Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are Corollas not for high milers?

nielshm

On 5/15/2022 at 9:38 PM, Niky said:

Few times already filling the tank, stopping after the third stop of the nozzle and my real life MPG is higher then the one shown on the dash 65 on the petrol station vs 64mpg on the dash. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong? I always fill my tank to the top - 2nd or even 3rd stop of the nozzle

Has this happened to someone else?

stop after the first stop of the nozzle otherwise you will damage the evap system

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

stop after the first stop of the nozzle otherwise you will damage the evap system

Don’t stress with that. Although make sense and the risk of damage is real this is very rare occurrence and perhaps happens not as often. I had done many times overfills on many different cars and never run into a trouble. Once even fuel came out as the garage floor was uneven and the pump did not stop the flow for some reason. No problems to date. 👍

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, AndrueC said:

I'm very familiar with the Conwy area having lived in Llandudno for several years and had relatives there for a couple of decades. I've just come back from a week spent based in Denbigh, visiting golf courses all over North Wales. I only had to push my 1.8 into the PWR on a few occasions. Mine will climb Rhuallt hill at 60 mph without going into the PWR zone.

I've owned a 1.8 Excel for over three years and it's unusual to have to push the car into the PWR zone. Almost the only time it happens is when I have a reason to get a shift on and that just isn't very often. I can keep up with the rest of the traffic without going into PWR.

As others say - you just need to moderate your right foot. A heavy right foot consumes fuel but in most cases it doesn't make much difference to the journey time 😉

With our Yaris I can see how you can keep out of the PWR zone with the Eco gauge, but on a Corolla with a rev counter how do you know when you technically go into the PWR zone?

8 minutes ago, Kental said:

With our Yaris I can see how you can keep out of the PWR zone with the Eco gauge, but on a Corolla with a rev counter how do you know when you technically go into the PWR zone?

The eco gauge is available on the instrument panel screen

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

The eco gauge is available on the instrument panel screen

Yup. It shares a screen with the instantaneous fuel consumption page. One of my minor gripes about that is the 'miles left in tank' is only shown on the instantaneous page.

When I'm driving I keep the dash showing the Eco gauge but if I activate cruise control I switch to instantaneous.

• Like 2

That’s annoying. On the Yaris you get an instantaneous bar, average mpg and range all on screen together. Along with the power meter gives a pretty comprehensive display.

The Yaris Cross that shares the mix of mechanical and digital dials like the Corolla the left gauge is a power meter rather than rev counter.

• Like 1

I much prefer the digital dash on the Yaris - I'm so glad they made that the default except on the lowest spec car. The more analogue/dially dash in the Corolla and some of the other cars feels very dated by comparison.

It is very marmite tho', like the HUD, so I can see why Toyota keep it around as there are a lot of people who have the opposite view to mine!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

I much prefer the digital dash on the Yaris - I'm so glad they made that the default except on the lowest spec car. The more analogue/dially dash in the Corolla and some of the other cars feels very dated by comparison.

It is very marmite tho', like the HUD, so I can see why Toyota keep it around as there are a lot of people who have the opposite view to mine!

👍 + 1 for the opposite side 😀

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yes, it is possible and happens to me too few times recently. 👌

It is best not to overfill and stop on the fist lock out.  You can ruin the filtering and breathing system if you overfill.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, AndrueC said:

I'm very familiar with the Conwy area having lived in Llandudno for several years and had relatives there for a couple of decades. I've just come back from a week spent based in Denbigh, visiting golf courses all over North Wales. I only had to push my 1.8 into the PWR on a few occasions. Mine will climb Rhuallt hill at 60 mph without going into the PWR zone.

I've owned a 1.8 Excel for over three years and it's unusual to have to push the car into the PWR zone. Almost the only time it happens is when I have a reason to get a shift on and that just isn't very often. I can keep up with the rest of the traffic without going into PWR.

As others say - you just need to moderate your right foot. A heavy right foot consumes fuel but in most cases it doesn't make much difference to the journey time 😉

I do not have a heavy foot - so this is not an issue.  But I have yet to keep this in the ECO+ zone when going up Rhuallt Hill - or any other steep hill for that matter... 

Yes there is an element of trying to keep things in equilibrium but it is sometimes necessary to get passed that slightly slower vehicle and so just touching on the pedal creeps it into the PWr zone.

Only had it 2 months so hopefully will get used to it.  But it still is not as 'convenient' as my Astra Diesel was.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:06 AM, Kental said:

That’s annoying. On the Yaris you get an instantaneous bar, average mpg and range all on screen together. Along with the power meter gives a pretty comprehensive display.

The Yaris Cross that shares the mix of mechanical and digital dials like the Corolla the left gauge is a power meter rather than rev counter.

I was sure on the GR Sport specs the rev counter was in fact the power gauge... but it is a rev counter.  Shame they did not allow for an adaptable choice (rev counter or gauge).

But on the main display you can have the power gauge if you wish... and I always have it on the HUD.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, AndrueC said:

Yup. It shares a screen with the instantaneous fuel consumption page. One of my minor gripes about that is the 'miles left in tank' is only shown on the instantaneous page.

When I'm driving I keep the dash showing the Eco gauge but if I activate cruise control I switch to instantaneous.

with experience you can judge the eco gauge from how hard you press on the accelarator

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links