Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shaking at low rpm?

Sereal_k

Hi,

I have an auris hybrid 2010.

I am now noticing that when the car is up to temperature it sometimes starts shaking. When its on Battery it does not shake and accelerating also minimizes/stops the shaking. What could the issue be?

At first i thought engine brackets but why does it only happen after the car has warmed up?

Summed up:

Only does it after it has warmed up

Low rpms 

Not on Battery.

Don't feel it in the steering.

Egr needs attention, cleaning procedure. 

I was thinking egr aswell after reading more about it.

It does not sound like a misfire but sometimes i do hear a rattling sound.

21 minutes ago, Sereal_k said:

I was thinking egr aswell after reading more about it.

It does not sound like a misfire but sometimes i do hear a rattling sound.

What’s the car mileage? If you 100k or above and egr system never cleaned, then you should do it anyway. 👍

Yes the milage is up there it was bought second hand so i have no clue.

Cleaning the egr couldn't hurt that for sure.

Ill see if the local mechanic has time. The dealer is booked solid for 3 weeks so they can try to fit me in.

I was wondering if it was something more serious like a cv joint or axle because i wouldn't dare drive much more with it in that case.

But thanks for al the suggestions.

Is there a reason why the symptoms only happen after the engine is hot?

I would assume in most cases it should be the opposite as when the oil heats up stuff should move better.

23 minutes ago, Sereal_k said:

Yes the milage is up there it was bought second hand so i have no clue.

Cleaning the egr couldn't hurt that for sure.

Ill see if the local mechanic has time. The dealer is booked solid for 3 weeks so they can try to fit me in.

I was wondering if it was something more serious like a cv joint or axle because i wouldn't dare drive much more with it in that case.

But thanks for al the suggestions.

Is there a reason why the symptoms only happen after the engine is hot?

I would assume in most cases it should be the opposite as when the oil heats up stuff should move better.

If you watch this video it’s about these nasty knocking caused by misfires as a result of bad egr. Usually they come only in certain circumstances like when hybrid Battery is low and engine is running under load to recharge the Battery or sudden rpm changes, after engine start especially on cold, sometimes when weather is very hot too.

Is it gonna cause any damage to other components?

My answer is yes, it can If you keep driving the car like that for a very long time, the knocking may cause clutch damper failure which is expensive to replace £1500+ or engine piston damage too. I have driven probably 5-10k miles with knocking engine from time to time and had no problems. I have  cleaned the egr system properly and covered over 65k miles ever since. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links