Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


New Corolla tyre tread


Recommended Posts

Just took my car to dealer to swap my dash cam from part ex to new car which has done 400 miles. They did a health check which was fine but the tyre tread was on 6.3mm, I would have expected new car tread to be 8-9mm ? They are Falkken 17 inch tyres. I have checked myself and they are around 6mm, is this another cost cutting exercise. On my last Corolla these falkken tyres did not last as long as expected so maybe this was why

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I suppose tread depth when new depends on the type of tyre. 

I would suggest that you check them yourself and check the measurement is correct but as I've said before I don't really rate Falken tyres.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my experience most new tyres seem to come with ~7mm of tread from new :sad: 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Just took my car to dealer to swap my dash cam from part ex to new car which has done 400 miles. They did a health check which was fine but the tyre tread was on 6.3mm, I would have expected new car tread to be 8-9mm ? They are Falkken 17 inch tyres. I have checked myself and they are around 6mm, is this another cost cutting exercise. On my last Corolla these falkken tyres did not last as long as expected so maybe this was why

Chris, it was known some 10 years ago that manufacturers were raking money in by reducing to 7mm the tread on tyres. A bit like Mars Bars which were reducing the size but not the price.A trick that is often played on the Public, sadly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not about the money, it’s about noise levels that’s why many tyres are now coming with 7mm of depth instead of 8, which was standard for most summer tyres sizes. There are still some manufacturers that offer 8mm, it will depend on the tyres make, model and size. Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 on 205/55 16 does come with 8mm tread depth when new, I had measured and also a new discovery to me are the minimal tread depth markings, now they had lowered to just 2mm where use to be  3mm summer and 4mm winter tyres previously.   

8A0931D1-4F99-46B7-A829-5D9F0081A60C.jpeg

3171030E-1BBA-4718-82D2-CDAB20EE0BE3.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I also think it's to 'cheat' at tyre reviews - A tyre with 7mm of tread will generally have better dry cornering grip and stability than one with 8mm, and because tyre reviews are always done with new tyres it's win-win from their point of view.

This is one thing that Michelin don't get credit for as they tend to engineer their tyres to maintain performance down to very low depths, whereas I've found with the Contis, Goodyear/Dunlops, Coopers and even the Hankooks I'm on now, they start to get worse and worse in the wet and better and better in the dry as they age, which is why if I'm running down to 3mm in the beginning of winter I'll usually change the tyres (But if summer I'll keep them for longer :naughty: )

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I also think it's to 'cheat' at tyre reviews - A tyre with 7mm of tread will generally have better dry cornering grip and stability than one with 8mm, and because tyre reviews are always done with new tyres it's win-win from their point of view.

This is one thing that Michelin don't get credit for as they tend to engineer their tyres to maintain performance down to very low depths, whereas I've found with the Contis, Goodyear/Dunlops, Coopers and even the Hankooks I'm on now, they start to get worse and worse in the wet and better and better in the dry as they age, which is why if I'm running down to 3mm in the beginning of winter I'll usually change the tyres (But if summer I'll keep them for longer :naughty: )

 

These Goodyear’s are goodie indeed 👌 I had to stop extremely quick recently to prevent running over someone’s puppy 🐶 and that car has stopped like a jet fighter when lands on the fighter carrier ship 🚢., so very good tyres even partly worn 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phew good reactions!

It's usually cats around here - They will literally just wander into the road and stare at you until they feel they've made you wait long enough then saunter off again.

My neighbour had a hilarious encounter, where a cat was just cleaning itself on her driveway and wouldn't move until it was good and ready, so eventually she tried to edge towards it to encourage it to get out the way, but when she got too close it just jumped on the bonnet, walked up the windscreen and sat on the roof to continue cleaning itself :laugh: 

 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Phew good reactions!

It's usually cats around here - They will literally just wander into the road and stare at you until they feel they've made you wait long enough then saunter off again.

My neighbour had a hilarious encounter, where a cat was just cleaning itself on her driveway and wouldn't move until it was good and ready, so eventually she tried to edge towards it to encourage it to get out the way, but when she got too close it just jumped on the bonnet, walked up the windscreen and sat on the roof to continue cleaning itself :laugh: 

 

The cats round here sit in the middle of road flicking their claws in and out in a menacing way while staring you out.

I'm sure some of them are members of local gangs.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tyre treads have gradually been trimmed over the years we see some new cars with premium brand tyres with less than 7mm new. I was hoping my car won't have Falkens on when I get it Thursday, Budget tyres don't belong on these cars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Deano68 said:

Tyre treads have gradually been trimmed over the years we see some new cars with premium brand tyres with less than 7mm new. I was hoping my car won't have Falkens on when I get it Thursday, Budget tyres don't belong on these cars.

Most likely will have Falkens, don't get your hopes up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I have seen some new Toyotas comes with Goodyear too,  Yaris cross particularity 👍

Probably depends with the deal they have with each production for a particular time?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Trewithy said:

Most likely will have Falkens, don't get your hopes up.

Pretty certain 16inch wheels get Bridgestone and 17inch and up get Falken. I’m due to get my Corolla next month and not best pleased about the Falkens. Will see how I get on but may end up sticking Michelin E Primacy’s on

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What an interesting mix of tyres.  Let us know what tyres are on your car when you eventually get it Deano. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Most Toyota’s in Ireland come with Continental’s.

My 1.8 Corolla saloon that I picked up a couple of weeks ago has Falkens, as did the one I bought two years ago. I had the front tyres replaced on the 2020 last autumn, at the dealers and they were another brand, but can not remember which. Maybe the different model or place of build denotes which tyres are put on ??

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,
I am concerned about the state of my tires on Corolla TS 2.0. I drove less than 2000km (~1300miles).
Yesterday I noticed that parts of the tire treads are falling off. I didn't accelerate hard or drive on any bad surfaces (my hybrid score is 83 and 4.5 stars on Acceleration). I drive it gently since it is a new car. What do you guys think? Is this a faulty tire, or did I somehow destroy it?

IMG_20220427_134658.jpg

IMG_20220427_134701.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@marxon88 I've never seen tyres with that issue before - even with rather spirited driving.  Looks like a manufacturing fault.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd probably take it into your Toyota dealer for inspection - although usually it is the tyre manufacturer that warranties tyres on new cars rather than the vehicle manufacturer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Frosted said:

@marxon88 I've never seen tyres with that issue before - even with rather spirited driving.  Looks like a manufacturing fault.

I abused many tires when I was younger but never managed to damage the tire, not even a winter one.

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I'd probably take it into your Toyota dealer for inspection - although usually it is the tyre manufacturer that warranties tyres on new cars rather than the vehicle manufacturer.


I already contacted my Toyota dealer, but he refused to assist further. It only said that it could be either my fault or I could turn on the tire manufacturer.

I didn't inspect all four tires yet but will do it later today. It also can be heard that something is wrong with the tire on really flat (new) roads.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the op pictures I can see some major cut on tread that look like run over something sharp stone, glass , metal peace that has done it , however when you look around the other treads around there are many small chips along the treads which will point a bad quality rubber or manufacturer defect. Your local Toyota head office should step in and help. These tyres look crap to me , no wonder so many Corolla owners complain about them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bit weird that... the tyres looks mostly okay but not sure how little chunks would just come of like that. Mine has had far more abuse, including spinning the wheels and some understeering slide but none of my tyres have bits missing like that! (Just have slight melty bits on the edges :whistling1:)

It looks like the rubber has become embrittled somehow -Maybe age? Can you see if you can find the datestamp on the tyre sidewall? 

There should be the word DOT then a bunch of stuff then a 4-digit code.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Bit weird that... the tyres looks mostly okay but not sure how little chunks would just come of like that. Mine has had far more abuse, including spinning the wheels and some understeering slide but none of my tyres have bits missing like that! (Just have slight melty bits on the edges :whistling1:)

It looks like the rubber has become embrittled somehow -Maybe age? Can you see if you can find the datestamp on the tyre sidewall? 

There should be the word DOT then a bunch of stuff then a 4-digit code.

The car is new, two months old, MY22. I will update you with more details on tire DOT and the state of other tires later today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership