Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Torque for Corolla 2 Litre Hybrid

Scout117

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the real torque figures are for the corolla 2L ?

It says on the engine specs that the ICE has 190 Nm and the electric motor has 202 Nm so does this mean it has total of 392 Nm ?

Im not sure how the hybrid engine works exactly does anyone know ?

I found the full specs of the enginer here : https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/pdf/210127M-Corolla-Tech-Spec.pdf

Thanks

• Like 1

I thought this too, and had been scratching my head over it. But because it's a hybrid, it doesn't work out like that. It's something to do with the constant torque/useable. I'll try and find the article that I found useful

I have no straight answer, however there is an interesting thing that is happening when you floor the car sharply and if there is enough power in the Battery the car comes to life and accelerates faster. It’s kind of strange feeling that there is a lot more power hidden but usually the car does not want to use it easily unless been sharp and hard pushed. 

• Like 1

It's not that bad. The ICE alone has 152 hp and 180 nm, but with high revs, so you won't feel it as a strong engine. It's the electric motor that gives low end torque. 

We picked our 2 litre up on Thursday and we are very pleased with the torque and overall performance, I know I am not answering your question but we have just owned a 2.5 litre turbo impreza for the past 13 years which was a great torquey engine and although this is a totally different car the performance is very pleasing, the electric motor comes in far more than I expected even at higher speeds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

I have no straight answer, however there is an interesting thing that is happening when you floor the car sharply and if there is enough power in the battery the car comes to life and accelerates faster. It’s kind of strange feeling that there is a lot more power hidden but usually the car does not want to use it easily unless been sharp and hard pushed. 

Yeah was about to say this too. So confirming that 2.0 feels a bit more torquey when there’s a decent Battery level

• Like 1

I think we need an engineer in here but from my extremely limited understanding the reason there is no overall torque figure is because it is kinda irrelevant and is determined by the quirky transmission. 

• Like 1

I did see on the zperfs website a figure of 285nm for the combined system which seems about right. I don't know how reliable that source is though.

Edited by Hardy888
Typo

Then thing about this hybrid system is, that el. motor (MG2, motor generator 2, traction motor) actually has the rated power, but the buttery is the limiting factor. In general, the bigger the Battery, the more power it can provide, and the one in toyota hybrid is rather small. It can't provide full power to the MG2. So, for the electric motor MG2, to give all available power, petrol engine has to use some of its power to generate electricity. This is done by spinning MG1 and produced electricity is used to power MG2.

As you can see, it is a tradeoff, you can give MG2 full power, but by doing that, some of the power from the petrol engine is used to produce electricity. So you can never have full combined power on both on the road at the same time.

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I have no straight answer, however there is an interesting thing that is happening when you floor the car sharply and if there is enough power in the battery the car comes to life and accelerates faster. It’s kind of strange feeling that there is a lot more power hidden but usually the car does not want to use it easily unless been sharp and hard pushed. 

I also noticed that. I believe that it is because toyota is chasing maximum efficiency. If you are accelerating reasonably hard, but no full throttle, there is always some of the energy going from the engine to the Battery, (via MG1) so it can be used later. In this case, engine is at the peak efficiency, but because you don't require so much power, it is used to charge the batteries for later. But if you floor it, petrol engine is basically doing the same thing(same power output), but instead of charting the Battery, battery is being discharged and energy used to propel you forward.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful explanation clix. That makes a lot of sense.

• Thanks 1