Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Side Step mk5 - what’s the point ?

Packard

So on my hunt for a mk5 excel, I note some have the side steps fitted.  So excuse my ignorance apart from the aesthetic value which I’m sure will be a marmite (I like them),

Does anyone (even kids) use them to gain entry?

How much ground clearance does it take away if any?

Any pros or cons ?

5 minutes ago, Packard said:

So on my hunt for a mk5 excel, I note some have the side steps fitted.  So excuse my ignorance apart from the aesthetic value which I’m sure will be a marmite (I like them),

Does anyone (even kids) use them to gain entry?

How much ground clearance does it take away if any?

Any pros or cons ?

Pros: they stop other car doors damaging yours, not completely but possibly the best defense you can get, they may be helpful to reach over when cleaning the roof.

Cons: they are next to useless for aiding car entry, in fact you can find them awkward depending on your size they can catch the back of your legs when you get in or out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, I suppose if I end up with one with a pair fitted they could always be removed (?) and I hope leaving them vehicle undamaged and sell them on

6 minutes ago, Packard said:

Thank you, I suppose if I end up with one with a pair fitted they could always be removed (?) and I hope leaving them vehicle undamaged and sell them on

If they are the Toyota ones, I would say they could be removed reasonably easily. Try Googling fitting side steps to a Rav4 and add the year of the one you are looking at buying.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Pros: they stop other car doors damaging yours, not completely but possibly the best defense you can get, they may be helpful to reach over when cleaning the roof.

Cons: they are next to useless for aiding car entry, in fact you can find them awkward depending on your size they can catch the back of your legs when you get in or out

Side steps don't help at all when cleaning the roof - they are set way too close to the car!

They do make excellent extended mud-flaps and keep a lot of muck from the sides. But they do quite a good job of transferring said muck to one's trouser legs when getting in and out.

My 4.3 came with side steps; I didn't bother with side steps on my 4.4 or 4.5 ... 😉

• Like 2

Thanks you have reassured me, and my thoughts of getting out of my mates Disco which I always got more mud on me that way.