Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... Charger plug unlock issue or old age?

Nick72

So on a few occasions now including today I pressed unlock on the fob, car unlocks, then press to open the boot on the fob, boot opens. Then I go to unplug the charger cable from the car and it is still locked. So I then press unlock once more on the fob and now the port unlocks the charger cable. Happened several times. It isn't jamming per se. It just doesn't always unlock the first time with the rest of the car but it does on the second press to unlock.

Anyone else had this?

Anything I'm do I'm wrong?

Not directly the same issue as you but I’ve found that if I sometimes unlock the door and fiddle around the charger port unlock seems time out and re locks. So it was unlocked I could hear the click then relocks.

• Like 3

Are you remover the cable straight away, or after doing what you are doing in the boot? I've experienced this but only after leaving it for a short while and it re-locks, presumably with the doors locking too.

• Like 3

Exactly,  Nigel cable still left in and relocks.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Exactly,  Nigel cable still left in and relocks.

Our posts crossed!

2 hours ago, nlee said:

Are you remover the cable straight away, or after doing what you are doing in the boot? I've experienced this but only after leaving it for a short while and it re-locks, presumably with the doors locking too.

Within probably a minute. Wait for incredibly slow boot to open, pull cable connector out of wall box, then start rolling up, the pull cable out of car (by which time it is sometimes locked despite rest of car being unlocked). Only pressing unlock on the fob sorts it.

• Like 1

Maybe if there's a time out on the unlock of the port independent of the general car unlock then I just need to start at the car end of the cable rather than the opposite end.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried to see if other doors unlock with a single press? There is a setting (in the MID, I think) to swap between single press = unlock everything, or single = driver only & double = everything. 

• Like 1

Just done a couple of experiments for you Nick.

If I unlock the car and do nothing else, the charging port and doors relock after 30 sec.

If I unlock the car and open the boot, the charging port locks after 30 secs but not the doors.

Yes, looks like unplugging at the car end first might be the best option. My home charger is tethered so I'm used to unplugging that end first which is probably why I've not noticed it being an issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nlee said:

If I unlock the car and do nothing else, the charging port and doors relock after 30 sec.

If I unlock the car and open the boot, the charging port locks after 30 secs but not the doors.

The first is as specified in the owners manual ... :thumbsup:

The second is just plain nuts! ... but life is sometimes ... 😉

What happens if, immediately after unlocking, you open and close one of the doors? Does the charging port still re-lock?

Oh, the trials and tribulations of owning a PHEV ... 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike2222 said:

Have you ever tried to see if other doors unlock with a single press? There is a setting (in the MID, I think) to swap between single press = unlock everything, or single = driver only & double = everything. 

Yep, everything unlocks with a single press. Had set that up when I got it.

3 hours ago, nlee said:

Just done a couple of experiments for you Nick.

Yes, looks like unplugging at the car end first might be the best option. My home charger is tethered so I'm used to unplugging that end first which is probably why I've not noticed it being an issue.

Perfect. Cheers matey. That explains it.

Basically I'm too old and slow to unplug and roll up a 4.5m cable within 30 seconds. Best I start at the car end 😂 

46 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The first is as specified in the owners manual ... :thumbsup:

The second is just plain nuts! ... but life is sometimes ... 😉

What happens if, immediately after unlocking, you open and close one of the doors? Does the charging port still re-lock?

Oh, the trials and tribulations of owning a PHEV ... 🙂

I'm still trying to understand the rationale here that Toyota has used. Confused dot com. If the car is unlocked then let's face it, your charger cable getting unplugged or stolen is probably the least concern.

42 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I'm still trying to understand the rationale here that Toyota has used. Confused dot com. If the car is unlocked then let's face it, your charger cable getting unplugged or stolen is probably the least concern.

I've set my scheduled charging up at the wall charger rather than the car. When I plug in it doesn't lock the holster in the car because it needs to see power to trigger it.

When you unlock the car, say to get something out, it interrupts the charge so when you then lock the car, it wouldn't lock the holster back in place unless it happened automatically. It might do with the granny charger because that would still have power. That might be the logic? Only speculating and not worth trying to second guess the musings of a designer somewhere!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nlee said:

I've set my scheduled charging up at the wall charger rather than the car. When I plug in it doesn't lock the holster in the car because it needs to see power to trigger it.

When you unlock the car, say to get something out, it interrupts the charge so when you then lock the car, it wouldn't lock the holster back in place unless it happened automatically. It might do with the granny charger because that would still have power. That might be the logic? Only speculating and not worth trying to second guess the musings of a designer somewhere!

I've had a minor grievance about this also, suspecting that a pedant vandal might come along and unplug the car before the off peak rate 😂!

It's an unfortunate coincidence of the relative designs of the Rav & the hive charger, as the Rav will lock the plug on my other wall charger as soon as its connected (ohme home pro). Like you, I have deduced that the Rav requires at least a tiny current to activate the socket locking mechanism. The ohme tries to 'communicate' with the car as soon as it's plugged in, ostensibly in some attempt to gauge the current charge level. In the case of the Rav, it immediately defaults to 'delayed charging' for off peak, but whatever it does initially activates the lock.

The hive however, seems to be just a big, high power plug socket with a few extras like earth fault detection & load management, relying entirely on the app for any clever features. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mike2222 said:

I've had a minor grievance about this also, suspecting that a pedant vandal might come along and unplug the car before the off peak rate 😂!

It's an unfortunate coincidence of the relative designs of the Rav & the hive charger, as the Rav will lock the plug on my other wall charger as soon as its connected (ohme home pro). Like you, I have deduced that the Rav requires at least a tiny current to activate the socket locking mechanism. The ohme tries to 'communicate' with the car as soon as it's plugged in, ostensibly in some attempt to gauge the current charge level. In the case of the Rav, it immediately defaults to 'delayed charging' for off peak, but whatever it does initially activates the lock.

The hive however, seems to be just a big, high power plug socket with a few extras like earth fault detection & load management, relying entirely on the app for any clever features. 

I could easily get around it by controlling the schedule in the car (which I used to do with the granny charger). The wall charger (I don't have the Hive one) only behaves the same as if I'd had a time switch on the granny charger.

It was a balance for me, I decided to set the schedule on the wall charger as my car is always parked next to it during the "on" period so no chance of anyone pulling up and plugging in without me knowing. When I'm out in the car, outside the schedule, the charger is effectively off.

Having said that, the risk of someone stealing a few hours of electricity, or removing the cable from the car, is fairly low so probably not really worth worrying about either. I guess if I missed a charge, it wouldn't be the end of the world, whereas in a full BEV it might be more of an issue to come out in the morning and find you haven't got enough juice to get to work.

• Like 1