Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo Mk2 clutch problems.

Xpcoindetective

Hi Everybody, was considering recently purchasing a Mk2 Toyota Aygo,  but my big concern is its reliability issues and build quality. 

I presently own a Mk1 yaris diesel and have had practically no problems, its 2005 and as not had 1 single hiccup up until now just hitting 123000 miles. 

I was looking to get away from diesels and buy a small petrol the Aygo mk2 appears to fit the bill, but who makes the gearbox for this vehicle? I know the engine is built by Daihatsu and is very good quality but what about everything else I hate French cars had one years ago bad gearbox and endless cosmetic problems. 

Can anyone advise me if the Aygo is a good buy or not?

I have read that the Aygo is somehow based on the Citroën C1 and Peugeot if this is the case have Toyota ruined a bullet proof little gem by using these parts or can I be proven wrong somehow.

I understand that the clutch on the gearbox was upgraded larger clutch plate after 2009 can anyone verify that and did it solve the problems? 

Thanks

Andy

It's a Toyota gearbox, regarding the engine apart from the 1.2 (which is a PSA/Stellantis engine) it's a Toyota engine as Daihatsu are part of the Toyota empire, Toyota electrics, Toyota mechanicals - so to say it's based on the Citroen C1 & Peugeot 107/108 is the wrong way round - the PSA/Stellantis cars are based on Toyota designs! The only real differences between the 3 are small design and trim areas.

I had a 2008 Mk1 from 2010 to 2020 when I traded up to a Mk2 - in those 12 years the only mechanical failure I've had was the old 180mm clutch on the Mk1, replacing that with the newer 190mm clutch solved the issue.

I can only report on my personal experience with the Aygo, owned since 22k miles.

Still on original clutch (bigger version) at 50k miles.

Replaced the brake discs and pads a few times along the way. Lack of use tends to corrode them. Not to the point of MOT failure (usually advisory), but I change them for peace of mind anyway.

Replaced both rear shocks at last MOT, due to leakage on both. Suspect they were part of a faulty batch at the factory.

Gearbox has a slight whine in 3rd gear, around the 30mph mark. Been doing this since I've owned it. Never got any worse.

Never had a problem with the infamous water leaks through the rear brake light, tailgate etc... The dealer I bought it off, had just sorted out the seals though!

Overall, it feels flimsier and tinnier than other cars I've owned, but it's what I expect for a budget car. First time a bit of road debris flicked up and hit the underside, I thought something had broken. Believe me, you hear all sorts through the thin bodywork.

Hasn't let me down yet and I think the majority of Aygo owners would agree that they are a reliable A to B car.

The Mk1 Aygo is the one where they (C1/107/Aygo) are literally all the same car (To the point you can buy the rev counter from a Citroen dealer and put it in an Aygo!) - All the important bits are Toyota, French input was mainly in the design which is why the Aygo has unusually nice looks for a Toyota of that era. (vs. say the Mk2 Yaris which looks like someone crashed into the front of it :laugh: )

Like most Toyotas the engine and gearbox are indestructible if given regular maintenance, although I absolutely hate hate the clutch on it as it bites far too high and gives almost no feedback. If going to one from a Mk1 Yaris D4D, which bites dead centre every time and has like 3x the torque, be prepared to stall it A LOT in the first few weeks of ownership.

I've not driven a Mk2 so don't know what the improvements are, but they are more Toyota than the previous ones - From what I hear, general interior and body build quality is better (Mk1's are famously prone to water leaks which I hear are mostly fixed in the Mk2). However I've had mixed reports on whether the clutch bite point has been fixed or not (Leaning to Not)

They're a riot to drive (The Mk1s at least) - Very gutless compared to the D4D, so need to get out a diesel mindset and get used to revving the proverbials off them, but they can be thrown round corners like very few cars are able to today!

• Haha 1

Agree with a lot of the above, we have both a Peugeot 107 (Mk1) owned for 14 years and and Peugeot 108 (MK2) owned for 5 years in the family and both have Toyota 1.0 engine and have been mechanically very good, only had replace water pump on our 107, but that was a known issue. One reasons we bought our 107 all those years ago was seeing the Toyota name over the mechanicals and not been disappointed. As you say the main issues with the early Mk1s were water pumps and clutches, but they were fixed 2009, unfortunately the water leaks plagued all Mk1s cos rear end design didn't help.

The build quality on the Mk2s is a big improvement, an improved rear tailgate design and better door seals mean water leaks that plagued Mk1s are very rare. The interior is also better design and quality compared to the Mk1, just remember it is cheaply made car, so don't expect premium, but I happy with that less to go wrong.  For me they have decent levels of safety features, very reliable, easy and cheap to work on, cheap road tax and good on fuel. 

Last but not least they are a fun drive, but as said go and drive one, sure you will, cos some people mention high clutch bite can be an issue, but never been an issue for me.

Yeah I think once you get used to it it's okay, but I know coming from a Mk1 Yaris D4D, which has a really nice clutch (Very short throw, biting point dead centre of pedal travel right until the clutch has worn out), to the Aygo's, which has a lot of dead space at the bottom and then suddenly everything happens right as you're letting go of the clutch, it will take a lot of getting used to as I went through the same process!

Not sure why they can't just nick the clutch mechanism out of a Mk1 Yaris and stick it in the Aygo TBH...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah I think once you get used to it it's okay, but I know coming from a Mk1 Yaris D4D, which has a really nice clutch (Very short throw, biting point dead centre of pedal travel right until the clutch has worn out), to the Aygo's, which has a lot of dead space at the bottom and then suddenly everything happens right as you're letting go of the clutch, it will take a lot of getting used to as I went through the same process!

Not sure why they can't just nick the clutch mechanism out of a Mk1 Yaris and stick it in the Aygo TBH...

Having only just purchased our Aygo a few months ago I cannot report on the longevity of the car but the clutch bite point is very different to the Honda CRV I traded in for it.  I have had no stalls but a few high rev moments when I first started driving it, my wife on the other hand, who also drove the CRV, took to it like a duck to water and has no issues with the clutch at all.

The engine and transmission for the Aygo are built by Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Poland.

I've never had an issue with the clutch in our Aygo.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

The Mk1 Aygo is the one where they (C1/107/Aygo) are literally all the same car (To the point you can buy the rev counter from a Citroen dealer and put it in an Aygo!) - All the important bits are Toyota, French input was mainly in the design which is why the Aygo has unusually nice looks for a Toyota of that era. (vs. say the Mk2 Yaris which looks like someone crashed into the front of it :laugh: )

Like most Toyotas the engine and gearbox are indestructible if given regular maintenance, although I absolutely hate hate the clutch on it as it bites far too high and gives almost no feedback. If going to one from a Mk1 Yaris D4D, which bites dead centre every time and has like 3x the torque, be prepared to stall it A LOT in the first few weeks of ownership.

I've not driven a Mk2 so don't know what the improvements are, but they are more Toyota than the previous ones - From what I hear, general interior and body build quality is better (Mk1's are famously prone to water leaks which I hear are mostly fixed in the Mk2). However I've had mixed reports on whether the clutch bite point has been fixed or not (Leaning to Not)

They're a riot to drive (The Mk1s at least) - Very gutless compared to the D4D, so need to get out a diesel mindset and get used to revving the proverbials off them, but they can be thrown round corners like very few cars are able to today!

Thanks Cyker, your comments remind me of my first small Fiesta petrol car a massive 44bhp regulor stalling episodes clutch judder, I look forward to engaging a similar experience 😆 lol  those Lake District camping trips oh joy 😂 lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xpcoindetective said:

Thanks Cyker, your comments remind me of my first small Fiesta petrol car a massive 44bhp regulor stalling episodes clutch judder, I look forward to engaging a similar experience 😆 lol  those Lake District camping trips oh joy 😂 lol

Least I didn't get wet though lol 😆

• Like 1

I learned to drive and passed my test in a Peugeot Diesel. I then got an ex. demo 15 plate Aygo, and it was like learning to drive again. Didn't take long to learn to set off without stalling, but hill starts took a bit longer! I traded it in for a facelift 68 plate and both cars have been amazing...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

It's a Toyota gearbox, regarding the engine apart from the 1.2 (which is a PSA/Stellantis engine) it's a Toyota engine as Daihatsu are part of the Toyota empire, Toyota electrics, Toyota mechanicals - so to say it's based on the Citroen C1 & Peugeot 107/108 is the wrong way round - the PSA/Stellantis cars are based on Toyota designs! The only real differences between the 3 are small design and trim areas.

I had a 2008 Mk1 from 2010 to 2020 when I traded up to a Mk2 - in those 12 years the only mechanical failure I've had was the old 180mm clutch on the Mk1, replacing that with the newer 190mm clutch solved the issue.

So what your saying is "you replaced the 180mm clutch for a 190mm clutch was this done on the Mk1?

Andy

The problem was with the later ones eating through their clutches really quickly, so they just used the bigger heavier duty one from the Yaris. The earlier ones didn't have that problem.

3 hours ago, TotallyToto said:

I learned to drive and passed my test in a Peugeot Diesel. I then got an ex. demo 15 plate Aygo, and it was like learning to drive again. Didn't take long to learn to set off without stalling, but hill starts took a bit longer! I traded it in for a facelift 68 plate and both cars have been amazing...

Haha yeah it's hard going from diesel to petrol - Have to learn clutch control all over again!! Luckily I learned to drive in a similarly gutless petrol engine so didn't take too long to re-learn, but still got caught out on occasion, usually when emerging from a junction on a slight incline!

1 hour ago, Xpcoindetective said:

So what your saying is "you replaced the 180mm clutch for a 190mm clutch was this done on the Mk1?

Yes, as others have said the 180mm clutch was fitted until 2009 production so as my Mk1 was a 2008 production it had that smaller clutch. I had the 190mm clutch fitted in 2011. No other mechanical repairs of any kind were needed until I traded it in in 2020 for a Mk2.

I did have to fix the infamous water leaks on my Mk1, but there has been no repeats on the Mk2.

• Like 1

I currently own a 2014 Mk2 Aygo, now on 50k with FTSH I'm the second owner from new, bought with 19k miles in March 2019. The clutch failed at 35k, I couldn't select any gears. New clutch fitted, cost me £250 to replace via an independent mechanic including parts. Also one of the O2 sensors failed a few months ago but this was fixed under Relax Warranty (would have been £275 to fix otherwise).

Apart from that it's been a good car in the 3 years of ownership. It is quite tinny in the doors for example, but I don't have any issues with that, it's a budget car after all. I'm replacing it with the MK4 Yaris Hybrid later this year.

Wow that's cheap! I usually got quoted £600-£1000 for a clutch change in my old Yarisesusises! I have heard cable clutches are a lot cheaper to change than hydraulic ones...

And you'll love the Mk4 - Might need to get used to it being a lot heavier than the Aygo (So maybe don't fling it round corners as fast as you might normally :laugh: ) but the vastly improved HSD gives it fantastic pull at all speeds and it is just so nice to drive! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Yeah I got it cheaper as he does the maintenance lot of my brothers vans, would probably a fair bit more if Toyota did the work.

I did test drive the hybrid Yaris a few weeks ago and was impressed by the performance. It'll be my 5th Yaris (had 2 Mk1 T-sports, a Mk1 1.3 SR and a MK2 1.33 TR in the past. This one is in a different class to those and my current Aygo. My partner is getting the new Aygo X in a few months so will still be driving one occasionally.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

However I've had mixed reports on whether the clutch bite point has been fixed or not (Leaning to Not)

You can be sure about the 'not'.  It's not fixed at all... I can't be fixed after delivery..
But the new X has a better automatic, being the CVT. That would be a good thing to consider, knowing that the Aygo2's clutch is still awful.

Overall, it's a reliable car with (imho) this one disadvantage.
Small trunk : you are used to that on the Aygo1, I guess.
Makes an awful noise imho but you must be used to that too.
  This car didn't get an upfront sound quietening treatment and the exhaust is a simple metal box, I presume.

Further more : advantages are that you can't find a cheaper car in drive and write off, Toyota guarantee is often good and longer than the 2 years standard in EU, so cheap on taxes and fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Yeah, as much as I dislike belt-driven CVTs I'd take it over the MMT any day of the week!

The Toyota ones have proven to be very reliable so far unlike e.g. Nissan and french ones - I don't think I've heard of a single one failing in this forum since they started using them, so at least that's one less thing to worry about!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have bought a new Aygo X [Cross], it is only a month old and already the clutch is slipping and there is a strong metallic burning smell especially in reverse gear. There is a need to rev this new engine hard to prevent it stalling [ another reported issue] but in doing that you are burning out the clutch. I have raised this issue with my dealership and the have refused to reply to my messages. So.... I would say beware

I agree with you on the flaws of the clutch system altough your X should already have a hydraulic clutch assembly which is better to operate...

Do you also feel the pedal needs to go up 98 percent before it starts 'grabbing' ?

I already think it's a shame on Toyota that they built it like they did on the Aygo. If it's still the same on the X, I would lose confidence in  the brand more.

What I would do in your place : give it to the garage .. Ask for a confirmation of the works you asked or problems you reported (under the form of a 0 bill) and go on from there. If it breaks ... it's a warranty thing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Streety said:

I have raised this issue with my dealership and the have refused to reply to my messages.

Why not actually speak to them !!

• Like 2

I had similar problems with my dealer when buying the Mk4 - Useless at replying to phone and e-mail, except when they needed me to do something. I had to physically go to the dealership almost every time I needed something. It sucks but that's the level of customer service I've come to expect from them...

They may have gotten better but the problem is I don't even bother trying now because of past experiences...

I find if you don't have the time to trapise down to the dealer every time or wait on hold for ages only to be told the person you need to speak to isn't there, sending e-mails and CC'ing in Toyota GB (cr@toyota.co.uk) and/or the franchise's head office often helps elict a response.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links