Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Estima hybrid fuel consumption

Mazherus

Hi guys, just bought Toyota estima hybrid 2008. Could someone share fuel consumption for this car?

Appreciate your help

Mine is 2007. Before fitting cruise control I was managing about 300miles between tank fills (to brim) (mostly around town). However after using cruise control on a longer journey it went up to 380 miles. About 35 mpg is the best I have had.

I have recently installed a Tunit eco unit and I am very light on the throttle and brakes always looking ahead predicting when lights change etc.

The fuel used also makes a big difference. E5 E10. Cant remember which one is which but the new standard bio  increases consumption significantly.

PS How do I fit a speed limiter that works down to 20MPH?  My cruise control has a lower limit of 25MPG so not very useful with so many 20 zones.

I hope this is useful

i have 2007 toyota estima 2.4 petrol it is not a hybrid i am getting 35 mpg.

That's very good, on par with the hybrid ones! :laugh: 

1 hour ago, pakman said:

i have 2007 toyota estima 2.4 petrol it is not a hybrid i am getting 35 mpg.

I assume that a best, not an average.?

If it was me with such a luxurious land yacht I'd forget about the MPG and pick your V6!!! :laugh: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

If it was me with such a luxurious land yacht I'd forget about the MPG and pick your V6!!! :laugh: 

Correct...lol....I've had no regrets at all and frankly the V6 is not that much different to the 2.4 when it comes to mpg...it is such a smooth, unstressed engine.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about fuel costs too much as I only do about 5k miles each year in it.

It's a joy to be in and still a joy to drive even after 6 years.

• Like 1

The only time I did any sort of rough check on my V6 was a few years ago...I calculated 32/33mpg on a mixed motoring run of some 200 hundred miles in Summer. (was well happy with that)

Shorter runs in Winter with all the leccy stuff working as well would bring my V6 down to 20-ish I reckon...your 2.4 would no doubt see a notable reduction.

I'd guess my average mpg would be 25/26...and that's fine.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, Cyker said:

Wish I could do that... 😞 however living within the London ULEZ makes that a very expensive option. 😂

It's petrol so it shouldn't be affected by the ULEZ - Where I had to get rid of my Mk1 Yaris D4D ( :crybaby: ) a friend is still driving their <20mpg >£500/yr-to-tax-because-its-CO2-is-so-high 3.0 V6 Lexus RX because the government believe that is cleaner and better for the environment than my tiny frugal Yaris was... :crazy:

I'm not bitter... :furious:

That said I don't want to think about how much the fuel costs for that beast would be :laugh:  (Which is why instead of a giant luxurious land yacht I have a tiny spine-crippling hybrid Yaris :laugh: )

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's petrol so it shouldn't be affected by the ULEZ - Where I had to get rid of my Mk1 Yaris D4D ( :crybaby: ) a friend is still driving their <20mpg >£500/yr-to-tax-because-its-CO2-is-so-high 3.0 V6 Lexus RX because the government believe that is cleaner and better for the environment than my tiny frugal Yaris was... :crazy:

I'm not bitter... :furious:

That said I don't want to think about how much the fuel costs for that beast would be :laugh:  (Which is why instead of a giant luxurious land yacht I have a tiny spine-crippling hybrid Yaris :laugh: )

The 3.0 litre/V6 in the Lexus RX is precisely the same engine that's in my Estima..the 1MZ-FE...so it will be returning pretty much the same mpg as mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it is a short run and mostly in town, but that's what a Hybrid is for.

Tomorrow I have to travel over 100miles mostly motorway and i will share my score after the trip.

20220504_190415.jpg

20220504_190528.jpg

So I done my Wigan ->Northampton trip today.

Wigan to Stoke it was 60 speed limit then Stoke to Northampton 70 cruise control on. On speedo 70mph GPS speed 107km/h.

20220505_163632.jpg

20220505_163537.jpg

On 5/4/2022 at 7:22 PM, Beduin_ said:

I know it is a short run and mostly in town, but that's what a Hybrid is for.

Tomorrow I have to travel over 100miles mostly motorway and i will share my score after the trip.

20220504_190415.jpg

20220504_190528.jpg

Hi what is this that your using to show these results thanks in advace 

• Like 1

Hey.

I'm using Hybrid Assistant.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=priusfan.info.bthsd10

Unfortunately if you are Apple user you won't be able to use it. It is only for Android devices.

App is free to use, but you will have to buy OBD reader. Recommended one cost arround £75.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I just fill up my fuel tank second time and I was able to calculate average petrol usage.

Total driving distance 440miles/709km.

Petrol used 54l

Average fuel consumption 7,61 l/100km 37.1 mpg.

Around 260km/161miles was 2 motorway trips, rest was daily in town usage and commute.

All together I take it as a good score considering vehicle size/weight and engine size.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

After some more long runs to London now that Covid restrictions are over I have some more interesting Tank to tank full figures.

Using E5 (Cruise control at 60 MPH) and the plug in module for improved economy

Summer (August) 43.01 mpg (BP ultimate E5) best distance 468 miles

Autumn (Sept) 39.04 mpg (Morrisons E10 plus topup with E5 BP)

Winter (end November) 38.57 (BP ultimate E5)

Conclusion: can safely achieve around 440 miles between fillups (Bradford /London round trip)

Note: I agree Around 54.0L is the capacity from low fuel warning to tank brim

Hope this is useful

• 1 year later...

I have 09 Estima Hybrid, when I bought this car 3 years ago, this car came with new 205/65/16 tyres and wheels , I think it's a 2.4 base model tires, I didn't do any maintenance and modify on the car in the first year, all fuel from Costco 97e5, I often have full load of the car ie: 5 to 7 people or 300 plus KG good from wholesale, half city half motorway, no performance when fully loaded, MPG 28 worst 32 best.

I am not happy about that MPG, our 92 Estima Lucida 4WD even though there is no performance, using Costco diesel B7 return 29 MPG average, my family's Lexus RX400h using Costco 97e5 return 30 MPG average when driving the same distance doing same thing.

2 year ago before my first MOT,I refurbishment of electrical things, fine tune some replaceable parts, and replace better coolant and oil.

Full service:

new air filter

engine oil : 0w-40 Mobil 1 very good(I never try 0w20, 5w-20 and 0w30, I tried 5w30 and 0w40) but I now using 5w30 change every 5000 miles

replace cvt and final drive with Toyota WS oil.

Coolant replace with 130oC instead of 108oC red coolant ,Estima Hybrid has high compression engine, they don't like over heat, I feel less engine noise and better performance by using 130oC coolant.

Electrical refurbishment:

I am not advise others to do it, because there is a certain risk, if you forgot to turn off power or disconnect Battery, you may destroy a component by remove a connector. 

Clean and resolder or replace any ground terminal I was able to reach, inspect and clean all the connector I was able to reach.

Fine tune: if you want better performance and less engine noise

you have nothing to tune in nowadays car, unless you have a car repair computer but there are three more things to play with, they are ignition coil, spark plugs and oil filter.

start from oil filter,  this 2.4 engine use spin on oil filter if your engine use filter elements like some new V6, just buy the more paper good quality one than your will be fine, 2.4 engine can accept both 78mm & 66mm outer diameter and about 90mm height, Toyota original may be 78mm diameter, from ECP they have 3 choose, I use mann filter for example, they have 610/1, 610/9 and 712/83, I find out that 610/1 for Toyota 1.6 & 2.0, 610/9 for Toyota 2.4 like Camry Avensis, 712/83 for 6 or 8 cylinder like IS200 or RX400H, I recommend using the maximum size, ECP web site mann 712/83 is 89mm height but the real thing is about 79, so I go to try 2 ever longer oil filter with 78mm diameter and same bypass valve opening pressure at 1 bar, they are Ford filter for 80s-90s Sierra Mondeo 1.8TD 100mm height and Focus 2.0 petrol 123mm height, both have same 1 bar bypass valve, after using the biggest filter the engine noise nearly disappearing and no more crazy engine noise when hand acceleration.

Ignition coil and spark plugs are easy for me, need a good multi meter measure the impedance or resistant of the Ignition coil and spark plugs, place the one with the least resistance value on the far left.

after all the above refurbishment the best I did was 45MPG fully loaded motorway from Sheffield to Birmingham return with speed less than 60mph lorry speed, motorway 38-40MPG, 50% motorway 50% city 35-38MPG, about 2MPG less in winter, not using air-con in hot day 1-2MPG less, Battery will not charge at full current when they feel hot, never 100% city, never school run, Costco 97e5 420miles max 400miles most of the time, Tesco 99e5 450miles max, Costco 19.5p/miles Tesco 20p/miles last year price, because Costco always 6-10p cheaper than Tesco, but you have less performance by using 97e5, all the about was using small tyres 205/65/16.

last year I changed tyres back to original diameter but with 16 inch wheels 215/65/16, I bought 4 Michelin latitude Tour HP to replace the old small tyres come with the van, it is SUV all weather tyres, the driving is very stable when rains and snows, less performance compared with the small tyres but never reach 40 MPG, 38MPG was my best, last 2 tank about 34-35Mpg, the worst is 32mpg in winter month ,3 MPG less average.  

It takes 3 refuelling cycles to stabilize the fuel consumption, even if you are from 99e5 to 97e5.

Don't modify, A healthy vehicle driving slowly at OEM specification can also save fuel, but when...............................