Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


I Have Jumped Ship


Recommended Posts

That's right, I have "jumped ship" and sold both my beloved Prius Excel and the wife's Auris hybrid.                                               

About 3 weeks ago I decided to take advantage of the high second hand value of cars and decided I would sell the Prius Excel, the car I have owned for over 3 years and my "forever" car.......... well we can all change our minds!  The 2nd hand car value being high is bound to flop one day, so I moved.                                  

And as I was looking to the internet "we buy any..." type companies to make offers, and I was searching for a replacement, the wife joined in saying she would like to change too.

It has been 3 weeks of hectic, sometimes frustrating and definitely exhausting work. Today it ended when we picked up the wife's replacement car, having got my replacement a week last Sunday.  So its all over and now I can settle down again. 

So, its the first time in 10 years we not had a Toyota on the drive. (two Yaris 1.4 diesels, Auris hybrid, Gen 3 Prius, Gen 4 Prius).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Car prices have gone through the roof. I have to ask, since you've had so many Toyotas, why not another one?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alan333 said:

What have you changed to?

 

3 hours ago, Big_D said:

Car prices have gone through the roof. I have to ask, since you've had so many Toyotas, why not another one?

In reality, I am comfortable driving smaller cars and bigger ones, with lots of toys or few, as long as they are practical and reliable.            
I started out looking at used Aygo’s, even contacting someone on the forum who himself changed down to an Aygo. The wife had a new C1 back in 2006 for the next 6 or 7 years. I found it fun to drive, so the thought of an Aygo X-Pression was buzzing in my head. We went to see one at an independent garage locally, got there and it had been sold the day before. So we looked at his stock and there stood a 2014 plate VW UP, took it for a drive, couldn’t believe how nippy it was for 60bhp, liked the drive, the comport, the practicality of a small car that didn’t feel like a small car, the economy, the build seemed better than an Aygo. Alas we couldn’t strike a deal even without part ex.               
Eventually I found a 15 plate Skoda CityGo SE Elegance 75bhp down in Bridgend, a long way from Cheshire. A week last Sunday, wife and I went down by train, bought it, drove straight up to Chester through centre of Wales…. Beautiful countryside both from the train and drive home.             Still had the Prius at that point but was “doing business” with some online buyers ie Motorway, Better Car Buyer, HeyCar (no way for WBAC). Did a telephone deal with Better Car Buyer, was told a driver would collect, he is not going to haggle, he is collecting the car, he came (from an independent collection company), very professional looking, he checked the car was as described (not even a test drive), he rang Better Car Buyer, they took my bank details, money in my bank within 15 minutes. That was me sorted. The driver drove it away in the direction of Hull.          
Whilest that was going on, I was contacting the same firms for a deal on the wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid. Motorway did a strong bid but then cooled off. A company called Car Dough (or something similar) called me, we “agreed” a figure over the phone, they sent two “unprofessional” looking guys with a flatbed car carrier truck. They went round the car, took it round the block (literally 200 yards), come back, called me out and promptly told me what was wrong with the body (I was tempted to get my magnifying glass out), and told me there manager was offering £750 less then agreed. I promptly said thank you very much but you are going back empty and they did!         
Then out of the blue, Motorway sent an email, they had my car details distributed with dealers and the “auction” would end at 3pm (this was last Thursday). At 3:15 I got an email of the highest offer, and the dealer should be in touch within 2 days. Well I text him Saturday morning and he wrong and sounded rough. Not covid he said, but a bug, he really did sound rough. Anyway, he came round with his brother Tuesday just gone, we got on really well, chatting about our common interest, haggled a bit (£200 off, that was ok), and off he went.                  
Meanwhile, the wife wanted an Aygo (she like that C1 as I did), but when we drove home in the CityGo she wanted one too (or UP or Mii). Last Thursday we went to see one in Wales (again) but this time on Anglesey. It as a CityGo, a 60bhp version, we put a deposit on, they were going to spray the rear bumper (couple deep marks) and we went back this morning to pick it up.            
So we both happy with what we driving now. It will reduce our car insurance quite a lot, we won’t have 2 cars at zero road tax, my car is zero (stop/start) and the wife’s is £20 (no stop start). Today I did a return journey of 170 miles, was putting into practice the hyper mile techniques I learnt in the Prius and got 69.4mpg, not as much as the Prius would have done (probably 75mpg) but I well happy with 69.4. Plus, I spent on the 2 Skoda CityGo’s just over half of what I got for the 2 Toyotas, so money in the bank! And I now have found a good independent VW garage that will look after them, and he is a motorcyclist like I was, so had lots to talk about. 
It’s a Win Win situation (but I will miss the Gen4 Prius…..an amazing car).

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

 

In reality, I am comfortable driving smaller cars and bigger ones, with lots of toys or few, as long as they are practical and reliable.            
I started out looking at used Aygo’s, even contacting someone on the forum who himself changed down to an Aygo. The wife had a new C1 back in 2006 for the next 6 or 7 years. I found it fun to drive, so the thought of an Aygo X-Pression was buzzing in my head. We went to see one at an independent garage locally, got there and it had been sold the day before. So we looked at his stock and there stood a 2014 plate VW UP, took it for a drive, couldn’t believe how nippy it was for 60bhp, liked the drive, the comport, the practicality of a small car that didn’t feel like a small car, the economy, the build seemed better than an Aygo. Alas we couldn’t strike a deal even without part ex.               
Eventually I found a 15 plate Skoda CityGo SE Elegance 75bhp down in Bridgend, a long way from Cheshire. A week last Sunday, wife and I went down by train, bought it, drove straight up to Chester through centre of Wales…. Beautiful countryside both from the train and drive home.             Still had the Prius at that point but was “doing business” with some online buyers ie Motorway, Better Car Buyer, HeyCar (no way for WBAC). Did a telephone deal with Better Car Buyer, was told a driver would collect, he is not going to haggle, he is collecting the car, he came (from an independent collection company), very professional looking, he checked the car was as described (not even a test drive), he rang Better Car Buyer, they took my bank details, money in my bank within 15 minutes. That was me sorted. The driver drove it away in the direction of Hull.          
Whilest that was going on, I was contacting the same firms for a deal on the wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid. Motorway did a strong bid but then cooled off. A company called Car Dough (or something similar) called me, we “agreed” a figure over the phone, they sent two “unprofessional” looking guys with a flatbed car carrier truck. They went round the car, took it round the block (literally 200 yards), come back, called me out and promptly told me what was wrong with the body (I was tempted to get my magnifying glass out), and told me there manager was offering £750 less then agreed. I promptly said thank you very much but you are going back empty and they did!         
Then out of the blue, Motorway sent an email, they had my car details distributed with dealers and the “auction” would end at 3pm (this was last Thursday). At 3:15 I got an email of the highest offer, and the dealer should be in touch within 2 days. Well I text him Saturday morning and he wrong and sounded rough. Not covid he said, but a bug, he really did sound rough. Anyway, he came round with his brother Tuesday just gone, we got on really well, chatting about our common interest, haggled a bit (£200 off, that was ok), and off he went.                  
Meanwhile, the wife wanted an Aygo (she like that C1 as I did), but when we drove home in the CityGo she wanted one too (or UP or Mii). Last Thursday we went to see one in Wales (again) but this time on Anglesey. It as a CityGo, a 60bhp version, we put a deposit on, they were going to spray the rear bumper (couple deep marks) and we went back this morning to pick it up.            
So we both happy with what we driving now. It will reduce our car insurance quite a lot, we won’t have 2 cars at zero road tax, my car is zero (stop/start) and the wife’s is £20 (no stop start). Today I did a return journey of 170 miles, was putting into practice the hyper mile techniques I learnt in the Prius and got 69.4mpg, not as much as the Prius would have done (probably 75mpg) but I well happy with 69.4. Plus, I spent on the 2 Skoda CityGo’s just over half of what I got for the 2 Toyotas, so money in the bank! And I now have found a good independent VW garage that will look after them, and he is a motorcyclist like I was, so had lots to talk about. 
It’s a Win Win situation (but I will miss the Gen4 Prius…..an amazing car).

Excellent to hear that. Do those small VAG cars also require periodic cambelt changes? Golf always needed that along with water pump. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They do have a cam belt, so needs changing. Seems to be some dispute as to when. It appears the change period on the uk is more frequent then for other countries. Why? I haven’t figured that out yet but I will.              
There is a dedicated forum for VW UP cars. They allow Skoda CityGo and Seat Mii owners to join. It is a lot “quieter” forum then TOC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Up/CitiGo are quite nice cars - Must admit I prefer them to the Aygos just for the better gearbox and clutch!

If you're not driving so much i think they'll suit you better as the hybrids are like diesels - They want to be driven regularly and don't like being left to sit around, whereas a petrol engine doesn't really care, esp. in simpler cars that don't have banks of computers wasting energy when the car is off!

Don't you dare say goodbye tho'! I expect you to hang around and continue to write lengthy dissertations on hybrids! :laugh: 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

The Up/CitiGo are quite nice cars - Must admit I prefer them to the Aygos just for the better gearbox and clutch!

If you're not driving so much i think they'll suit you better as the hybrids are like diesels - They want to be driven regularly and don't like being left to sit around, whereas a petrol engine doesn't really care, esp. in simpler cars that don't have banks of computers wasting energy when the car is off!

Don't you dare say goodbye tho'! I expect you to hang around and continue to write lengthy dissertations on hybrids! :laugh: 

 

I’m not sure about this. I used to frequent the Briskoda forum some years ago and I seem to recall a long running thread about a clutch pedal ‘click ’ that was seemingly never fully resolved. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davidif said:

I’m not sure about this. I used to frequent the Briskoda forum some years ago and I seem to recall a long running thread about a clutch pedal ‘click ’ that was seemingly never fully resolved. 

Yep, I got a colicky clutch pedal.  😁

 

19 minutes ago, Hibird said:

Are you anticipating a reduction in the use of your trusty CTEK battery charger ?

Yes, but mine is a stop/go system and I know from the past they need a healthy Battery for them to work at all situations. There again, at the push at a button I can disable stop/start until the next fresh start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Were they the ones with dealers set up next to scrap yards ?

To be fair it wasnt that bad a car for a student in the esrly 90s.   Based on a Fiat of some kind.  

At the end of its life though it couldn't get above 50mph.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Catlover said:

 

In reality, I am comfortable driving smaller cars and bigger ones, with lots of toys or few, as long as they are practical and reliable.            
I started out looking at used Aygo’s, even contacting someone on the forum who himself changed down to an Aygo. The wife had a new C1 back in 2006 for the next 6 or 7 years. I found it fun to drive, so the thought of an Aygo X-Pression was buzzing in my head. We went to see one at an independent garage locally, got there and it had been sold the day before. So we looked at his stock and there stood a 2014 plate VW UP, took it for a drive, couldn’t believe how nippy it was for 60bhp, liked the drive, the comport, the practicality of a small car that didn’t feel like a small car, the economy, the build seemed better than an Aygo. Alas we couldn’t strike a deal even without part ex.               
Eventually I found a 15 plate Skoda CityGo SE Elegance 75bhp down in Bridgend, a long way from Cheshire. A week last Sunday, wife and I went down by train, bought it, drove straight up to Chester through centre of Wales…. Beautiful countryside both from the train and drive home.             Still had the Prius at that point but was “doing business” with some online buyers ie Motorway, Better Car Buyer, HeyCar (no way for WBAC). Did a telephone deal with Better Car Buyer, was told a driver would collect, he is not going to haggle, he is collecting the car, he came (from an independent collection company), very professional looking, he checked the car was as described (not even a test drive), he rang Better Car Buyer, they took my bank details, money in my bank within 15 minutes. That was me sorted. The driver drove it away in the direction of Hull.          
Whilest that was going on, I was contacting the same firms for a deal on the wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid. Motorway did a strong bid but then cooled off. A company called Car Dough (or something similar) called me, we “agreed” a figure over the phone, they sent two “unprofessional” looking guys with a flatbed car carrier truck. They went round the car, took it round the block (literally 200 yards), come back, called me out and promptly told me what was wrong with the body (I was tempted to get my magnifying glass out), and told me there manager was offering £750 less then agreed. I promptly said thank you very much but you are going back empty and they did!         
Then out of the blue, Motorway sent an email, they had my car details distributed with dealers and the “auction” would end at 3pm (this was last Thursday). At 3:15 I got an email of the highest offer, and the dealer should be in touch within 2 days. Well I text him Saturday morning and he wrong and sounded rough. Not covid he said, but a bug, he really did sound rough. Anyway, he came round with his brother Tuesday just gone, we got on really well, chatting about our common interest, haggled a bit (£200 off, that was ok), and off he went.                  
Meanwhile, the wife wanted an Aygo (she like that C1 as I did), but when we drove home in the CityGo she wanted one too (or UP or Mii). Last Thursday we went to see one in Wales (again) but this time on Anglesey. It as a CityGo, a 60bhp version, we put a deposit on, they were going to spray the rear bumper (couple deep marks) and we went back this morning to pick it up.            
So we both happy with what we driving now. It will reduce our car insurance quite a lot, we won’t have 2 cars at zero road tax, my car is zero (stop/start) and the wife’s is £20 (no stop start). Today I did a return journey of 170 miles, was putting into practice the hyper mile techniques I learnt in the Prius and got 69.4mpg, not as much as the Prius would have done (probably 75mpg) but I well happy with 69.4. Plus, I spent on the 2 Skoda CityGo’s just over half of what I got for the 2 Toyotas, so money in the bank! And I now have found a good independent VW garage that will look after them, and he is a motorcyclist like I was, so had lots to talk about. 
It’s a Win Win situation (but I will miss the Gen4 Prius…..an amazing car).

Please be careful with them, my friend has had to replace 2 ECUs on them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

14 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

To be fair it wasnt that bad a car for a student in the esrly 90s.   Based on a Fiat of some kind.  

At the end of its life though it couldn't get above 50mph.

I know,any car is better than none when you're young and cab happy,as indeed was I.

My first ,an Anglia 105 van with side windows was a real wreck with putty (soft sort) stuffed in the very large rust holes , luckily there was a newly opened supermarket near by that sold "supaloob" engine oil at £1 for a gallon tin.

It used one of those per week.

But how I loved that car ,it got me out and about , the seaside,the Saturday dances at the local RAF stations with acts like the foundations and mud on the bill.

And of course to work to pay for this playboy lifestyle that I led at 17-18 .🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership