Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall on radar 21 Yaris hybrid

YarisOAP

Anyone know what the recall is for

IIRC in some of the cars the radar cruise control malfunctions and reverts to just normal cruise control, i.e. doesn't slow down or stop when there are cars ahead - This is obviously undesirable :laugh: 

Might just be newer ones as I haven't been contacted about it on my 2020 april/may-ish built one. If anything mine has the opposite problem (Waaay to sensitive - Yesterday, on two separate occasions, it triggered the righthand-side brakes to pull me away from the curb because it thought I was going to crash into the parked cars, even tho' there was absolutely no danger because I was steering around an island - Thank smeg there wasn't anyone on the other side of the road!! :eek: I think I'm up to 90% false-positives with the AEB so far... the problem is that 10%, which is what has stopped me turning it off completely... )

• Like 1

It's the front radar is used as part of the Toyota safety sense as well as CC

I'm sure I have posted the info on the forum

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YarisOAP said:

Anyone know what the recall is for

Mine is going in for it tomorrow. As @Cyker has already outlined, it is a check of the sensor's functionality and accuracy. Mine is also a 2020 build and I am hoping that it will cure all the many false positives and false negatives that have happened on mine whilst I am out and about. (by false negatives, I mean not detecting the car in front on time when it is clearly within range)

• Like 1

The issue was it wasn't initialized at the factory on some cars

22SMD-016

Millimeter Wave Sensor Inspection and Initialization on Certain Multiple Models

MXPH11 VNKKBAC3#

0A000502 - 0A180535

06/07/2020 - 21/06/2021

• Like 1

I was already on Monday and the radar is OK

• Like 1

My 2020 Yaris is getting the recall done along with a service this Friday. Do not really use the cruise control but might as well get it checked and rectified if needed.

• Like 1

Yea I guess not so much opportunity to use it on what I imagine to be typical twisty welsh roads, but it's worth getting familiar with as it takes some of the tedium out of traffic jams and boring motorway runs!

Ours is going in for this on Monday.

Ours was done a couple of weeks ago. Not noticed any difference.  Ours is a '21 build

Booked in for tomorrow my problem with radar was cruise control at 40 mph approaching standstill traffic it don’t brake rest of time very good let’s hope it cures that ?

On 4/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, CPN said:

Mine is going in for it tomorrow. As @Cyker has already outlined, it is a check of the sensor's functionality and accuracy. Mine is also a 2020 build and I am hoping that it will cure all the many false positives and false negatives that have happened on mine whilst I am out and about. (by false negatives, I mean not detecting the car in front on time when it is clearly within range)

Recall done today. No remedial action needed apparently... 

I've had no notification from Toyota yet regarding this and mine is a 2021 model , it came up on the recall checker too...

3 hours ago, Jasper. said:

I've had no notification from Toyota yet regarding this and mine is a 2021 model , it came up on the recall checker too...

Same here, no notification, found on the Toyota website checker

7 hours ago, YarisOAP said:

Booked in for tomorrow my problem with radar was cruise control at 40 mph approaching standstill traffic it don’t brake rest of time very good let’s hope it cures that ?

Not sure it will, most adaptive cruise is only expecting 30 mph differential speed eg 30 to standstill or 40mph to 10mph or above. 

I believe the Mk4 will actually go from 70mph to stop while in ACC if it thinks there is a stationary car ahead, judging by how it's reacted when coming to stationary traffic on the motorway (Thanks Smart Motorways!). It's really not fun as it brakes very sharply if you don't do anything!

On 4/7/2022 at 12:17 AM, Cyker said:

Yea I guess not so much opportunity to use it on what I imagine to be typical twisty welsh roads, but it's worth getting familiar with as it takes some of the tedium out of traffic jams and boring motorway runs!

I used ACC on the autoroute in stop & go traffic for the first time yesterday, very useful. it does work down to a stop, but then you have to tell it (the car) to go again with the accelerator the it does stop.

OTOH, on faster moving dense traffic on the autoroute I think it's better to be in manual mode, although it's certain the ACC and the brakes work very quickly, and faster than a human, it can't see what's coming up behind and and hasn't the experience of what Richard Heads can do!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

I believe the Mk4 will actually go from 70mph to stop while in ACC if it thinks there is a stationary car ahead, judging by how it's reacted when coming to stationary traffic on the motorway (Thanks Smart Motorways!). It's really not fun as it brakes very sharply if you don't do anything!

I can vouch for that with personal experience! (...and the wife moaned a bucketful about it!!)

• Haha 1

Yeah, the ACC is nowhere near as good as a human at looking ahead and predicting and acting in advance. The car will just stay at constant (high) speed then suddenly be Oh look a stationary car, lets check our speed-distance tables, ah we should be doing 40mph less at this distance lets fix that RIGHT NOW BRAKESSSSS oh we stopped short lets POWER ON! and roll on a bit more to get to our exact programmed distance to the car in front then suddenly go from 3mph to 0mph instantly because nobody programmed us to finesse the brakes.

Whereas we'd be Oh a stationary car lift off now and then start gently increasing braking and finesse to a gentle stop, or not even stop at all as the traffic started moving again.

I always drive on ACC with my thumb over the cancel button now so if I see traffic ahead I can take over and coast down I had enough of testing the seatbelt locking mechanism... :laugh: 

The system works much better in crawling traffic and will actually stop much less jerkily, but it does ride the brakes like crazy.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

I am willing to stand corrected, not brave enough to try it though. Could be an interesting insurance claim!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

I always drive on ACC with my thumb over the cancel button now so if I see traffic ahead I can take over and coast down I had enough of testing the seatbelt locking mechanism... :laugh: 

What winds me up is the other half uses the brake pedal rather than the cancel button.

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, flash22 said:

It's the front radar is used as part of the Toyota safety sense as well as CC

I'm sure I have posted the info on the forum

I think I have a vague recollection of reading a post on this that said that it doesn’t apply to Yaris Hybrids manufactured after July 2021.???

I think it depends more on your VIN number, which seems to be a pretty specific range...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

I think I have a vague recollection of reading a post on this that said that it doesn’t apply to Yaris Hybrids manufactured after July 2021.???

Even though ours was a 71 plate it was built earlier than July so makes sense it was still recalled.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links