Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New car - worried about clutch? Help!

Ree123

Hi all, my first car after passing my test is arriving tomorrow. The Toyota aygo x-press 2017. After having read a lot on here about people struggling with the clutch control etc I am becoming more and more nervous to drive. Any tips/advice? Thanks 

Hi Rhea, and welcome. The only advice I can give is; Don't be nervous. Remeber, you control the car, not the other way round.

Take it easy and you'll soon get the hang of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The aygo isn't a hard car to drive people who claim the clutch is hard to balance needs more driving lessons I had my aygo from 2016 - 2019 never had any issues with the stock clutch. 

But that rant over just do as you was taught by your instructor and you won't have issue my only advice on hill keep the revs between 1200-1600 before letting go on the hand brake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get the car, learn to drive it, as yours is a mk2 it's a bit more refined, if in doubt you can always get someone experienced to go out with you or drive the car to make sure it's all working as it should

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ree123 said:

Hi all, my first car after passing my test is arriving tomorrow. The Toyota aygo x-press 2017. After having read a lot on here about people struggling with the clutch control etc I am becoming more and more nervous to drive. Any tips/advice? Thanks 

Most of the comments are due to the fact that the clutch bite point is high up on the end of the travel, but this is only really an issue if you have been used to something different and even then it will depend on what the clutch was like on the previous vehicle.    I suspect that you have not had chnace to get used to a different clutch and therefore it will not be an issues for you.  It also varies from person to person, for instance I struggled with getting the clutch right for the first week or so where my wife took to the Aygo as if she had been driving for years and that was from day one.  

Try and relax and just enjoy your new car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

Most of the comments are due to the fact that the clutch bite point is high up on the end of the travel, but this is only really an issue if you have been used to something different and even then it will depend on what the clutch was like on the previous vehicle.    I suspect that you have not had chnace to get used to a different clutch and therefore it will not be an issues for you.  It also varies from person to person, for instance I struggled with getting the clutch right for the first week or so where my wife took to the Aygo as if she had been driving for years and that was from day one.  

Try and relax and just enjoy your new car.

Like this guy said the aygo is a brilliant little car, I loved driving mine from the time I had mine she was great in city and fast roads enjoy your aygo 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, appreciate the advice! Any other tips for first car (eg. Things I need/ should have) would be great. Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Until you actually get the car and try it, you won't know whether you have an issue.

You may need to acclimatise a bit to the different feel of the clutch. Getting the right amount of revs to pull away is one thing.

Could consider using an empty car park, preferably with a slope, in the evenings to practice getting used to pulling away in first, reversing, etc. Have someone with you for encouragement.

Bear in mind the Aygo has hill start assist - a firm push on the brake pedal before pulling away up a slope, will automatically hold the car on the brakes for a few seconds, which helps reduce any roll back.

With use though you will soon get used to the car - don't over-think the possibility of having an issue.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While the clutch isn't as nice as in e.g. the Yaris, I'm sure you will adapt to it - Just drive it as much as you can and your left foot will get a feel for it. Like most things in life it's all about gaining confidence and familiarity.

The most important thing is to lay down as many hours driving in the car as you can while you're still relatively fresh - Get all the stalling out the way so you get a feel for the limits of the car, and know how much clutch to let out before it bits, how much power you need to apply do move off on the flat or on a curve or up a hill etc.

The worst thing people do is pass and then not drive for ages and then when they do they've lost all feeling for the clutch and steering and it's harder to get back in it.

When I passed I just started exploring all the local side roads (And then was quickly press-ganged into giving people lifts everywhere.... which annoyingly has persisted for the past 20 years :wacko:)

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Bear in mind the Aygo has hill start assist - a firm push on the brake pedal before pulling away up a slope, will automatically hold the car on the brakes for a few seconds, which helps reduce any roll back.

I'd advise, as a new driver, that you try not to use this - Hopefully your instructor would have taught you how to do a proper hill-start using the handbrake and clutch, and that is great practice for learning and improving clutch control as it's a good way to learn how to balance the car on the clutch for a moment and how much power you need to apply to avoid stalling and to move off.

Leaning on the hill start assist from the get-go will just make you a worse driver in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'd advise, as a new driver, that you try not to use this

In my experience, the hill start assist in the Aygo is particularly easy to use, and isn't intrusive. In addition to using the handbrake and correct clutch control, it is useful in preventing roll back, and removes some concern for the inexperienced driver. 

• Like 3

Personally, I think it encourages bad habits - Namely using the foot-brake to hold the car in situations the handbrake should be used.

I feel the system has valid applications, mainly in cars with EPBs and autoboxes which don't offer the level of control you get with a manual for such situations - It's really easy to accidentally roll-back in such vehicles because the electronic systems are slower to react and have no sense of timing. Even I use it now in the Mk4 because it's both 'automatic' and doesn't have a handbrake and the EPB is so slow and awful.

I suppose it's fine to use as you get more experienced, but especially in the beginning you want to get both good habits ingrained and clutch control practise and using such systems will just impede that.

As someone who took a bit of pride in being able to take a gutless petrol car with 5 people and luggage and smoothly move it off up a hill into traffic with just throttle, clutch and handbrake, it's deffo worth getting the practice in early!

Being able to feel the car taking the load off the handbrake as you balance the accelerator and clutch forces and then ease off the handbrake is something you can only feel in a proper manual!

Hi Rhea, you have passed your test, so you are a capable driver just a little inexperienced. The more you get to drive your car the more confident you will become. When on the road keep your wits about you and don’t get distracted, keep plenty of petrol in your tank, and keep a light right foot, and enjoy many, many years of safe careful driving.👏🚗

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Namely using the foot-brake to hold the car in situations the handbrake should be used.

One can still press the brake pedal to activate hill start assist when releasing the handbrake.

In fact the owners manual mentions using hill start assist when starting on a hill.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ree123 said:

Hi all, appreciate the advice! Any other tips for first car (eg. Things I need/ should have) would be great. Thanks again! 

The very first thing to remember is have fun, both life and driving is going to throw enough problems at you that you don't need to go looking for more.  Look at the positives and not the negatives, you have passed your test and you have the pleasure of collecting your new car tomorrow.  Not only that but it is a fun car from a manufacturer that is known for producing vehicles that are reliable.     Days like this are few and far between, make sure you enjoy every minute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At the end of the day, Rhea just needs to get used to the car, have a bit of practice and enjoy it. 

• Like 3

As others have said, the Aygo is a great little car to drive and an enjoyable one to boot. We've all been there, its early days first car take your time and practice. 

My sister got a similar Peugeot 108 few years ago and she been driving her previous car for 25 years so getting the 108 was all new, she took a few weeks to get the hang of it, but now loves it. 

Also, I never had an issue with clutch on our similar 107 and 108 cars.

• Like 2

As @Puglet says, we've all been there. We all had to start somewhere. Relax, take it easy and enjoy the car.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In my experience, the hill start assist in the Aygo is particularly easy to use, and isn't intrusive. In addition to using the handbrake and correct clutch control, it is useful in preventing roll back, and removes some concern for the inexperienced driver. 

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Personally, I think it encourages bad habits - Namely using the foot-brake to hold the car in situations the handbrake should be used.

I feel the system has valid applications, mainly in cars with EPBs and autoboxes which don't offer the level of control you get with a manual for such situations - It's really easy to accidentally roll-back in such vehicles because the electronic systems are slower to react and have no sense of timing.

With an MMT Aygo I find the hill start assist really useful even though I've been driving mostly manual cars for 47 years, especially when going between forward and reverse. Being able to just move the gear shift without having to worry about the handbrake too with the same hand is a real plus - remember with the MMT you have no control over the clutch.

My driving instructor always made a point of saying with any new car get all the clutch/accelerator/handbrake learning (and stalling!) over in the shortest time possible as you could then drive with confidence.

• Like 3

Ive had mine (auto) since the beginning of the year from new and still trying to get used to it. Bullying on the road seems to be a thing I noticed , annoyingly.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rich146 said:

Ive had mine (auto) since the beginning of the year from new and still trying to get used to it. Bullying on the road seems to be a thing I noticed , annoyingly.  

Indeed, and the smaller the car you are in the more bullying you get. Anyway,  for the op just relax and enjoy your new car. Don’t rush for anything, everything comes with the time.  👍🚗🛞

Hi Rhea. As others have noted, the Aygo clutch's 'bite' point is quite high, so you have to almost fully release the clutch before you get that jolt of momentum, which is why people (including myself) stall at times.

I remember being terrified of stalling on my way out of the dealership after I collected my new Aygo, but surprisingly, I didn't stall at all and got the hang of the clutch pretty quickly. As others have said, take it slow and be gentle with it and you will start getting used to the clutch. It's a really fun little car to drive around town!

With regards to the hill-start-assist feature, I agree with others who say you shouldn't rely on it because it can foster some bad habits. I enjoy it for use on smaller inclines, but on really steep inclines, I always turn to my handbrake, mostly out of habit.

Enjoy your new Aygo Rhea, try not too overthink the clutch and have fun with it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rich146 said:

They're only jealous cos those moosive cars can only dream of nipping thru that small gap or park in that tiny space so a few reasons why I love our 2 little rascals!

• Like 3

Yeah preach it! Lets see if those hausfrauenpanzers can tailgate us through a 2m width restriction! Ha! :naughty::laugh: 

I have noticed in general that SUVs seem to be driven by the worst, most inattentive and inconsiderate drivers - It's like all the road scum that used to drive BMWs moved to Audis, and have now moved to SUVs :laugh: 

I've actually had BMW and Audi drivers let me out or give me priority regularly!! :eek:  Madness!! :laugh: 

I must admit the Mk4 just looks incredibly angry tho', so I don't know if that has played some part in it... :unsure:

Sadly this hasn't helped so much with SUVs, presumably because they can't see it. :laugh: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rich146 said:

Bullying on the road seems to be a thing I noticed , annoyingly.  

And has been for many years, back in the last 1970's I drove a "real" Mini (not this current huge BMW monstrosity) and was subjected to lots of bullying especially on my commute to work. Strangely, when I drove the same route in a large motorhome the same cars that had bullied me in the Mini gave way to me...

Seems size DOES matter!

There is a way to sort that with small cars - You just need lots of brightly coloured boy-racer club stickers plastered across the rear and side windows, a ridiculously impractical bodykit that weighs more than the car and an exhaust big enough for cats to get lost in.

Maybe an unfeasible big subwoofer that makes the whole car shake.

For bonus points a big dent in your choice of the doors, bonnet or roof, and a small shrubbery stuck in the back bumper. (Fun note: My first Yaris came with one of these for free in the spare wheel well! Great job dealer PDI person!)

Basically make your car look like a mobile road hazard - That'll keep them away! :laugh: 

• Like 1