Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust

Shell1285

Hi guys, I've just purchased a 2008 toyota yaris 1.3 vvt-i tr 5dr and stupidly I did the mot checks after the purchase,  not before.  Please can you advise whether the below advisories are bad or whether I should still go ahead with the purchase (I have paid £70 deposit so far and due to pay the rest on delivery). Thank you! 

Date tested11 March 2022

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage59,775 miles

MOT test number3275 ‪1685 4395‬

Test location

View test location

Expiry date25 March 2023

Date tested24 March 2021

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage58,337 miles

MOT test number1724 ‪4651 7681‬

Test location

View test location

Expiry date25 March 2022

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt Across all rear seats. ()
  • Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material All pipes covered in grease. (1.1.11 (c))

What are advisories?

Date tested20 March 2020

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage57,672 miles

MOT test number4634 ‪4932 3507‬

Test location

View test location

Expiry date25 March 2021

• Nearside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Offside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Front to Rear (into rear flexi pipe) (1.1.11 (c))
  • Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear Bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
  • Heavy rusting to front and rear suspension components
  • Heavy rusting to underbody surfaces

What are advisories?

Date tested25 March 2019

PASS

View test certificate

Mileage56,039 miles

MOT test number2498 ‪9124 3536‬

Test location

View test location

Expiry date25 March 2020

• Offside Rear Parking brake low effort.
  • Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Central Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt Buckle trapped under ISOFIX base ()
  •  
  •  

Hm, last year inspection full of advisories about rust, this year nothing. This is very fishy. If it’s me I will take the car to an independent garage, put in on ramps and check carefully what’s the condition underneath and also ask mechanics for opinion along with my thoughts and then will make a decision whether to complete the purchase. I rather loose £70 deposit than buy car that it will have only a year life. Rust is the worst enemy to any vehicle, anything else can be salvaged easier but rust once started properly there is only one way to the scrap yard. 

• Like 1

The MOT history, from the bottom of your post is 2019, there is a number is issues that the owner was advised about and might give rise to problems in future.  These are not mentioned in 2020 though there is mention of light corrosion. 

In 2021 there is comment about the brake pipes that were previously reported with corrosion.  The grease is probably from action taken to fix the corrosion. 

In 2022 it had a straight pass. This history suggests that advisories were addressed between tests.  If in doubt ask for a second opinion. 

The other thing, look as the mileage covered each year.  This suggests low use with 5,600 miles per year to 2019.  From 2019 it has done less than 4,000 miles of very low usage. 

• Like 1

Tony, agree clean bill of health in 2022 but I read it as work has been done after each advisory. 

• Like 2

I would certainly agree that you need to have a look underneath and check the extent of the rust.

The brake pipes are not a major issue, but heavy corrosion on the chassis/bodywork underneath is, and I would avoid if it exists.

We also don't know how much you are paying for it, maybe not a lot and you just want a short term runaround?

Iain

• Like 1

It needs a good inspection, was the MOT done at the same place ? Also be aware it's only done circa 1000-1500 miles a year so may need a good service and new tires as they may be old (date stamp on the side wall) or cheap no name Chinese rubbish

if you can lift the back seat and boot carpet - kids can wreck cars, i never did get the glitter out of one of my previous cars no matter how hard it was cleaned

i would say it's going to cost you a few hundred to get it back up to snuff, if it was owned by a single mother 8/10 times things would have been neglected

there is a chance Stevie Wonder has done the MOT's the last few years

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys. It's due to be delivered in a few minutes and I literally have no clue what I'm looking for on inspection but I will inspect it...I can see that the exhaust is rusty from the outside...don't know if that means anything at all. 

You should be aware the MOT advisory system reporting changed in 2019 iirc. Before then, all were reported. After then ,only major ones.

All the rust issues reported on your car are minor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links