Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New dashboard icon showing, no idea what it means! Help!

Ripped off

Hello all you wise and knowledgeable people out there! Over the last two day while driving along a normal road (Rochdale road in Manchester) there has appeared a new icon on my dashboard. It shows where the speed icon normally is and is a blue box, with a white boarder and a white car in the centre. I have looked through the hand book, googled myself blind and cannot find what it means. I have even gone to the trouble of emailing my dealer. They haven't bothered to reply after three days, so I assume they don't know. So now I'm here, can someone out there (a) tell me what it means, (b) tell me if I should be concerned, (c) forget about it. It shows roughly in the same part of the road and stay on for around 1 mile. To muddy the waters further, Manchester are in the process of introducing a "clean air zone" e.g. looking to charge us off the road. I do not know if it is picking something up from the, however I cannot see any roadside signs that my prompt this behaviour.  So now over to you guys and girls, amaze me again! 👀 😉 😁

I have had the same symbol occasionally appear but never in a specific place. It has usually occurred at dawn , dusk or when there is poor visibility so I have put it down to the camera not reading signs properly.

• Thanks 1

A blue "box" with white border is a sign indicating e.g. "with-flow pedal cycle lane" with a bicycle in white. Blue circle signs give positive instruction. Is there an actual roadsign rather than an icon in the car? Are Manchester introducing high occupancy lanes?

I'd be more concerened with actual roadsigns!

The icon on the dashboard is is square and shows a car, no road side sign. I have made it a thing to double check all the signs since this started 😞 As far as the high occupancy lane, they have not said anything..... but doesn't mean they aren't going too!

Is there a number in the car? 

A square sign is informational.  A square sign with a car, a number, and times in the box and for car occupation lanes. 

That seems to contradict the information. 

If there is no number in the car but there are signs as I describe on the road then the in-car sign is a simplified version. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, no number or signs 🤔🙃

In Germany, the symbol means this:

'Posted at the beginning of the Two-lane Expressway (Kraftfahrstraße). An entrance to this road is restricted to motor vehicles.'

Have a look here:

https://routetogermany.com/drivingingermany/road-signs

I guess the car gets confused. I had this with a rental UK Corolla before - all the speed limits were displayed in km/h, so 130 kmh (80 mph) instead of 70 mph on the M5 😂

• Thanks 1

Thanks @bunnyrabbit03 I have taken one of the pic from that site to help others. It is like this only in light blue! Nice to see I'm not the only one confused about this. Some the road I am on is a 30 mph road, the icon only shows for around 1 - 2 miles of that road. There are no blue signs of any type along that road. Only happened in the last few days. As it's not red I'm not worried just interested. FYI Toyota Yaris, Hybrid Icon 21 plate. Speed displayed in MPH. Not speeding. Normal speed limit icon shows once this goes off. The fun of technology eh? Here is the direct link for anyone that is interested, poor think is getting as confused as me it seems! https://routetogermany.com/drivingingermany/city-driving#Expressway

Zusatzzeichen_1010-50_-_Kraftwagen_und_sonstige_mehrspurige_Fahrzeuge_(600x330),_StVO_2017.svg

It's the motorway entry sign, possibly as you get the near the M60 junction ??

• Thanks 1

@flash22  Funny it's only start showing it this week, but with what @bunnyrabbit03 has shown me you may be on to something! I said people on here were stars!

@flash22 Even at my age I would see something like this lol. As I say it's a main road from Rochdale to Middleton. It does pass the motorway, but the icon doesn't pop up until I approaching Queen Road a good mile from when I pass the slip road to the motorway.

car-g61bb3f263_640.thumb.png.e5f63feab019ca49c79c42ce1c826099.png

Dual carriageway ? Entrance to the A6010 ? (inner ring road) - I'm just going off of maps

• Thanks 1

@flash22 yep, funny it's only started this week? 🙃 But you may have nailed it 👀, thank you! Wonder what other new icons will pop up over the next few years? Thanks for taking the time to reply. 👍 👍 👍

• Like 1

Curious, I have only ever seen the speed limit sign, Corolla MY19. 

Others have reported seeing other signs too.  I have RSA selected. 

• Thanks 1

Hah, I asked the same question maybe a year or so ago :laugh: 

IIRC, it's not a sign we use in the UK. I still don't know where the car is picking it up from, but I think stopeter44 identified it as it is a sign they use in France where he is.

I can't find the thread but if I do I'll pop it in here...

Edit: Ah here we go!

• Like 1

Eeek I don't remember that on the test! :eek: :laugh: 

i have a head full of useless knowledge 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, the Blue square/white car sign means "expressway", almost a motorway but with some restrictions, like lower speed limits, and maybe some roundabouts.

In my case, most of the time, when I see it, the car is just "WAG"*ging it!

*Wild backside guess.

• Like 1

I’ve had this symbol with other strange ones randomly appearing. I just decided to ignore them. I had the motorway symbol appear when I’m at least 15 miles away from it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

I had the motorway symbol appear when I’m at least 15 miles away from it!

I get that one in our village sometimes!

• Haha 1

I can see the point of repeating speed limit signs on the dash, but some of this other stuff is just distraction. If you don't know what kind of road you are on ... 🤪

17 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I can see the point of repeating speed limit signs on the dash, but some of this other stuff is just distraction. If you don't know what kind of road you are on ... 🤪

This only works if it’s fit for purpose, and in my opinion it’s not. The road signs are random, seeing ones not for this country, it  highlights when your above the speed limit when your not etc etc

• 1 year later...

I hadvthis icon today for the first time. I was stationary, in a single lane,  waiting for traffic lights to change in a 30 mph zone. No idea why it suddenly popped up. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links