Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New car - worried about clutch? Help!

Ree123

My old Honda Civic, the limited addition Jordan, was only damaged once and that was by a older woman that reversed out from the parking space next to me wiping the front bumper of her little Peugeot across the rear bumper of my car.  I was sat in the car at the time and jumped out to see her leave the car park like a greyhound out of a trap.

Never noticed any bullying on the roads from bigger cars unless they were BMWs, I have nothing against BMW drivers but that has been my honest experience.  I drove a Honda CRV for the last six years or so but made an effort to be good by let other cars out form junctions whenever possible.

We have only had the Aygo for ten weeks but I can't say I have experienced any bullying.......yet. 

First, good luck and best wishes to Ree getting used to the new car, and mastering the clutch.😁

Good advice from the members here .

As regards bullying on the road, I think that road positioning has a good deal to do with it.

The other bikers and ex bikers here will have a good understanding of this,as in having to command your road positioning.

Same in a small car,signal clearly in good time, position your car or bike to make clear your intention and direction.

It is a rare (even bad driver) in a typical bad driver car who risks collision due to consequences that they will suffer, dash cams a good idea.

Having said that,a Haus Frau panzer did swerve from a turn left lane into a straight on lane on a local bypass roundabout nearly wiping out my nearside the other day.

I think this was inattention rather than bullying though, and may have been partly my fault focusing on the correct lanes rather than the reality of lane drift so common now.

Road bullying is so closely connected to road rage though, that I think it is always best to avoid confrontation if possible,a friendly wave goes a long way.

But please, I do not want new drivers to worry about any of this, these situations are so rare as to present any actual problem is not worth worrying about.

The people who avoid trying to bully a well battered Merc sprinter for instance, are not the sort who try and run an old Tsport off the road either in my experience.

Btw, I drive the little Yaris with the same road manners as the sprinter.

• Like 2

Hi all, reporting back…

safe to say I took the Aygo out for a little spin locally and the clutch is definitely high but no stalling yet so that’s a plus. The gears also feel a little more stiff than expected, is this normal? 

really happy with the car, so far so good! 

• Like 7

If it's a bit 'notchy', that's probably normal, but you shouldn't have to put any heavy force into getting it to go into a gear - just some initial force to overcome the gate, then it should just slide into gear nice and easy. If you have to apply force to push it all the way in, I'd bring it up with the dealer.

That said, now that I think about it, I've never driven a brand new manual so it may just be the gearbox wearing in?? Maybe see if it loosens up over the next few weeks?

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the car - May it give you many years of happy motoring! :biggrin: 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Ree123 said:

Very pleasing to hear.

Depending what you learnt to drive in, the gears may feel different if it was another make/model.

Glad you enjoying it so far, as said all cars are different you just get used to your cars characteristics and to be fair the Aygo is good but basic engineering so gear change not the best. I was the same I went from the instructor's brand new Nissan Micra (swiss watch) to a Vauxhall Chevette which was heavy, noisey and slow, but I loved her!

15 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

First, good luck and best wishes to Ree getting used to the new car, and mastering the clutch.😁

Good advice from the members here .

As regards bullying on the road, I think that road positioning has a good deal to do with it.

The other bikers and ex bikers here will have a good understanding of this,as in having to command your road positioning.

Same in a small car,signal clearly in good time, position your car or bike to make clear your intention and direction.

It is a rare (even bad driver) in a typical bad driver car who risks collision due to consequences that they will suffer, dash cams a good idea.

Having said that,a Haus Frau panzer did swerve from a turn left lane into a straight on lane on a local bypass roundabout nearly wiping out my nearside the other day.

I think this was inattention rather than bullying though, and may have been partly my fault focusing on the correct lanes rather than the reality of lane drift so common now.

Road bullying is so closely connected to road rage though, that I think it is always best to avoid confrontation if possible,a friendly wave goes a long way.

But please, I do not want new drivers to worry about any of this, these situations are so rare as to present any actual problem is not worth worrying about.

The people who avoid trying to bully a well battered Merc sprinter for instance, are not the sort who try and run an old Tsport off the road either in my experience.

Btw, I drive the little Yaris with the same road manners as the sprinter.

To put it into context I have never suffered what you could call bullying more inconsiderate drivers but even that is rare i have witnessed three cases of road rage but then I have been driving for 47 years so it is a pretty rare occourance.

15 hours ago, Ree123 said:

Hi all, reporting back…

safe to say I took the Aygo out for a little spin locally and the clutch is definitely high but no stalling yet so that’s a plus. The gears also feel a little more stiff than expected, is this normal? 

Really glad to hear you are happy with the car.  I moved from a Honda CRV to the Aygo and found the gear change was certainly not as fluid but there is a massive difference in cost.  Point is, in less than a week, I did not notice the difference as the Aygo gear change just became the new norm.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links