Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Heater problem(Overheating)

Exvec

2006 Avensis Estate T25 2.0d4d. 83,000 miles.

This happened today ,the cars heater started to blow cold air but the temp gauge was showing normal,only to start to overheat after a few minutes.

?Any one know what might be the cause.

26 minutes ago, Exvec said:

This happened today ,the cars heater started to blow cold air but the temp gauge was showing normal,only to start to overheat after a few minutes.

Usually it’s a faulty thermostat not opening when the water temperatures get hot, thus preventing the coolant from circulating to cool the engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Usually it’s a faulty thermostat not opening when the water temperatures get hot, thus preventing the coolant from circulating to cool the engine.

when is a good idea to change those i have a 2014 with 47k on the clock  2.0 d4d 1adftv 

9 hours ago, Exvec said:

First thing to do is check the coolant level.  Not sure about your particular car but usually there’s a small expansion tank feeding the radiator.  Also check the radiator.  Make sure you do this with engine cold in case of scald risk.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2009joe said:

when is a good idea to change those i have a 2014 with 47k on the clock  2.0 d4d 1adftv 

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it 😀. That’s my theory of most things, but of course doesn’t apply for everything. Thermostats can conk out at any time, you could renew it if you want and it could could go wrong at any time, so I wouldn’t renew it until I have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Water pump failed perhaps, if no coolant circulation no heating its the first problem to occur followed by engine overheating and the rest if you continue to drive.
If thermostat has failed closed the engine may overheat too but the heater fan can will cool it down and no problems as long as water pump is operational.  
If thermostat is stuck open the engine will warm up slower than usual and when driving on speeds over 50-60mph the car will loose heat, the temp gauge will drop noticeably. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it 😀. That’s my theory of most things, but of course doesn’t apply for everything. Thermostats can conk out at any time, you could renew it if you want and it could could go wrong at any time, so I wouldn’t renew it until I have to.

+1 👍

• Like 1

The Corollary, if is doesn't work it won't get better on a journey 

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Water pump failed perhaps, if no coolant circulation no heating its the first problem to occur followed by engine overheating and the rest if you continue to drive.
If thermostat has failed closed the engine may overheat too but the heater fan can will cool it down and no problems as long as water pump is operational.  
If thermostat is stuck open the engine will warm up slower than usual and when driving on speeds over 50-60mph the car will loose heat, the temp gauge will drop noticeably. 

Hi Tony,I wouldn't have thought it was the water pump as it isn't losing any coolant,but i maybe wrong,i did the old test of feeling the bottom hose as the car is warming on my drive and it did get hot so at that point i thought it wasn't the water pump,but after picking the wife up from work a round journey of 8 miles with the heater blowing cold,and the temp gauge reading half way as it normally does.When i got home i felt the bottom hose which was cold ,so this has to be an  intermittently faulty Thermostat Right .would you agree 

1 minute ago, Exvec said:

Hi Tony,I wouldn't have thought it was the water pump as it isn't losing any coolant,but i maybe wrong,i did the old test of feeling the bottom hose as the car is warming on my drive and it did get hot so at that point i thought it wasn't the water pump,but after picking the wife up from work a round journey of 8 miles with the heater blowing cold,and the temp gauge reading half way as it normally does.When i got home i felt the bottom hose which was cold ,so this has to be an  intermittently faulty Thermostat Right .would you agree 

Yes, can be thermostat too and an air locked into the system, could also be a blocked heater core too. You have to test that as well to see if water is circulating through the core. 👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all replies on this ,the car now is back to normal after fitting a new Thermostat ,and back flushing the the Heater Core.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1