Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long term MPG and other data reset

davidif

Driving home from work on Friday and I noticed that my long term average mpg and both trip counters had reset whilst the car was parked almost as if the Battery had been temporarily disconnected, everything else was normal and this hasn't happened again.

Does an automatic reset occur after a certain time or mileage?

I think i remember such thing happening, it's an unofficial bug, that existed since 1st gen Auris.

Happened to me a few times also, mostly on colder days, when the car has been sitting for a while.

In my case, the Battery was old, and needed changing, so if it took a bit more time to start the car, it would reset.

Changed the Battery, and for the last 3 yrs or so, hasn't happened again.

I guess you still have the original Battery in your car?

I think likely to be from low voltage of 12v Battery. Anomalies like that usually happens prior to complete Battery failure. Best to measure and charge it with external charger to try save it and have a look for replacement to be ready, Toyota dealers or you can shop around. 👍

1 hour ago, furtula said:

I think i remember such thing happening, it's an unofficial bug, that existed since 1st gen Auris.

Happened to me a few times also, mostly on colder days, when the car has been sitting for a while.

In my case, the battery was old, and needed changing, so if it took a bit more time to start the car, it would reset.

Changed the battery, and for the last 3 yrs or so, hasn't happened again.

I guess you still have the original battery in your car?

Yes, original Battery although the car is one of the last Auris's on a 68 plate and gets a motorway drive to work every day.

37 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think likely to be from low voltage of 12v battery. Anomalies like that usually happens prior to complete battery failure. Best to measure and charge it with external charger to try save it and have a look for replacement to be ready, Toyota dealers or you can shop around. 👍

Bought 'Approved Used' from a dealer around 2 months ago so I'll monitor and request a new Battery from the dealer if needs be.

• Like 1

I've had it happen a couple of times, good Battery, no obvious reason but I put it down to maybe inadvertently pressing the reset button

I'm not saying my Battery was that bad. Being a gasoline car, starting it was not that hard, so the car does not crank that long, like a diesel might, and you don't really notice if the Battery is weak.

I think i was even measuring the voltage, and if the Battery before a start was over 12.5, it was fine, but under it, the trip meter and mpg,etc, would reset. Clock and other things would not change, so weird.

Let the car sit overnight, take the multi meter out, and measure the voltage.

With warm weather coming, you battery will be fine, but i would replace it before cold months start again.

I had this and it seemed to coincide with me using the hazard lights, but it was like Russian roulette, sometimes it didn't happen and other times it was like clockwork.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with @TonyHSD. It’s likely to need a new 12V Battery soon. That happened to me in my last car. It was a sign that the 12V Battery was on its last legs. When it happens, depending on how many electronic systems your car has, it can cause all sorts of weird electronic glitches such as resetting MPG / trip data, and wiping stored radio stations from memory. 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, Anthony Poli said:

I had this and it seemed to coincide with me using the hazard lights, but it was like Russian roulette, sometimes it didn't happen and other times it was like clockwork.

@Anthony Poli I vaguely remember an issue relating to a faulty hazard flasher switch on Auris models, which caused a 12V Battery drain overnight (after a brief push of the hazard flasher button). 🤔

I once had a car with a Battery almost dead, but was starting the car (if it's a sunny day and not much cranking is needed).

Was driving around the city, had hazards on to pick something up, and tried to start the car. Even though the Battery was charged a bit, while it was cranking and hazards turned on, it was a significant drain, you could hear the cranking slow down significantly.

Different car, we stopped at a fatal RTA, 2nd car on scene, and put hazards on.  Some time later, perhaps less than an hour, we had a flat Battery

Can you jump start from a 24v Fire Truck 😁?

I guess you could if you could just connect to half its Battery

53 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Different car, we stopped at a fatal RTA, 2nd car on scene, and put hazards on.  Some time later, perhaps less than an hour, we had a flat battery. 

Can you jump start from a 24v Fire Truck 😁?

I guess you could if you could just connect to half its battery. 

Yes you should be able to, unless fire trucks have specific fittings stopping you.  Trucks have two 12v batteries, and you need to connect your poz to the correct Battery, the one which is earthed rather than the one which the poz goes to the other battery's neg.  Some radios in trucks were wired this way, known as singling out the Battery.