Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Car Tax Bands ?

152bobby

Just trying to get my head round the cost of car tax.  I've noticed that my daughters 2014 Aygo (Gen 2) is £0, a 2016 (Gen 2) is £0 but if I look at a 2021 Aygo (Gen 2), the tax is £165... why ?

Also, the new Aygo X that I'm hoping to buy is £180.  I guess because this is a heavier car and omits more pollution and is new ? Not that I'm complaining, £180 will do me just fine after currently paying £330 for my Rav4.

• Like 1

You need to read this.

Vehicle Tax Rates after 1 April 2017

From 1 April 2017 after the first year (when there is a supplement, hence the £180 for the first yaer of the Aygo X) ALL non-zero emission vehicles have the same basic Road Tax, but those over £40,000 pay a supplement for the next 5 years.

Prior to that Road Tax was emissions related, hence the £0 for 2014 & 2016 but £165 for 2021.

• Like 1

Due entirely to the change in road tax system from 1st April 2017.

Prior to April 2017 road tax was based on emissions.

From the 1st April 2017, only first year is emissions based, and the second and subsequent years are a flat rate. Also if the car's list price including options at the time of first registration, is over £40K, an extra payment is required for five years from the second year.

See https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

• Like 1

Thanks for that (I should have found that myself !!)  According to that and the Aygo X is 113g/km, so ongoing annual tax will be £180 (111 to 130g/km bracket).

• Like 1

No, just the first year, then it's £165/yr.

This is why my mate's subaru is now (almost) the same to tax as my Yaris Hybrid :wacko: :laugh: 

• Like 1

Even better 😅

• Like 1

Agree with what other have said, the bug tax rates are all over the place, we have a Peugeot 107 (2008) which is £20, but also like you a gen 2 Peugeot 108, which is £0.

Ironically looking at the new Aygo X the other day, noticed it's emissions have crept up from 95g/km of our 108 to about 109g/km, same as our 107 from 2008, if only the road tax was the same, but understand something had to change as the government must been losing lots of cash as manufacturers got too good at reducing emissions.

• Like 2

Just bugs me how the government steer us in a direction to help save the planet, offer short term incentives and then eventually stiff us.  It was the same with, insulation, double glazing, solar panels, gas boilers, diesels and electric cars !!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Just bugs me how the government steer us in a direction to help save the planet, offer short term incentives and then eventually stiff us.

+1

It should have ben obvious that emissions related Road Tax would encourage most people to buy low emissions cars, which would greatly reduce the income from Road Tax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puglet said:

Ironically looking at the new Aygo X the other day, noticed it's emissions have crept up from 95g/km of our 108 to about 109g/km

Probably down to the 80kg weight increase (2018 Aygo 860kg - 2022 Aygo X 940kg).

• Like 3

Yep, just had double check on emissions for new Aygo X and fair play to Toyota, the manuals are lower emissions than the auto, so bit lower tax band, bit like our new 107 back in the day just squeaked into lower tax band. Ok, not mega amounts but every little helps.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, 152bobby said:

Thanks for that (I should have found that myself !!)  According to that and the Aygo X is 113g/km, so ongoing annual tax will be £180 (111 to 130g/km bracket).

thank you for explaining.

Thank you for explaining, I was bewildered why road tax for my 2020 Aygo (which has lower emissions) is £180 where as my previous car a 2013 Peugeot 208 was continually tax rated zero

• Like 2

New cars as of 2017 and 2023 have their own tax brackets, they got rid of the zero rate

My 2016 Yaris hybrid is still zero tax, but it all changes it 2025 again

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1146222/v149-rates-of-vehicle-tax-for-cars-motorcycles-light-goods-vehicles-and-private-light-goods-vehicles.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links