Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checking Yaris oil level

Cyclopse11

I am finding it hard work to check the oil level on the dipstick of my D4D 2010. The side facing the engine is showing just below minimum dot. Side facing radiator is smeared 2 inches above maximum dot. 

The orange oil light has come on a for just a few seconds on the motorway before I topped it up. 

Which side do I believe?

Thanks

Cyclopse

Yeah it's a bit of a pain that; I usually went with the lowest one but I checked my oil regularly so it was fairly easy to figure out which side was lying.

Also, the correct side should be level and even; The smeary side usually has several streaks, esp. near the edges, whereas the correct side will have a nice level line across the width of the stick.

You may have to wipe and re-dip a few times to get a better reading if there is a lot of oil smeared up the pipe!

Just be glad you have a D4D so the oil is visible - The 0w8 on my Mk4 is practically invisible!!

• Like 3

As per Cyker description only read the first continuous marks on the dipstick, anything after is just an oil marks left from the dipstick tube. 👍

1B004A9E-C3FE-4FC1-B5E5-BD2A5C2A8496.jpeg

• Like 2

Mine doesn't indicate like your picture Tony. the two "smears" of oil are connected when I check, usually the engine side. However, the other side has the oil up to the full dot. I go off that one.

No matter how long it sits 5min, 10min a day, and no matter how many times the dipstick is wiped it's always the same!

It must be the shape, length and size of the tube which allows oil to stick to it's sides when the dipstick is withdrawn.

It can't help that the tube extends to the bottom of the sump and always contains oil. Of course it has to be like that because the dipstick is so flexible.

Here's a "proper" arrangement from 60 years ago.:laugh: The tube doesn't extend into the sump, no need, because the dipstick sits directly in the oil and is rigid. A perfect reading every time, on both sides of the dipstick.:ph34r:

dip 4 resize.jpg

dip 3 resize.jpg

dip 2 resize.jpg

dip 1 resize.jpg

9 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

It can't help that the tube extends to the bottom of the sump and always contains oil. Of course it has to be like that because the dipstick is so flexible.

Here's a "proper" arrangement from 60 years ago.:laugh: The tube doesn't extend into the sump, no need, because the dipstick sits directly in the oil and is rigid. A perfect reading every time, on both sides of the dipstick.:ph34r:

dip 4 resize.jpg

dip 3 resize.jpg

dip 2 resize.jpg

dip 1 resize.jpg

Old school 👌

As cyker says, the Mk4 is even harder to accurately read the oil level.

Tbh, i've given up. This is now the first car i've ever owned where i don't check it every week. It's pointless as it's very hard to read and always seems to give a different level.

I just drive now and hope the red light doesn't come on.

7 hours ago, Mikw said:

As cyker says, the Mk4 is even harder to accurately read the oil level.

Tbh, i've given up. This is now the first car i've ever owned where i don't check it every week. It's pointless as it's very hard to read and always seems to give a different level.

I just drive now and hope the red light doesn't come on.

Can you please do one last oil check and take a picture of the readings on the dipstick, it is very interesting to me how bad is indeed. Thanks a lot 👌👍

Oh for proper instrumentation.  My last car you could gauge the oil from the dash.  It would advise you to ensure the car was level.  It would tell you to wait after switching off, and then tell you how much to put in.  Both cars actually from 2000.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:42 AM, TonyHSD said:

Can you please do one last oil check and take a picture of the readings on the dipstick, it is very interesting to me how bad is indeed. Thanks a lot 👌👍

I will do when i check it next, probably in a few weeks time.

• Thanks 1