Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opening the tail gate from inside

Antonio2

Hello everyone.

This week when placing a rucksack in the boot of my IQ, I inadvertently closed the hatch down on to a stray strap on the bag. 

When attempting to open the hatch at my destination, the hatch would not open. When reaching into the boot, to try and retrieve the bag, it was apparent that the strap was trapped.  After much struggling, applying pressure to the hatch, AND pressing the boot unlock button, I did eventually manage to open the hatch. Fortunately, there was no damage to the lock.

Just wondering if anybody knows if the actual tail gate lock mechanism has a "emergency release" catch. My previous car did - but in fairness,  it did not have a electronic boot lock mechanism. Many thanks.

• 4 months later...

It would appear that the same latch is used in other Toyota vehicles like the RAV4/Highlander, Scion xB/xD and it would seem that those have a manual release cord attached to the lock mechanism.  I have not checked mine to see if it might be tucked behind the panel or not.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801710015244.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274527146604

7 minutes ago, BZP2021 said:

it would seem that those have a manual release cord attached to the lock mechanism

Believe these manual releases are a requirement for the US market, but not for Europe, so European models don't have them.

• Like 1

Presumably so people locked in the trunk can get out. 😁

• Haha 1

Apparently being kidnapped and thrown in the boot is such a big problem in the USA they mandated internal boot releases! More useful in saloons than hatchbacks, but still!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Apparently being kidnapped and thrown in the boot is such a big problem in the USA they mandated internal boot releases!

Would like to see the person kidnapped and thrown into the IQ's 32 litre boot .... Could be a bit of a squeeze.

• Haha 1

Having just looked on eBay at second-hand IQ tail-gate locks, none of them had a release cord attached. Must be a USA option as suggested above.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Apparently being kidnapped and thrown in the boot is such a big problem in the USA they mandated internal boot releases! More useful in saloons than hatchbacks, but still!

From what I read and have seen on films, it is really not a good idea to get into the boot of a car in the USA, or anywhere else come to think of it.

Apparently, it is much the preferable option if you are still alive, to run screaming,naked, and bound at the hands with duct tape in the general direction of far away.

I think the professional sorts call it being transported to a secondary location, which always ends badly.

I reckon I will follow my old dad's advice, and do not go looking for trouble, it comes to your door soon enough.😆

• Haha 2