Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Airco Cleaner (and further doubts on car condition)

SB1500

Since buying the car there's been a bit of a rotten smell which goes away after the first start of the day.  I changed the cabin filter a couple of months ago, since the smell might have been related to that... but nope, still there.  

I bought some Toyota Airco Cleaner spray from the Burrow's eBay store - genuine stuff.

IMG_5465.thumb.jpeg.a36fbd4abe85460b898568cb81879636.jpeg

Removed the plastic scuttle panel on the passenger side to find the air intake. That's where this particular bottle says it must be put in (I saw the videos on YouTube showing a different two part genuine air con cleaner but couldn't find it in the UK).  The little hose went right in, and it said to spray the entire bottle. Problem was, half way through it foamed up to coming out of the intake - I let it go a while, then decided to spray some into the deepest part of each interior air vent (that might not have been recommended) including those under the two front seats. 

IMG_5464.thumb.jpeg.d15c9b560d2e130641745992c2f1ea75.jpeg

Then you wait 30-45 mins for it to drain out as a liquid - which it did from under the car from the AC system drain pipe. 

Whether or not it works, I will report back. The car sure does smell fresh (if not a little strong with chemicals). 

IMG_5468.thumb.jpeg.b03d5ef08a96cc853e88b3d380d172e9.jpeg

Second part is whilst doing this and waiting, I cleaned up all around the intake and the scuttle panel itself and discovered some blue markings under the part... This is making me think the car has been rebuilt frankly. I've had some doubts this year to be honest and I posted the other day about the paint being a bit funny looking on the lower side doors...  

Surely nobody at the Burnaston factory was walking around with a blue marker numbering parts to go on mass produced cars?!

Question is... does this give me enough proof to potentially reject the car?  If it's damaged and repaired - whether the independent used car dealer knew it or not - I feel this is sufficient grounds to reject the car. Why would this rarely replaced panel have ever needed replaced? I don't particularly want to part with the car having put £400 into brakes, £100+ into servicing and things like that. My uncle said even if it has been damaged and repaired, it's been done so to the point where the cars running perfect, driving perfect so it'll never bite me in the ***** down the line like some botch jobs might... BUT it's sort of the principle. A Category S/D/whatever car would be a few grand less than one that's 'fine'.  Should I dispute this? 4/6 months warranty so far.. had the car around 3 months now.  They still have some obligation to me, and also the Consumer Rights Act (or Sale of Goods Act) I'm sure covers situations like this? 

IMG_5475.thumb.jpeg.86b16d2708106f8b4adcb671d1255bb5.jpeg

...and finally, I cleaned up the scuttle plates with some bug and tar remover, wiped down to clean and some trim gel rubbed on to keep it black and fresh looking (albeit surely not for too long). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

Since buying the car there's been a bit of a rotten smell which goes away after the first start of the day.  I changed the cabin filter a couple of months ago, since the smell might have been related to that... but nope, still there.  

I bought some Toyota Airco Cleaner spray from the Burrow's eBay store - genuine stuff.

Removed the plastic scuttle panel on the passenger side to find the air intake. That's where this particular bottle says it must be put in (I saw the videos on YouTube showing a different two part genuine air con cleaner but couldn't find it in the UK).  The little hose went right in, and it said to spray the entire bottle. Problem was, half way through it foamed up to coming out of the intake - I let it go a while, then decided to spray some into the deepest part of each interior air vent (that might not have been recommended) including those under the two front seats. 

Then you wait 30-45 mins for it to drain out as a liquid - which it did from under the car from the AC system drain pipe. 

Whether or not it works, I will report back. The car sure does smell fresh (if not a little strong with chemicals). 

Second part is whilst doing this and waiting, I cleaned up all around the intake and the scuttle panel itself and discovered some blue markings under the part... This is making me think the car has been rebuilt frankly. I've had some doubts this year to be honest and I posted the other day about the paint being a bit funny looking on the lower side doors...  

Surely nobody at the Burnaston factory was walking around with a blue marker numbering parts to go on mass produced cars?!

Question is... does this give me enough proof to potentially reject the car?  If it's damaged and repaired - whether the independent used car dealer knew it or not - I feel this is sufficient grounds to reject the car. Why would this rarely replaced panel have ever needed replaced? I don't particularly want to part with the car having put £400 into brakes, £100+ into servicing and things like that. My uncle said even if it has been damaged and repaired, it's been done so to the point where the cars running perfect, driving perfect so it'll never bite me in the ***** down the line like some botch jobs might... BUT it's sort of the principle. A Category S/D/whatever car would be a few grand less than one that's 'fine'.  Should I dispute this? 4/6 months warranty so far.. had the car around 3 months now.  They still have some obligation to me, and also the Consumer Rights Act (or Sale of Goods Act) I'm sure covers situations like this? 

...and finally, I cleaned up the scuttle plates with some bug and tar remover, wiped down to clean and some trim gel rubbed on to keep it black and fresh looking (albeit surely not for too long). 

i seen that on the youtube but this video shane i thought was a good idea 

what do you think of this instead 

4 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

i seen that on the youtube but this video shane i thought was a good idea 

what do you think of this instead 

Scotty Kilmer is a legend, big Toyota fan too.  The spray cans are ok but the stuff I got was genuine Toyota stuff the dealers use, and gets right into the evaporator / condenser (or some part of the system that sounds complicated) lol 

• Like 2

I found in the past the best thing is to switch to fresh air and max heat and let the fan run at max with the AC off for a few minutes before you turn the car off if you've been using the AC extensively.

That helps flush out any moist air in the system. With the Mk4's climate control it's a lot more fiddly as you can't just flick everything to max like you can in simpler cars.

I disabled an option (Something like efficient ventilation) and my Mk4 began to get that nasty rotting swamp smell, so I turned it back on and it's been a lot better so I figure that must be switching between recirc and fresh automatically to stop too much buildup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SB1500 said:

i must take off my pannel to see if there are blue marks on mine as i think these toyota avensis are all made in the same factory in england as as you say shane why would there be a blue writing on your car there kina crazy if you ask me have you got a neck on you is it possible to ring the owner of the car that had it before you before the dealer that they could tell you about it i did that one time myself as well my last car the guy said was a good one and well tbh it was a good one i had it nearly 11 years and no bother the seat toledo 1.9tdi she was a great car i have to admit 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Hi, 

why would you like to reject the car after you had done so many work on it, spent a lots of money and effort ? Even if they agree to take it back they will pay you less from what you had paid to them plus the parts and labour you are looking at big loss. 
I also don’t think that you have any evidence yet of the car been involved in accident and repaired, you need to show them structural work on the body, panels, wings, rails, anything that it’s obvious done. These plastics sometimes comes from factories with markings on them. It is not unusual.
If Joe can look at his one will be a huge help to you, since you have same cars.👍 

For the AC cleaning and getting rid of nasty smells the best procedure is:

remove pollen filter then spray antibacterial spray( aerosol) like dettol straight into the air intake from outside while the car is ON and hvac is working.
Air intake from outside only mode, change air flow settings few times to make sure the chemicals flow through all ducts. 
Leave the engine running for 30 min with temperatures setting at max and fan speed 2., change air flow again during the procedure. This will rise temperature of the air flow to very high and it will kill the bacteria and any fungus formed along the hvac hoses and ducts. 
It’s not a problem if you don’t use AC all the time but it’s a big problem if hvac fan been turned off often, always keep it spinning as this is what helps the system to get properly ventilated and stops forming of bacteria that causes the bad smells. Using temperature settings of 20+ C° in winter also helps against any moisture and smells. Replace pollen filter with new more often 10k miles max or 12 months. 👍

• Thanks 2

On 4/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

why would you like to reject the car after you had done so many work on it, spent a lots of money and effort ? Even if they agree to take it back they will pay you less from what you had paid to them plus the parts and labour you are looking at big loss. 

I know - it'd be a hateful proposition. I did a lot to my last car as well, all to waste. The whole idea of doing all this maintenance - and going a little OTT was to keep the car for its lifetime.  I'd not accept any less than I bought it for (12k) but I'd still be at a near £700 loss when you add up the service, brakes, fluid changes, etc.

I also don’t think that you have any evidence yet of the car been involved in accident and repaired, you need to show them structural work on the body, panels, wings, rails, anything that it’s obvious done. These plastics sometimes comes from factories with markings on them. It is not unusual.
If Joe can look at his one will be a huge help to you, since you have same cars.👍 

That's true. My only real fear would be covered up structural damage, but there is no hard evidence of that. So far, it's 50/50 if the car has been damaged up the side (perhaps hit a wall or something when parking, or another car brushed it) though it'd be a mystery to me why that scuttle panel was replaced.  There is an original Toyota etched windscreen too, I suspect a cracked one would be replaced with an Autoglass special no-name part - and even a minor bash would probably crack the windscreen. But it appears original. 

I'm glad you say that about the marking - in my mind, I couldn't see why the factory would do this at all. I'll definitely get a look at Joe's sometime when we eventually get a meet. 

I reckon since it's a used car, superficial repairs would be considered reasonable (so long as not structural) so I wouldn't be able to argue that.

For the AC cleaning and getting rid of nasty smells the best procedure is:

remove pollen filter then spray antibacterial spray( aerosol) like dettol straight into the air intake from outside while the car is ON and hvac is working.
Air intake from outside only mode, change air flow settings few times to make sure the chemicals flow through all ducts. 
Leave the engine running for 30 min with temperatures setting at max and fan speed 2., change air flow again during the procedure. This will rise temperature of the air flow to very high and it will kill the bacteria and any fungus formed along the hvac hoses and ducts. 
It’s not a problem if you don’t use AC all the time but it’s a big problem if hvac fan been turned off often, always keep it spinning as this is what helps the system to get properly ventilated and stops forming of bacteria that causes the bad smells. Using temperature settings of 20+ C° in winter also helps against any moisture and smells. Replace pollen filter with new more often 10k miles max or 12 months. 👍

I'll give this a go if it comes back. I have to admit, Toyota's Airco cleaner has worked so far. I'm impressed.  It's a very clinical chemical smell but one that isn't too overbearing (like a Turtle Wax spray produce I used) but it smells like there are serious agents at work in that foam.  

I sprayed inside each of the vents (the instructions didn't say to so that was my chancery), but my idea was this would kill any bacteria or gunk that found its way inside - I'm thinking the under seat vents someone might have spilled something inside of in the past. 

So far it's working but I'll report back if my original smell problem comes back. 

For £14 - if it works - I think that's a bargain. It's a Toyota branded product, but I suspect 'Airco cleaner' is made by another company who white labels it out to Toyota and other names. But the approval from Toyota as a dealer treatment means a lot to fussy owners like me.

• Thanks 2

On 4/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, SB1500 said:

I know - it'd be a hateful proposition. I did a lot to my last car as well, all to waste. The whole idea of doing all this maintenance - and going a little OTT was to keep the car for its lifetime.  I'd not accept any less than I bought it for (12k) but I'd still be at a near £700 loss when you add up the service, brakes, fluid changes, etc.

That's true. My only real fear would be covered up structural damage, but there is no hard evidence of that. So far, it's 50/50 if the car has been damaged up the side (perhaps hit a wall or something when parking, or another car brushed it) though it'd be a mystery to me why that scuttle panel was replaced.  There is an original Toyota etched windscreen too, I suspect a cracked one would be replaced with an Autoglass special no-name part - and even a minor bash would probably crack the windscreen. But it appears original. 

I'm glad you say that about the marking - in my mind, I couldn't see why the factory would do this at all. I'll definitely get a look at Joe's sometime when we eventually get a meet. 

I reckon since it's a used car, superficial repairs would be considered reasonable (so long as not structural) so I wouldn't be able to argue that.

I'll give this a go if it comes back. I have to admit, Toyota's Airco cleaner has worked so far. I'm impressed.  It's a very clinical chemical smell but one that isn't too overbearing (like a Turtle Wax spray produce I used) but it smells like there are serious agents at work in that foam.  

I sprayed inside each of the vents (the instructions didn't say to so that was my chancery), but my idea was this would kill any bacteria or gunk that found its way inside - I'm thinking the under seat vents someone might have spilled something inside of in the past. 

So far it's working but I'll report back if my original smell problem comes back. 

For £14 - if it works - I think that's a bargain. It's a Toyota branded product, but I suspect 'Airco cleaner' is made by another company who white labels it out to Toyota and other names. But the approval from Toyota as a dealer treatment means a lot to fussy owners like me.

i got a tin of that stuff  im going to try this method with it 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi @all,

Isn't the the air intake on the passenger side going straight to the fan that sucks the air from outside and pushes it into the evaporator?

I'm wondering if all the foam actually flooded, first, the air cabin filter than the A/C blower motor.....?

Thank you

7 hours ago, toyotaauris2014 said:

Hi @all,

Isn't the the air intake on the passenger side going straight to the fan that sucks the air from outside and pushes it into the evaporator?

I'm wondering if all the foam actually flooded, first, the air cabin filter than the A/C blower motor.....?

Thank you

I can't remember if I removed the cabin filter, but it definitely should have been removed / I would remove it if I did this again. 

Anytime I turn on the air conditioning now, I can still get a vague smell of that product - a nice clean smell / new machine kind of smell. This is now over a year later. I'd definitely do it again if I had similar issues. I'd probably get it from the dealer though.