Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hardwired Dash cam help

Jamiec95

Hi, I’m looking to install my dash cam and hardwiring it. Any ideas on what fuses are needed?

need to know what fuse is a constant live and which one is a ignition live for the install if anyone can help?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Jamiec95 said:

need to know what fuse is a constant live and which one is a ignition live for the install if anyone can help?

The owners manual will give you some insight as to which fuse does what. However it doesn't say which is ignition live or constant live.

I'd always recommend using Ignition live, just incase you forget to turn the Dashcam off when exiting the car

10 minutes ago, venomx said:

The owners manual will give you some insight as to which fuse does what. However it doesn't say which is ignition live or constant live.

I'd always recommend using Ignition live, just incase you forget to turn the dashcam off when exiting the car

Thanks for the reply, get the car tomorrow so will have a look at the fuses. Need to have a constant live and a ignition live so I can use the parking feature on the dash cam just unsure on which ones are which. Although I could just see what works when the ignition isn’t turned on to find out.

Hi, there are a few topics about this on the forum.
Have a look here, this is for RAV4, but most Toyota will have the same or similar internal fuse board

13 minutes ago, Jamiec95 said:

Thanks for the reply, get the car tomorrow so will have a look at the fuses. Need to have a constant live and a ignition live so I can use the parking feature on the dash cam just unsure on which ones are which. Although I could just see what works when the ignition isn’t turned on to find out.

Is it a Nextbase ?

From what I can remember, parking mode isn't a great idea as it can draw too much power whilst the car is off and you run the risk of flattening the Battery.

44 minutes ago, venomx said:

Is it a nextbase ?

From what I can remember, parking mode isn't a great idea as it can draw too much power whilst the car is off and you run the risk of flattening the battery.

It’s a road angel halo pro front and rear one. The main reason I went for this one was the reviews on hardwiring was much better than the Nextbase dash cam.

Hi I have 3 Nextbase cams front and rear in the Evoque and I transferred the wife's fron her Scirocco all I did get different were the micro piggy back fuse holder and a box of assorted micro fuses off Amazon.

I wired it to the cigarette lighter fuse as I couldn't find the USB fuse.

Works fine comes on and off with the ignition so no issues at all once you fit the piggy back you won't be able to get the fuse box cover back on but it fits nicely in the owners manual wallet 🙃🙃

Hi I just hardwired a Nextbase front & rear dash cam into my new Yaris Design a couple of days ago. I needed a low profile mini fuse and adapter (not just mini). The Nextbase hardwire kit didn't include that, but they sent one by next-day post for free on request. I installed it in the USB 1 fuse position (live only with ignition on) in the fuse box under the glove box.

Some hints if you're planning to conceal all wiring - pick a warm day so the clips on the trim you'll need to remove are more pliant (easier to unclip and less likely to snap) and your fingers won't get so sore. Have a pair of fine-nose pliers or a forked pry tool at hand to remove clips that slip out of their housing instead of unclipping. Be careful with the headliner, it's quite fragile - if you've got big fingers use a pry tool to slip the cable underneath. Don't run cables over or in front of airbags, use the existing wiring loom as a guide - you can often use the wiring loom clips to keep the wires in place. I ran the rear camera cable along under the door sill trims to keep away from the upper airbags - it slipped under the trim below the central pillar seatbelt anchor point easily enough. 

• Like 2