Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con clean

Our 2021 Yaris Design was in for it's first service today. I have a service plan.

They rang me during the day to say there were no problems. (I should hope not considering it's only done just over 3,000 miles.)  They said the air con system has a high level of bacteria, and would I like it cleansed ?  I asked how much, and was told.. A hundred and....... No thank you I replied before they could finish.

Anyone else experienced this ?

• Haha 1

Along a similar line. Although it shouldn't need changing for a long time yet, unless it's clogged with Sahara dust. Is the pollen filter the same as the cabin filter, and located behind the glove box on the 2021 Yaris ?

• Like 1

Omg, do not accept any offers like that at any cost, they will simply mess up your hvac system and cause real problems. On a brand new car they are talking about bacteria 🫢🫣🤔bs, my car is 11 years old and hasn’t got any. It is obvious that they simply are trying their luck hunting for people who has no clue about cars, maintenance and general use to screw them over and take their cash. Best for your car is to keep fan always on, use ac from time to time or permanently, change pollen filter more often( every 12 months or 10k miles) and do air conditioning regas every 3-4 years. That’s all. 👍

• Like 2

By all means do the cabin filter (its in the same place as the mk3), quite a few are antibacterial these days, unless the dealer has a bacterial analyser and taken multiple swabs what i doubt, it's BS trying to fearmonger using recent events

• Like 2

Thanks chaps.

There was no way I was going to accept their kind offer, and it's not something I would

expect a main dealer to come out with.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

They said the air con system has a high level of bacteria

Ask them for the numbers and claim you're a PhD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can get a disinfecting spray which you leave open for a while with the fan running and windows closed. Exact instructions on the can. I thinks it's about £5 per can

Alternatively you can use a handheld steamer and blast it through the vents changing the direction control as appropriate

11 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

You can get a disinfecting spray which you leave open for a while with the fan running and windows closed. Exact instructions on the can. I thinks it's about £5 per can

Alternatively you can use a handheld steamer and blast it through the vents changing the direction control as appropriate

Exactly this. buy an aerosol and follow the instructions as stated by Hasan(corradovr6). I treat mine every year, along with changing the filter.

Whether it is very effective, don't know, no nasty pongs and I haven't contracted any nasty diseases yet.

Change the pollen/cabin filter too - easy.

A hundred plus, they're 'avin a larf. I'd wager that's all they do and buy those aerosols in bulk and trade price. How did they test for bacterial contamination? I'm surprised they used bacteria rather than virus. I suspect that was just a scare tactic.

• Like 1

It's all a ploy to get you to spend cash. I've never had any issues with any car regarding A/C - other than a stone puncturing the condenser.

Re-gas when it's not preforming, change pollen filter every 2/3 years, that's all you need.

Ensure you run A/C for 10/15 mins every week or so.

17 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

expect a main dealer to come out with.

Mine offered it for £35 the other day.

I didn't think that was stupid expensive (it was in for a C service, so I was set for a big bill anyway) and as the car is 4 years old and I don't know if it had ever been done before I took it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

I'm surprised they used bacteria rather than virus. I suspect that was just a scare tactic.

Bacteria is correct. Viruses don't multiply in warm damp places, but bacteria love them.

Correct Mike  but suggesting a virus, of a certain name, could be more scary!:laugh:

Not an endorsement or recommendation, but I use this. Smells nice afterwards if nothing else.:ph34r:

ac cleaner.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

Mine offered it for £35 the other day.

A cool £30 profit, at least. Virtually nil labour to carry out.

6 minutes ago, mrpj1 said:

suggesting a virus, of a certain name, could be more scary!

Possibly, but it would be a lie.

Perhaps this dealer employee was being honest (though asking £100+ suggests the dealership bosses are milking things).

• Like 1