Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My exhaust is hanging low - scrapes road...

Mazzz

Hi, The exhaust on my E11 corolla 1999 is hanging low. The bracket that supports the silencer has rusted through after 23 years. Does anyone know what type of bracket i need to fix this? Will a big jubilee clip or a big tie-wrap work? Thanks

IMG_20220407_074445.jpg

Why not take it into an exhaust place and get it done properly and safely.?

Do not use a tie wrap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

Do not use a tie wrap.

It's just a temporary fix until payday 👍 and keep it off ground while I drive it to the exhaust place.

42 minutes ago, Mazzz said:

Hi, The exhaust on my E11 corolla 1999 is hanging low. The bracket that supports the silencer has rusted through after 23 years. Does anyone know what type of bracket i need to fix this? Will a big jubilee clip or a big tie-wrap work? Thanks

IMG_20220407_074445.jpg

Metal ties any sort or wire that has the required length will do it. If you fix it properly can last you ages 👌
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163845768146?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5qCCL5TDT3i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

or measure the length of the bracket that you need and cut a new one and fix it like original one. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Metal ties any sort or wire that has the required length will do it. If you fix it properly can last you ages 👌
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163845768146?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5qCCL5TDT3i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

or measure the length of the bracket that you need and cut a new one and fix it like original one. 

Thanks Tony. Good suggestions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUToyota said:

Do not use a tie wrap.

In my experience, it's the local mechanics and repair places that do the makeshift solutions and charge through the teeth...  I'd deffo recommend anyone with the DIY skills do a job like the exhaust themselves if they have the jack / stands and tools to do it safely.  

Had an older car which a mechanic had butchered by welding the exhaust sections together at some point... previous owner (my granny) had no idea that it was done that way and probs paid through the teeth for it. Whole pain then when it broke on down the pipe for us to replace..

• Thanks 1

All fixed now I used a STONGHOLD band to fix it...it's basically a DIY jubilee clip. 20 minutes, job done. Many thanks all.

IMG_20220407_193416.jpg

IMG_20220407_193434.jpg

6001c337a0992b5608bc57a6.jpeg

• Like 3

While the engine is running the exhaust vibrates constantly. There use to be some rubberized mounts holding it. Part metal to make contact with the heated exhaust and part rubber to absorb vibrations.
Depending on your mileage the exhaust will find itself detached again in the near future.

30 minutes ago, Popama said:

While the engine is running the exhaust vibrates constantly. There use to be some rubberized mounts holding it. Part metal to make contact with the heated exhaust and part rubber to absorb vibrations.
Depending on your mileage the exhaust will find itself detached again in the near future.

Yes, the rubber mount is still connected to the upper part of the original bracket to absorb vibration. The new band feeds through the same chassis loop as the original bracket. This is the original exhaust and has done over 100k miles. I can't complain 👍

• Like 1

I fixed mine but at another bracket with similar thing and lasts ages, it has been like that for 6 years and over 160k miles 👌 

0A5679D8-4563-4EE6-BEFF-C53885BEA610.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I fixed mine but at another bracket with similar thing and lasts ages, it has been like that for 6 years and over 160k miles 👌 

0A5679D8-4563-4EE6-BEFF-C53885BEA610.jpeg

Great job, Wow! 160k miles! Mine's only done 115k 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links