Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adapting LED headlights for opposite side of road.

Dexter290

Am coming over to the UK in a few weeks with my LHD Yaris Cross and wondering if I need to do anything to the headlights. Can't see anything in the manual regarding this, dipped beam looks fairly flat right across the area of illumination, not sure about high beam. Car is fitted with LED lights all round with auto high beam (AHB) but not adaptive high beam (AHS).

Assuming they didn't do something weird and used totally different lamps, they should be okay as the LEDs in the Yaris are the projector type, and have a very flat beam pattern.

The downside of this is I can't see roads signs as well as in my previous LED-less Yarisusueesis, as you don't get that light spill to the side of the road, but the upside is it also won't blind other people when driving on the wrong side of the road as the cut-off for the light is flat from left to right.

Would be worth confirming this with your dealer just in case, but I think you'll be okay.

TBH even if they did nobody seems to give a flying one in this country anyway so you'd probably get away with it - Had a load of people just driving around with their full-beams on in broad daylight today. Flashed and waved at all of them, no response at all - completely oblivious!

2 hours ago, Dexter290 said:

Car is fitted with LED lights all round with auto high beam (AHB) but not adaptive high beam (AHS).

What's AHS ?

Maybe he means the matrix ones that 'draw' a shadow around cars it detects? (I kinda wish these were mandatory for lights above a certain level of brightness...)

24 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

What's AHS ?

Adaptive high beam system, as Cyker says it the one that dims certain bits of the high beam depending on what it sees ahead.

• Like 2

These are my “favourite one” 👌, you don’t need to do anything about it, they simply dazzle all other drivers no matter which side of the road you are driving in. 👍 Just disable the function if you have many flashing at you. 

• Haha 2