Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are Corollas not for high milers?

nielshm

I'd gladly use mine on the congested motorways of the UK its absolutely ideal for creeping along in the queues with the ACC on its so relaxed and easy to drive. Economy on mine is now creeping up towards the 55mpg mark as the weather warms up a bit and the total mileage is about 6000 now. My daily commute is a round trip of 20 miles on windy B roads. 

• Like 4

I am averaging 56-57 mpg with city/highway mix with ACC on the 2.0

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

I am averaging 56-57 mpg with city/highway mix with ACC on the 2.0

Now that the outside temperature is well into double digits I'm approaching 65 mpg with my 1.8. Got a long trip in a couple of weeks which should see me hit 70.

• Like 4

Very good numbers here from both 1.8 and 2.0 engines. One thing that I don’t like in latest Corolla are the tyre sizes options. Manufacturer should really give options to customers to pick their preferred choice of size to match their choice of trim levels. For example excel on 16” wheels will drive much nicer and will become even more efficient while the handling will remain almost unchanged. I will probably do that myself. At least on design if you can pick 16” wheels would have been great 👍 

• Like 6

As a high mileage driver, in fact my job spec is 'mobile worker', they are ideal.

Lot less tiring to drive after a 4hr out, 4 hr back haul.

Crazy mpg (I made minimum £270 last FY at government fuel rates)

Big improvement over my previous V40, just a couple of bizarre Toyota' isms , like the idiotic seat adjustment.

But very happy here, and holds the crazy amount of kit I sometimes need to carry around 

• Like 1

im getting an official 65mpg from my tank with the enginbe run in at 2k miles
i fin dgoing over 65 mph on th emotorway to give fuelk ecoinomy a hit, averaging 50-60mph on motorways without cc can give me up to 80 mppg,

doing 75 on adaptive cruise control usually gives about 55mpg

These are the computer numbers, i also measure tank to tank and it seems to be off by ~10%

• Like 1

I have a 2.0 sports tourer new last week of jan 21, its done 36000 about 58000 km, is mine the highest miles ? 😀

I like driving it long distances, but only average about 47mpg, doesnt help that it is always fully laden

• Thanks 1

had mine ts 2.0 fitted gr rims (18 inch falken tyres) on it getting tank to tank 53-57mpg. Best i achieve on 2.0 ts is 72mpg, 1.9 ts 78mpg both computer trip reading. Done 4500 miles since FEB

• Like 1

Meh. Just filled up prior to a lengthy trip to Bristol tomorrow and the dash reported 63 but my pump-to-pump fill was 57mpg. I'll have to fill up again tomorrow on the return so we will see.

I also changed from a 1.6 diesel Civic to a Suzuki Swace and find it just as economical. 

I do a high mileage per year, but I reasoned that so many taxis around the world must be 1.8 hybrids,  so I'm sure it's up to the job.

I wonder how high mileage they get in old Prius and Auris models? 

51 minutes ago, Clive Parnell said:

I also changed from a 1.6 diesel Civic to a Suzuki Swace and find it just as economical. 

I do a high mileage per year, but I reasoned that so many taxis around the world must be 1.8 hybrids,  so I'm sure it's up to the job.

I wonder how high mileage they get in old Prius and Auris models? 

There are some well over 300k miles, perhaps some over 400k. I am currently at 208k in my Auris so not that high. I actually don’t count the miles like something that makes the car old or less worthy but just for the service record 😉👍

• Like 1

That's reassuring thanks

On 4/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, nielshm said:

My Corolla 2.0 has done 82.000 km since 11/2019. 

I have a profile on spritmonitor.de, and have made registrations of all my fill ups. 500 corollas 2.0 are members on spritmonitor.de, but I'm the one with most miles on the clock. 

If I search used car silimar to mine, I can't find any one with more than 75.000 km. Not even in Germany using mobile.de.

I don't see my self as a high miler, but that must be the case. Or what? People with the need for 30-40000 km a year don't but Corollas? 

I've done 75000 miles so far in my 2019 2.0 Excel. That's way less than normal due to covid, by now all my previous cars would be on about 145000. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Supertaf said:

I've done 75000 miles so far in my 2019 2.0 Excel. That's way less than normal due to covid, by now all my previous cars would be on about 145000. 

Hi Mark

Any issues with the car so far?

I have a Corolla GR Sport 1.8 as a Company vehicle as I was not allowed my first choice Peugeot 2008 Diesel 1.5 due to it being bright metallic orange colour.

I find the Corolla far more thirsty than a diesel would be - 1.6 Astra diesel i spent £17 after 330 miles... the Corolla now £27.  

Are you comparing costs before and after the massive fuel price hike tho'?

I could say my Mk1 Yaris only cost me £30 for >600miles vs the ~£40ish I'm paying for >400 miles in the Mk4, but that would be blatantly unfair since the diesel was less than £1/L back then vs the £1.60/L I'm paying now!

I will say you can't drive the hybrids as hard as a diesel and still get high mpg's tho - Diesels just have a much higher thermal efficiency than petrol and that will always be the case.

With the hybrids, you really need to leverage the wasted energy captured by the Battery to get the higher mpgs; If you can drive the car in the Eco/Eco+ zone as much as possible that helps - If you push into the Power zone of the gauge the car assumes you want to get a move on and don't care about fuel economy and it will just throw fuel at the engine like it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Are you comparing costs before and after the massive fuel price hike tho'?

I could say my Mk1 Yaris only cost me £30 for >600miles vs the ~£40ish I'm paying for >400 miles in the Mk4, but that would be blatantly unfair since the diesel was less than £1/L back then vs the £1.60/L I'm paying now!

I will say you can't drive the hybrids as hard as a diesel and still get high mpg's tho - Diesels just have a much higher thermal efficiency than petrol and that will always be the case.

With the hybrids, you really need to leverage the wasted energy captured by the battery to get the higher mpgs; If you can drive the car in the Eco/Eco+ zone as much as possible that helps - If you push into the Power zone of the gauge the car assumes you want to get a move on and don't care about fuel economy and it will just throw fuel at the engine like it doesn't matter.

Very true on fuel prices - but i was referring to recent times and a comparison of prices at that time.

That said when you need to go up hills then it will always hit the PWR zone to get up those hills... and it revs high too.  In ECO you can't gain anything as you need the power at that point.  Also ECO tends to hold you back and when trying to cruise it just slows down slowly until you need to hit the accelerator again.

I tend to flick it to Sport when needed and then back to either Normal or Eco as and when on the road conditions.

Diesels will always be best for motorway... Hybrids are for town driving in reality.

I tend to agree, but to be fair the new gen hybrids like yours give diesels a good run for their money on the motorway, while modern diesels can't be used in town much because the DPFs quickly clog up and you get fined from all these stupid ULEZ-type things popping up (KHAAAAN!)

The hybrids do call for more pedal finesse - I find I can climb most hills while keeping the engine in Eco+, but it's tricky to stop it creeping into PWR; You won't pick up speed very fast, but it will get you up the hill and if you got to an appropriate speed beforehand it'll hold it easily.

Hitting the PWR zone for quick bursts doesn't drag the mpg down much, so I usually do some short burst acceleration to get up to speed, then back off to hold it there. Staying in PWR for extended periods really drags the mpg down. You can't just do a massive drag like you can in a diesel without it dropping the mpg.

• Like 1

That’s very wrong about diesels and Toyota hybrids in general, popular misconception. 👌

Toyota hybrids are unique machines, magic like technology that allows the internal combustion engine work at very low rpm while cruising on motorway. They are indeed not suitable for fast motorway speeds, anything over 70mph , for example doing 80mph and over with full loaded car and racing with the rest of the cars around, yes your hybrid won’t win the race firstly and secondly your efficiency will suffer slightly. Diesel engines only suitable for large heavy vehicles. Toyota hybrids are perfect replacement of the diesels and excellent motorway cruisers. They are easy and relaxed to drive, efficient and reliable. Highly recommended. Just pick the right car with the right engine size and you will see for yourself. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

I have a Corolla GR Sport 1.8 as a Company vehicle as I was not allowed my first choice Peugeot 2008 Diesel 1.5 due to it being bright metallic orange colour.  

Lucky escape there then 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How is TS 2.0 hybrid on the highway? Is it comfortable ride, are there any vibrations etc and most importantly - how are the noise levels? Where I am TS 2.0 only comes with Luxury trim which includes “acoustic windows”, but I don’t know how much difference this really makes.

How is TS 2.0 hybrid on the highway? Is it comfortable ride, are there any vibrations etc and most importantly - how are the noise levels? Where I am TS 2.0 only comes with Luxury trim which includes “acoustic windows”, but I don’t know how much difference this really makes.

Few times already filling the tank, stopping after the third stop of the nozzle and my real life MPG is higher then the one shown on the dash 65 on the petrol station vs 64mpg on the dash. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong? I always fill my tank to the top - 2nd or even 3rd stop of the nozzle

Has this happened to someone else?

35 minutes ago, Niky said:

Few times already filling the tank, stopping after the third stop of the nozzle and my real life MPG is higher then the one shown on the dash 65 on the petrol station vs 64mpg on the dash. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong? I always fill my tank to the top - 2nd or even 3rd stop of the nozzle

Has this happened to someone else?

Yes, it is possible and happens to me too few times recently. 👌

On 5/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, Tech429 said:

That said when you need to go up hills then it will always hit the PWR zone to get up those hills... and it revs high too.

I'm very familiar with the Conwy area having lived in Llandudno for several years and had relatives there for a couple of decades. I've just come back from a week spent based in Denbigh, visiting golf courses all over North Wales. I only had to push my 1.8 into the PWR on a few occasions. Mine will climb Rhuallt hill at 60 mph without going into the PWR zone.

I've owned a 1.8 Excel for over three years and it's unusual to have to push the car into the PWR zone. Almost the only time it happens is when I have a reason to get a shift on and that just isn't very often. I can keep up with the rest of the traffic without going into PWR.

As others say - you just need to moderate your right foot. A heavy right foot consumes fuel but in most cases it doesn't make much difference to the journey time 😉

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links