Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashcam Fitting Suggestions

Jonathak56

3 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I'll be fitting my 6 year-old Rexing camera to my wifes new Yaris. It's not wi-fi, but it does the job and they still provide firmware updates.

I always thing that is a mark of a good company that they keep giving updates.  A good few years ago I purchased a rather expensive Hewlett Packard scanner for Windows XP and just over a year later I upgraded to Windows 7 only to find HP never produced a Windows 7 driver for the scanner so I now had a very expensive paperweight.  I have never since purchased anything from HP and during my time working in a camera and later a computer shop, whenever I was asked what I would recommend HP never figured on the list.

• Like 1

I’ve got an HP laptop - which has been excellent. Very fast and reliable. Problems I’ve had are with Windows 11! 🥴

Boo! Death to Windows 11! And also 10!

I have seen a few Toyota installs and most had camera installed too high, above the wiper line, so when the windscreen is dirty or it is raining, camera cannot record a clear picture. All used a power source from OBD connector.
In my experience, there is absolutely no difference how to hardwire a Dashcam on the hybrid on non hybrid car. I did a few: Prius, Auris, RAV4 mk5 (2 of them), Seat Leon, VW Tiguan. One thing that applies to all, be very careful if you want to use parking mode, as a lot of them deplete 12v Battery very quickly, for this reason I never used it and will not recommend it. Back to the hardwire process, you just need to find an ACC fuse (usually internal power socket) and use a piggyback connector that comes with the hardwire kit.  Have a read here, I detailed the installation in my RAV4

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rav4ster said:

I have seen a few Toyota installs and most had camera installed too high, above the wiper line, so when the windscreen is dirty or it is raining, camera cannot record a clear picture. All used a power source from OBD connector.
In my experience, there is absolutely no difference how to hardwire a dashcam on the hybrid on non hybrid car. I did a few: Prius, Auris, RAV4 mk5 (2 of them), Seat Leon, VW Tiguan. One thing that applies to all, be very careful if you want to use parking mode, as a lot of them deplete 12v battery very quickly, for this reason I never used it and will not recommend it. Back to the hardwire process, you just need to find an ACC fuse (usually internal power socket) and use a piggyback connector that comes with the hardwire kit.  Have a read here, I detailed the installation in my RAV4

My dash cam is powered from the 12V socket so that parking mode will not work with the engine off.  What I do if I want to run parking mode I use a 12V to USB adapter, plug the dash cam into that and the USB end into a power bank.  The Dash cam spends most of it's time in sleep mode only fully waking if movement is detected so the power bank is normally sufficient to run the camera  overnight.  Main thing is it has no impact on the cars main Battery.  

Hi.

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

Many Dashcam will run on internal power and wake up of the car is disturbed. 

Regarding Hornets suggestion, I use such a power pack, in my case, for a different job it is USB in to USB out as I need a 5v supply.