Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are Corollas not for high milers?

nielshm

My Corolla 2.0 has done 82.000 km since 11/2019. 

I have a profile on spritmonitor.de, and have made registrations of all my fill ups. 500 corollas 2.0 are members on spritmonitor.de, but I'm the one with most miles on the clock. 

If I search used car silimar to mine, I can't find any one with more than 75.000 km. Not even in Germany using mobile.de.

I don't see my self as a high miler, but that must be the case. Or what? People with the need for 30-40000 km a year don't but Corollas? 

So about 21000 miles per year.

I would have bought the 1.8 or maybe a diesel if it was motorway miles.

I suppose a lot of folk still favour a diesel for high mileage. Your mileage is pretty high though. About double the average.

In the uk on Auto Trader there is a late 2019 2.0 TS at a dealer with over 67000 miles (107000 km).

Probably depends on the country to a large extent but in the UK the average annual millage before Covid was around 10k. Covid has probably reduced that quite a bit. For instance I used to commute 11 miles and back but I'm now working from home and will never go back to commuting. My car is over three years old and as it happens some time today it will finally reach 20k miles.

I'd estimate that my annual millage has dropped from around 9k to 5k or maybe less.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, camellia30 said:

So about 21000 miles per year.

I would have bought the 1.8 or maybe a diesel if it was motorway miles.

Working conditions changed 7 months ago with much more motorway, but untill that, only 20% of my driving was on motorway. 

The funny thing is, every time I get a new car, my milage increases. If the car is pleasant and nice to drive, long journeys and holidays across Europe are no problem. 

• Like 1

There is a thread on the Yaris section.  Someone in Lincolnshire has been given a Cross for work.  His annual mileage is 35k.

In my opinion he has been allocated the wrong car. 

I have not driven hybrid vehicles for several thousand miles on motorways but whatever I did, I prefer diesel for motorways. My car is a 2-litre hybrid but I don't find it better than the diesel car that I had on motorways. I guess many drivers might be like me! However, I know some members on here have done lots of motorway miles without any issue.

• Like 1

Spo, both.  From a 220D Merc to the 1.8 Corolla.  The Merc over mixed roads and motorway at 70 mph true would return a shade under 50 mpg.  That of course would drop in Germany when driving at 90+.

The Corolla is very comfortable and encourages a leisurely progress at 55-60 but when pressed hard returns a similar mpg under 50.

The Merc was much better.  In more relaxed rural or town driving the Corolla wins. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Spo, both.  From a 220D Merc to the 1.8 Corolla.  The Merc over mixed roads and motorway at 70 mph true would return a shade under 50 mpg.  That of course would drop in Germany when driving at 90+.

The Corolla is very comfortable and encourages a leisurely progress at 55-60 but when pressed hard returns a similar mpg under 50.

The Merc was much better.  In more relaxed rural or town driving the Corolla wins. 

I had a 1.9 tdi Golf, and it used to easily do 60mpg on motorways at 70mph. Now most of my driving is in town and and you rightly pointed out, hybrid wins. Sometimes i get like 70mpg in a town with a 2 litre C-HR but again it is 3.5 miles distance! 1.8 would do even better 

• Like 1

Toyota hybrids are great for motor cruising. They are not so great for fast motorway speeds though like anything above 70-80mph, especially the smaller engines. Perhaps 2.0 and 2.5 dynamic force engines will be most suitable. I do drive a lot, even after covid I do guaranteed over 40-45k miles per year, previously 50k recorded with 1.8 Auris ( very similar to Corolla 1.8), and it’s absolutely fine. Most importantly the car performance, efficiency and overall drivability remains unchanged after many miles and years. This is something ultra important imo. Currently rocking at over 56mpg with E10 95, and every next fill up the range continues to improve with the weather warms up. 
Back in 2017 on my European trip there were almost no hybrids you can seen  on eu and particularly German motorways, once you off the motorways and in bigger towns full off,  especially Priuses. 
In USA recently was announced a Corolla saloon hybrid 1.8 the only option available there done 170k miles in one year. 
Toyota hybrids are probably the best replacement of any diesel powered motor cruiser currently available and the only clever option to choose if you are not about to buy a full ev. 
I have my personal choice for a best car for myself to enjoy driving and it’s down below, would have had happily buy one in a heartbeat if no need to trash it for my work travel. Until then the Auris will be my work horse 🐎 

• Like 3

Just trundling about with some 70 mph dual carriageway use my 2 litre hybrid C-HR is returning decent average mpg.

Average mpg.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota hybrids are great for motor cruising. They are not so great for fast motorway speeds though like anything above 70-80mph, especially the smaller engines. Perhaps 2.0 and 2.5 dynamic force engines will be most suitable. I do drive a lot, even after covid I do guaranteed over 40-45k miles per year, previously 50k recorded with 1.8 Auris ( very similar to Corolla 1.8), and it’s absolutely fine. Most importantly the car performance, efficiency and overall drivability remains unchanged after many miles and years. This is something ultra important imo. Currently rocking at over 56mpg with E10 95, and every next fill up the range continues to improve with the weather warms up. 
Back in 2017 on my European trip there were almost no hybrids you can seen  on eu and particularly German motorways, once you off the motorways and in bigger towns full off,  especially Priuses. 
In USA recently was announced a Corolla saloon hybrid 1.8 the only option available there done 170k miles in one year. 
Toyota hybrids are probably the best replacement of any diesel powered motor cruiser currently available and the only clever option to choose if you are not about to buy a full ev. 
I have my personal choice for a best car for myself to enjoy driving and it’s down below, would have had happily buy one in a heartbeat if no need to trash it for my work travel. Until then the Auris will be my work horse 🐎 

Lexus discontinued IS300H in the UK- that is what I wanted. Older ones are still good but lack all sorts of connectivities of a modern car. We could not find anything suitable in Lexus offerings- UX was too small and NX was too big.

54 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Just trundling about with some 70 mph dual carriageway use my 2 litre hybrid C-HR is returning decent average mpg.

Average mpg.jpg

If you drive for a long time (and distance) and at a constant speed of 70 mph (set by cruise control), then I would be keen to what you are getting. I do get similar for 50-60 miles journey via motorway but the mpg really improves in slow traffic or urban areas etc. where the car leverages EV benefit. But overall, it is still the best bet IMO.

My journey distance is normally 10 miles or less, its rare I ever do long distance journeys. 

• Like 1

FA, exactly, get the car that meets your needs. 

"Currently rocking at over 56mpg with E10 95, and every next fill up the range continues to improve with the weather warms up. 

My average through spring was 57 and now improving rapidly which brings a question. 

I remember in the 50s, with cars having continously running fans, it was quite usual to see cars with leather radiator grill covers. On some cheaper models owners would blank off the radiator with cardboard. 

While we have thermostatically controlled fans that run when the radiator heats is there a case for covers when it is really cold? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I remember in the 50s, with cars having continously running fans, it was quite usual to see cars with leather radiator grill covers. On some cheaper models owners would blank off the radiator with cardboard. 

While we have thermostatically controlled fans that run when the radiator heats is there a case for covers when it is really cold? 

Some modern cars have active grill shutters that can open / close depending on the cooling requirements of the engine. 

They can also close to help aerodynamic efficiencies to save fuel. 

Active Grille Shutters | Valeo

13 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Some modern cars have active grill shutters that can open / close depending on the cooling requirements of the engine. 

They can also close to help aerodynamic efficiencies to save fuel. 

Active Grille Shutters | Valeo

I had this in my humble 2019 Kia Ceed- that car was very good coasting machine 

I travel 29 miles each day to work and the same return, and will be doing so in my new Corolla in a few weeks. I did a full blast down the motorway for my test drive in an 2.0 Excel and very happy with the ride overall and the mpg returns as displayed was in the mid 50's without CC.

To be honest it will be a massive improvement from my 15 plate Yaris and from my 12 plate Aygo before that. The excel has acoustic glass which will help with the comfort too. Everyone has their own uses for their car, the Corolla can very happily be used for long distant, high mileage driving, especially with the comfy seats.

Just because owners of high mileage 2.0 Corollas don't feature on a third party website, doesn't mean that the car isn't suitable for higher than average mileage or that the Corolla isn't bought or leased by these people or companies. All it is is a snapshot of one particular version.

• Like 3

I never thought about getting a diesel. Petrol is a more expensive fuel, but different climate politics can suddently make a diesel powered car a thing to be avoided. Some cities demands at least euro 6 if entering with a diesel engine. Maybe one day a total ban will remove the last diesels? 

Since I want to keep my car in 7 or 8 years a hybrid was to safest choice for me. 21.000 miles a year costs a bit more with petrol, but right now I can go any where without limitations. 

• Like 1

If I can rack up 14-15k miles a year in my Mk 4 Yaris with tank averages between 68-80mpg, I'm sure the Corolla will be just fine (Maybe better since the seat actually has lumbar support whereas I have to use a rolled-up towel...!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just because owners of high mileage 2.0 Corollas don't feature on a third party website, doesn't mean that the car isn't suitable for higher than average mileage or that the Corolla isn't bought or leased by these people or companies. All it is is a snapshot of one particular version.

You're right about it's all a snapshot. But searching nearly a 1000 used cars, and only very few, 2-3 cars, with milage higher than 50.000 miles just surprises me. I know that the high milers can out on the road. 

I believe your cars also has active grills for improved thermo efficiency and aerodynamics. First introduced with Prius 2016-> 👍

Mine is 1.8 TS icon tech. Got it since 1st of March this year and already done 2800 miles. Since the weather got warmer the MPG has improved - the picture belowis a mixed driving motorway, 50 miles roads and a bit of City driving. Last 2 tanks I filled with 99 octane petrol and it seems to be helping a bit - the one from Tesco is £1.68 which is almost as the regular e10 from Shell for example. Will be doing good 20k + miles per year and with this fuel economy I think it is a perfect car to put lots and lots of miles. With the current fuel prices it's actually even better compared to my old 1.6 diesel Civic which was averaging real 65mpg.

20220417_195225.thumb.jpg.cf88bdeca0b0396b85122cf4deb0b965.jpg

• Like 4