Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v Battery on 1.8 Hybrid.

Kental

Just out of interest as looking to get a jump starter suitable for our Yaris, what type of Battery does a 1.8 Corolla have?

Kental, lead acid under the bonnet whereas the 2.0, like the Yaris, will have an AGM. 

Jump starting on a 1. 8 Corolla is by a direct connection between Battery positive and a negative body part. 

To jump start cars without an accessible Battery use the positive and negative points in the engine bay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Kental, lead acid under the bonnet whereas the 2.0, like the Yaris, will have an AGM. 

Jump starting on a 1. 8 Corolla is by a direct connection between battery positive and a negative body part. 

To jump start cars without an accessible battery use the positive and negative points in the engine bay. 

I was thinking more regarding a CTEK type trickle charger whether it needs an AGM mode or not.

If you got a CTEK in mind look at the blurb, it should tell you if suitable or not I would think.

Get the CTEK 5 and it is for use with AGM as well as "normal", problem solved

26 minutes ago, Kental said:

I was thinking more regarding a CTEK type trickle charger whether it needs an AGM mode or not.

There is a difference between a jump starter and a trickle charger.  I answered the question you asked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Jump starting on a 1. 8 Corolla is by a direct connection between battery positive and a negative body part. 

To jump start cars without an accessible battery use the positive and negative points in the engine bay. 

Please do not make such overriding statements. I have a 2.0l TS and it does NOT have an AGM Battery. It have a standard gel Battery in the boot. 

That's weird, usually if the 12v is *inside* the car they usually specify AGM for safety reasons.

• Like 1

Let’s dig a bit into the matter, here interesting information, it seems agm and gel batteries are very similar but the agm been the better ones in recent years. 
https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-nz/varta-battery-support/battery-basics/agm-batteries-vs-gel-batteries

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kental said:

CTEK is an excellent purchase - very pleased with mine 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's weird, usually if the 12v is *inside* the car they usually specify AGM for safety reasons.

Inside the car is under the seat (aka Yaris 4) in the boot is less of a risk as doesn’t have a vent directly against passengers legs, BMW have done it for decades so not as controlled.

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

There is a difference between a jump starter and a trickle charger.  I answered the question you asked. 

Apologies you are right I poorly asked my original question, I was meaning for both uses.

4 hours ago, Ian.S said:

Please do not make such overriding statements. I have a 2.0l TS and it does NOT have an AGM battery. It have a standard gel battery in the boot. 

I’m slightly confused, I thought the G in AGM was gel. Happy to be corrected.

Right, slightly belts and braces 

CTEK 5 along with a Halfords Advanced Lithium Jump Starter should keep us covered for the Yaris and forthcoming Corolla. Halfords one looks a great price currently.

Halfords jump pack

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Absorbent Glass Mat 

Sorry got confused with absorbent and gel, thinking similar 

Just out of interest, I will be leaving my Corolla for a week, on the street, whilst I have my first holiday in the UK for three years. I have an AA solar trickle charger that I was going to connect to the OBD socket whilst the car is unattended, which, hopefully, will be all that is required - the car will be, after all, just a couple of months old! However, I have a jump starter if the worse comes to the worse. Now to the point of this post - if the 12v Battery never goes flat, how do you tell if the jump starter is working as it will never be needed to be used? Is it a bit like insurance, you pay for it but hope you never have to use it?

Danny boy, quite. 

I was in the 'lucky' situation of finding out.  Our car was unused last month for 10 days when we caught Covid.  It had just had a 3 hour run before laying up. 

I checked the Battery a couple of times and it was holding up. If went flat quite rapidly towards the end. I had the option of charging it or jumping.  I decided to use the Battery pack and it worked perfectly. 

As long as you monitor the jumper pack charge over time it should work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if I could jump start my car with my golf trolley Battery? Probably not because I think the trolley Battery is 14v. Still - would be funny in a way 🙂

• Haha 1

Should be able to theoretically, assume it is actually 14v and not e.g. 16v!!!

Yikes! Maybe only use it to help truckers then :laugh: 

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:08 PM, dannyboy413 said:

Just out of interest, I will be leaving my Corolla for a week, on the street, whilst I have my first holiday in the UK for three years. I have an AA solar trickle charger that I was going to connect to the OBD socket whilst the car is unattended, which, hopefully, will be all that is required - the car will be, after all, just a couple of months old! However, I have a jump starter if the worse comes to the worse. Now to the point of this post - if the 12v battery never goes flat, how do you tell if the jump starter is working as it will never be needed to be used? Is it a bit like insurance, you pay for it but hope you never have to use it?

Hi Dannyboy,

I'm looking at the AA 4.8w solar charger plugged in via the EOBD port however I'm hugely reluctant to plug anything powered into the port due to some rather distressing outcomes listed in online reviews.

Probably being over cautious but would be interested in your feedback after leaving the solar charger plugged in while you were away. Also did you use the 4.8w version or the lower powered AA one?

I have a Jan 20 registered 1.8 Corolla HB so also hoping it's the same spec port as your saloon.

Hi @Frosted  Firstly an apology and correction - what I should have said is that "I have an AA solar trickle charger on order that I was going to connect to the OBD socket whilst the car is unattended" - oops!  The one I have on order is the 4.8w version. I have read numerous reviews, the majority of which seem very positive, if it is used correctly. Apparently, a few people have blown fuses by switching on the ignition whilst the charger is still connected to the OBD point. The charger should be delivered immediately after Easter and I will be testing it before the holiday, so I will report back. Although models for the Irish market vary from the models for the UK market, I would presume that something like the OBD port would be the same in all models - maybe somebody could confirm or deny this?

• Like 1