Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel clicking noise

venomx

Recently every now and again I get a clicking noise when I turn the steering wheel, usually to the left. Sounds as if the noise is definitely inside the car
Top mounts, springs and lower arm have recently been done.
Lower arm was done because the front bottom ball-join had "play"

Is this anything to be concerned about ?
08 Yaris MK2

I was actually down the mechanic today to have the front brakes cleaned and lubricated ( due to a loud rattle which has now stopped ) so I'd assume nothing is seriously wrong else they would have seen it

I remember reading about this in the forum - IIRC it's to do with the steering wheel splines but can't remember what the fix was. I think oyu could bodge it by adjusting the steering wheel reach/angle, but can't remember what the proper fix was. May be lubricating the splines or actually the steering shaft mount thing needs tightening?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I remember reading about this in the forum - IIRC it's to do with the steering wheel splines but can't remember what the fix was. I think oyu could bodge it by adjusting the steering wheel reach/angle, but can't remember what the proper fix was. May be lubricating the splines or actually the steering shaft mount thing needs tightening?

Doesn't sound like anything I'd know about, as long as it's not serious then I'll leave it

I'll monitor it, if it gets worse I'll get someone to look at it. I'd assume Toyota would want a serious amount of money to sort it out.

If you're feeling brave you can search through the forums but that's quite a deep dive!

I think there might be a TSB for it so flash22 or DevonAygo might be able to help... 

• Thanks 1

Definitely comes from this area which I have circled. 

Tends to only do it when at slow speeds when parking...

I've done some reading and seems a common fault in some Toyotas and Toyota say it's nothing serious ( according to posts on some forums )

20220412_073637.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, venomx said:

Definitely comes from this area which I have circled. 

Tends to only do it when at slow speeds when parking...

I've done some reading and seems a common fault in some Toyotas and Toyota say it's nothing serious ( according to posts on some forums )

20220412_073637.jpg

Nothing serious but sometimes annoying indeed. This can be also as a result of more than one thing or different problems. It can be from the electric motor gears, telescopic shaft splines dried out, or bearings. My one does it too, I didn’t replace under warranty and never bothered to fix it. Present in my car since almost new, to date didn’t get anything worse. Also happened on brand new Toyotas at around 15k miles, many has it. You can search YouTube videos for Prius , they are most popular and have the most videos about it and how to fix if you want to bother with it. At the end you may need to replace the whole steering column to fix it. I am not prepared to do that until fails mot. My car has two small issues since I have it: small oil leak, steering column clicks. Now over 150k miles done in less than a 4 years and both issues remain the same, which is just a proof that sometimes is better to leave things as they are and keep the car as original as possible than just trying to fix everything, if it doesn’t really needed. More fixes more chances of getting things done wrong. 👍 

• Thanks 1

Have you tried tilting the wheel up and down to see if it makes any difference?

The thing to unlock it is on the lower-left side of the steering column IIRC.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Have you tried tilting the wheel up and down to see if it makes any difference?

The thing to unlock it is on the lower-left side of the steering column IIRC.

Yeah I have tried that, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks @TonyHSD I have looked around and it's a very expensive fix for a small issue.

• Like 1

If its the splines, you can either remove the joint, clean and relube or more easily use a small syringe and thin needle and squirt some oil in between the grooves of the splines

1 hour ago, corradovr6 said:

If its the splines, you can either remove the joint, clean and relube or more easily use a small syringe and thin needle and squirt some oil in between the grooves of the splines

By splines do you mean the circular bit behind the wheel that moves in circles ? If so I'd be reluctant to use anything thin/watery that could run or damage electrics.

I wouldn't mind getting some thick grease on the end of a small screw-driver and dabbing it around the area or the " spline " if that's what you mean 

20220412_073637.jpg

20220412_154851.jpg

Splines are a way of connecting two shafts together, like driveshafts. Basically one shaft has loads of teeth on the outside and the other shaft has the opposing teeth on the inside so they can be joined together and turn each other.

I'm not sure if yours even has splines as I just realized the wheel in the Mk1 only tilts; It's not telescopic like in the Mk2 onwards.

That makes it more likely it's a bracket or a universal joint, but if you can live with it it's probably not worth the hassle of investigating. You can try and see if you can get at the bracket on the engine-side that holds the steering shaft, and see if it needs tightening up, but changing the universal joint is a bit more involved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Splines are a way of connecting two shafts together, like driveshafts. Basically one shaft has loads of teeth on the outside and the other shaft has the opposing teeth on the inside so they can be joined together and turn each other.

I'm not sure if yours even has splines as I just realized the wheel in the Mk1 only tilts; It's not telescopic like in the Mk2 onwards.

That makes it more likely it's a bracket or a universal joint, but if you can live with it it's probably not worth the hassle of investigating. You can try and see if you can get at the bracket on the engine-side that holds the steering shaft, and see if it needs tightening up, but changing the universal joint is a bit more involved.

Fair enough. Yeah mine is the MK2.

I'll leave it for now then, if it gets worse I'll have a mechanic look.

Only tends to do it at low speeds in reverse, generally when driving around it is silent

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be doing It a bit more regularly, but usually at low speeds when turning left... I'm not knowledgeable with steering columns etc.

Should I just leave it or if it gets worse then see the mechanic? 

Don't want to spend much more on the car to be honest, if it's just a job of lubricating the splines then I could take it down there 

Had the car since 65000 miles and done about 7000 so far. The noise only started a few weeks back

On 4/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, corradovr6 said:

Is that this here?

If you could circle exactly where that would be great.

It does sound higher up thought and close to the steering wheel

20220423_193813.jpg

Seems worse if I lower the steering wheel

Yeah that's the spline shaft - See all the rows of long teeth.

Does it feel secure if you wiggle it?

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah that's the spline shaft - See all the rows of long teeth.

Does it feel secure if you wiggle it?

Yes. No movement at all. Should I try tightening the two silver bolts? 

I have spray grease, silicone spray and some thick grease. Any of those suitable to try lubricating? 

4 hours ago, venomx said:

Yes. No movement at all. Should I try tightening the two silver bolts? 

I have spray grease, silicone spray and some thick grease. Any of those suitable to try lubricating? 

Yes, you can do. You also have similar splines shaft up the column for rake adjustment and it’s the most common place from where Toyota steering clicks., the lube dries out, but it’s difficult to reach. 

There are 2 Universal joints, the top one is the most common one to fail, do you have an adjustable steering column ?

i would loosen each UJ clamp in turn.  Just a turn or so to relax the pressure on the spindle.  Drop some oil onto the spindle splines and then tighten up.  I've not removed the steering UJ on the yaris but you may be able to separate it completely.  If so, mark the fitted position on each part with tippex or something similar, remove, clean and then apply some grease to the joint. Refit, lining the two pieces in the old position. Then tighten up. 

Metal to metal contact often causes noises and creaks.

Alternatively, you can use a light oil on the splines, ensuring its gone through all of them, and then apply some heavier oil which will get drawn in by gravity and capillary action.  Means you don't have to separate the joint.

It's a pressed in cross joint if its worn, its worn - replace the intermediate shaft or change the crosses if you have access to a press

If it feels nice and secure I think you're okay - If it wiggled then it might have been the support bracket getting a bit loose, but if it all feels secure it's most likely just the lubrication drying out.

I reckon just getting some lubricant in/on all the joints and splines should help.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I think the only part i can get to is the one I posted above ( right behind the pedals l

Sounds as if the noise comes from directly behind the steering wheel, not lower down

Not willing to take anything apart though as I'm not experienced in steering columns 

Pop the column/cowl off and lower panel, then it's right in front of you

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

Pop the column/cowl off and lower panel, then it's right in front of you

I know what you mean by lower panel, no problem.

By cowl do you mean this ?

Cowl-2.jpg

Also. Seem to have developed a clicking noise when using the clutch.

Is it OK to lubricate this part here which I have circled in red ?

Is this called the "clutch release fork pivot bolt"

698079944_newnew.thumb.jpg.71e324c14d96211398df688e010fdae3.jpg

There is some movement left/right here where I have circled in white...

clutcvh.thumb.jpg.967e7560b2ec6f77fc2992093d32b473.jpg

Not sure if it's possible to tighten it.

58 minutes ago, venomx said:

I know what you mean by lower panel, no problem.

By cowl do you mean this ?

Cowl-2.jpg

Also. Seem to have developed a clicking noise when using the clutch.

Is it OK to lubricate this part here which I have circled in red ?

Is this called the "clutch release fork pivot bolt"

698079944_newnew.thumb.jpg.71e324c14d96211398df688e010fdae3.jpg

There is some movement left/right here where I have circled in white...

clutcvh.thumb.jpg.967e7560b2ec6f77fc2992093d32b473.jpg

Not sure if it's possible to tighten it.

Second picture you have circled the brake cylinder and  you can spray only silicone lubricant as there are plastics and rubber, the third picture the metal pin you can spray either silicone wd-40 or classic wd-40 as it’s metal. Steering wheel check all joints and if all tightened up just spray some lubricant onto the splines.

313AD1AB-A341-40F7-AE34-00424D2F0802.jpeg

• Thanks 1