Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross 2022 - oh dear!

moveover0_

Hi, thought I'd join the group as my new company car delivered on Monday was my first Toyota and to be honest, I'm not. Impressed 

Having previously had a Kia Sportage and before that a Skoda Octavia I was apprehensive as to the Yaris cross and I was right to be!

Firstly, whoever designed the door cubby holes and the other storage area clearly has no intention of ever driving one, as the door ones cannot be accessed unless you have the door open(!) or contort yourself as the armrest is in the way. The left arm rest has a shallow storage area which blocks access to the drinks holder(s) underneath it.

And then we come to the cruise control which I've yet to workout how to use. All I get is a message telling me radar is ready and it gives me multiple options for this but has yet to left me actually set the speed I wish to cruise at. The bottom half of the switch just operates the limit.

Why would they design a system that isn't an easy one click function and could cause an accident when the driver is having to fiddle around and look at that instead of the screen??

(Don't start me off on the design model not having sat nav and folding mirrors as standard!)

If any one has any idea how to get the cruise control to work I'd be most grateful, although out of all the cars I've driven so far this is possibly the most impractical one I've had for long work driving

I agree that Toyota cruise control isn't as simple like other manufacturers I've experienced ( Ford & Peugeot being 2 ) 

I'm going to do the unthinkable & read the manual over the weekend to see how it's operated. 

10 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

I agree that Toyota cruise control isn't as simple like other manufacturers I've experienced ( Ford & Peugeot being 2 ) 

I'm going to do the unthinkable & read the manual over the weekend to see how it's operated. 

I cannot believe that you have not read it already Lee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, moveover0_ said:

Hi, thought I'd join the group as my new company car delivered on Monday was my first Toyota and to be honest, I'm not. Impressed 

Having previously had a Kia Sportage and before that a Skoda Octavia I was apprehensive as to the Yaris cross and I was right to be!

Firstly, whoever designed the door cubby holes and the other storage area clearly has no intention of ever driving one, as the door ones cannot be accessed unless you have the door open(!) or contort yourself as the armrest is in the way. The left arm rest has a shallow storage area which blocks access to the drinks holder(s) underneath it.

And then we come to the cruise control which I've yet to workout how to use. All I get is a message telling me radar is ready and it gives me multiple options for this but has yet to left me actually set the speed I wish to cruise at. The bottom half of the switch just operates the limit.

Why would they design a system that isn't an easy one click function and could cause an accident when the driver is having to fiddle around and look at that instead of the screen??

(Don't start me off on the design model not having sat nav and folding mirrors as standard!)

If any one has any idea how to get the cruise control to work I'd be most grateful, although out of all the cars I've driven so far this is possibly the most impractical one I've had for long work driving

Did you choose the car Cliff or was it allocated to you by your Employer ?

Have you read the Handbook yet ?

• Like 1

I didn't pick the car, company went for this for field base staff.

I've read through this part of the manual but isn't clear as it's all tied in with the radar system which has so many options! It should be one click but seems Toyota think otherwise!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't ind it that complicated....

Press the cruise control active button (little white car symbol) and then move the switch next to it down towards 'set' - this sets the speed right there and then.

If you want to go straight up to the speed limit then hold the '+res' button for 3 seconds, if you want to go up or down in increments of 5mph use the switch up or down.

The distance button has 3 stages - far away, just right, German saloon driver (!) and the button next to that controls the lane keeping.  If it is set with cruise control, and the car picks up the lane markings, then the car will auto steer to keep you in lane - works very well on A roads and Motorways.

You can adjust the lane keeping/steering and it's force in the menu, but I might keep that for the next lesson!

JL100015_1-1-scaled.jpg

• Like 6

Its radar based CC

Press the cruise button or press and hold for 2 seconds for constant speed, get to your desired speed then push set button down (-Set)

• Like 1

Yes I tend to agree about the cruise control on the Yaris I had a Yaris as a courtesy car and thought it was over complicated. The corolla I have seems more straightforward, although I thought the cruise control on the auris was much simpler.

I always read the handbook thoroughly makes interesting reading sat on the toilet! 😀

I prefer the positive feel buttons on the Yaris over the Corolla. 

1 hour ago, moveover0_ said:

I've read through this part of the manual but isn't clear as it's all tied in with the radar system which has so many options! It should be one click but seems Toyota think otherwise!

Not good that your employer should impose  vehicle upon you Cliff. It should at least offer some basic training/introduction.

32 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

Yes I tend to agree about the cruise control on the Yaris I had a Yaris as a courtesy car and thought it was over complicated. The corolla I have seems more straightforward, although I thought the cruise control on the auris was much simpler.

I always read the handbook thoroughly makes interesting reading sat on the toilet! 😀

I find that it makes interesting reading Rosgoe and re-reading. Each time I read it I see something  interesting !

3 hours ago, moveover0_ said:

If it’s your first Toyota it is normal many things to look unfamiliar and strange. Perhaps you may need some more time and you will discover the positive side of been a Toyota, the pleasure of driving experience hybrids deliver and the joy of high efficiency and overall usability of the car. I personally went through a list of difficulties switching between different males but once I got use to it now I am more than happy with these cars 👍 Can’t help with anything else as I have a different model Toyota, it’s not a perfect but does it’s job well 👍

• Like 1

You're quite right, things do look strange but also totally illogical!

I have no problem with the hybrid nature just the Mod edit cruise and general interior layout!

I should be able to get in the car and drive it without having to drive dangerously due to the complicated manoeuvres required just to engage the cruise control!

The manual is worse than useless. References an older version as they haven't bothered to update it ( 2022 model has the limiter and cruise/radar in one small joined button).

Wish I still had the Octavia, great car with clever/logical features that not only functioned as they should but were easy to use and a manual that related to the car!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's the Japanese way, you just need to get used to it, at least you won't have a loud German bloke shouting at you now,

1st hybrid ?? Well that's going to be a learning curve too, it's a different driving style

• Like 1

Someone else was complaining you had to turn on the CC first as well, but in all the cars I've driven with CC *all* of them were the same!

The Mk4 is the first one with steering controls rather than a stalk that I've driven, but all the ones with a stalk still required you to push the stalk 'in' to arm the cruise control before it could be used, then push up/down on the stalk to set/resume/+/- etc.

I really don't get the issue - It's just 2 button presses and the cruise control is on (Basically up on the left-most rocker and down on the middle one). I didn't even have to think about it to activate it to use it - It's exactly the same process as it is on literally every other car with CC I've ever driven, even from other marques! Yeah those used stalks, some didn't even have the stalk in the same place (*gasp*) but it's still CC->On and Set, every time.

If it's the symbology that's confusing then fair enough, as not every manufacturer uses the same symbols, but the Res+/Set- should be a  dead giveaway to anyone who's used cruise control in a previous car before.

Agree about the interior storage being sub-par tho' esp. compared to the Mk2 and Mk1's I came from. At least it's better than the Mk3's, but it sounds like the Cross is even worse than the normal Mk4 Yaris from what you say which just reinforces my belief that crossovers and SUVs are stupid.

If you don't need the bigger boot of the Ecks version, tell them to swap it for a normal Yaris - Same problems but at least it's smaller, plus it gets better mpg and is more fun to drive :naughty: (Or maybe a GR but the waiting time is a biiit long on those...)

• Like 2

Looking at your previous cars, it does not appear your company did not explain the rational for the change or match the car to your expectations. 

What is your company's expectations for switching to a smaller hybrid from a different company? 

I had two IT engineers that maintained my computers.  They were on a 4 hour response and their area was North Wales to Lincolnshire and North to the border.  They had Mondeo Estates. The company switched them to Focus.  It didn't match their expectations ; they were not happy. 

They haven't explained why and the choice to opt out and accept a car allowance was offered. Sadly the conditions attached to opting out would have resulted in a loss each month.

For the region I cover I'm not looking forward to driving 35k per year in it.

Lots to think about!

From what you have said I think they gave you the wrong car.  Regardless of your criticism I don't think it is the right car for that mileage unless you do half that mileage in town.

You can get very low consumption and enjoy the relaxed motoring that these very comfortable and efficient hybrids can offer.  However your high mileage suggests long journeys at motorway speeds.  In two contrasting long distance trips, one achieved 46 mpg and average of 57 mph with some very bad weather but not particularly cold.  The other with temperatures in the high teens was 74 mpg and a relaxed average of 47 mph.

For your mileage either a diesel or a Tesla is what you need.  The latter being the only choice of you need to enter ULEZ. 😀

Corolla hybrid 1.8 saloon or estate will be better choice.

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Corolla hybrid 1.8 saloon or estate will be better choice.

Saloon an issue now, but regarding the hatch even though the list price is higher a Corolla is a cheaper purchase than a Yaris Cross explains the reason why my order is a Corolla. Not only that, the Corolla Design is much higher specified than a Yaris / Yaris Cross Design.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kental said:

Saloon an issue now, but regarding the hatch even though the list price is higher a Corolla is a cheaper purchase than a Yaris Cross explains the reason why my order is a Corolla. Not only that, the Corolla Design is much higher specified than a Yaris / Yaris Cross Design.

Company bean counters are only interested in the total cost over the lease period. Those numbers don't usually bear much resemblance to list price or what private buyers consider, and specs are largely irrelevant.

The OP will have been given the car that is capable of doing what is needed and is cheapest for the company.

• Like 1

Mike, quite, clearly selecting what seemed best price without regard for suitablity for its job. 

My last contractor provided first a Honda and then a Focus.  Come contract renewal we specified 4 wheel drive for off road use and a load carrying capacity. I had about 20 miles of off road tracks to access parts of my site. 

The OP, in rural Lincolnshire presumably needs to travel some 700 miles per week or over 140 miles per day. 

Would you really want to spend 4 hours per day sitting in a Yaris or Corolla?  I did 5 hours yesterday, really enjoyable and shared the driving with the car.  Every day with the cut and thrust on the A46 and A1; not if I can avoid it. 

I always find it takes a few months to get everything set and understood. You’ll get used to it in time. 👍

6 hours ago, Starensis said:

I always find it takes a few months to get everything set and understood. You’ll get used to it in time. 👍

I think i've been spoilt in the past, having company cars that suited the role (Skoda Superb & Octavia, Kia Sportage), now it's seems its just about the best/cheapest deal they can get!

btw, it seems that my model (Design) doesn't have wireless connection for android auto, so the only usb connection has to be used to get access to maps - because of course, this model doesn't have sat nav....... 

how will i be able to listen to my "It's always sunny" podcasts? 🙂

21 minutes ago, moveover0_ said:

how will i be able to listen to my "It's always sunny" podcasts?

Presume the outlook is gloomy .....

• Haha 2