Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Help Buying an Avensis


Oisin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a 2014/2015 Avensis 2.0D4D (pre-facelift) to replace my 08 Auris.

Are there any common faults/problems that I should be on the look out for when purchasing?

Number one priority for me is a relatively trouble free car.

Thank you, Oisín

Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, Oisin said:

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a 2014/2015 Avensis 2.0D4D (pre-facelift) to replace my 08 Auris.

Are there any common faults/problems that I should be on the look out for when purchasing?

Number one priority for me is a relatively trouble free car.

Thank you, Oisín

i have a 2014 toyota avensis business edt 2.0 d4d these are the last of the year nwith the toyota 2.0 d4d engine so good engine its the 1ADFTV engine after 2014 they changed to the bmw engine soo tbh stick with the year 2014  and 2.0d4d engine 1ADFVT and try to get a better spec one .i got a friend hes a car dealer i picked one out at BCA Britiah car auction this is a place most car dealers get cars tbh and well i got mine about 1.5 years ago had only 38k on clock and was £8,000 delivered that was a deal tbh because of buddy of mine business edt all things going on it 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

i have a 2014 toyota avensis business edt 2.0 d4d these are the last of the year nwith the toyota 2.0 d4d engine so good engine its the 1ADFTV engine after 2014 they changed to the bmw engine soo tbh stick with the year 2014  and 2.0d4d engine 1ADFVT and try to get a better spec one .i got a friend hes a car dealer i picked one out at BCA Britiah car auction this is a place most car dealers get cars tbh and well i got mine about 1.5 years ago had only 38k on clock and was £8,000 delivered that was a deal tbh because of buddy of mine business edt all things going on it 

Thanks Joe.  Are the 2015 pre-facelift models also fitted with BMW engines?  I thought it was just the newer style ones that had the 1.6/2L BMW units.  Picture of a 2015 one I'm looking at below.

Screenshot_20220419-191652_DoneDeal.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Oisin said:

Thanks Joe.  Are the 2015 pre-facelift models also fitted with BMW engines?  I thought it was just the newer style ones that had the 1.6/2L BMW units.  Picture of a 2015 one I'm looking at below.

Screenshot_20220419-191652_DoneDeal.jpg

thats the shape i have looks like that but mine is a 2015 im thinking maybe there last year stock but say there 2015 as that kinda shape is a 2014 and well if you put in 2015  toyota avensis on google you will see that they are a different shape on the front and the interier has a complete new design . if you look up the specs on the engine and if its the 1ADFTV  engine you are all good . how many miles on it and what they looking its a bad time tbh buying cars also. if u fancy keeping the car you have maybe better idea but these kinda cars are hard to fing the 2014  r 2015 look same like this  with low miles and good specs leather seats , sat nav, dab radio, fogs , wheels  etc 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

thats the shape i have looks like that but mine is a 2015 im thinking maybe there last year stock but say there 2015 as that kinda shape is a 2014 and well if you put in 2015  toyota avensis on google you will see that they are a different shape on the front and the interier has a complete new design . if you look up the specs on the engine and if its the 1ADFTV  engine you are all good . how many miles on it and what they looking its a bad time tbh buying cars also. if u fancy keeping the car you have maybe better idea but these kinda cars are hard to fing the 2014  r 2015 look same like this  with low miles and good specs leather seats , sat nav, dab radio, fogs , wheels  etc 

I know its a bad time with the prices so high but my current car has issues so it needs to be replaced.  They are looking for €12k (£10k) for this one.  It has 150,000km.  Full service history.

Is there any things that I should be looking out for when buying, any common problems?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Oisin said:

I know its a bad time with the prices so high but my current car has issues so it needs to be replaced.  They are looking for €12k (£10k) for this one.  It has 150,000km.  Full service history.

Is there any things that I should be looking out for when buying, any common problems?

thats crazy big miles for the year i paid £8gs all in for mine well speced. tbh if ur not on a rush i would wait see what comes up . i looked at this site here for mine and a buddy of mine he is a dealer so he got it and that was £8gs with everything.

https://www.bca.co.uk/

 

12gs is 2 much for me could u not find a older one 2011 2.0d4d  cheaper i know supposed to be a good engine but i think the 09 and before 2.0 engine had bother with the liners going in the head all down to coolant eating through head r something toyota fixed that problem on the later 1ADFTV engines but they put in a stupid dpf in it so tbh im not sure about problems as i have not got any and well if u give the car a good driving should clean out the dpf. tbh im one of those guys that hardly cover many miles so im guessing might have bother with my dpf. but i  bought a better autel scanner that can put dpf into self regen so going to to that a couple times a year and hope for the best . its a great car . but no big shakes as tbh i didnt but it for looks and fanciness as it  kina boring to look and boring to drive compared to others . dont get me wrong its got the power and all there and well dont look wild bad its just some other brands like audi etc there better done up etc . i bought my toyota as because i wanted reliability and soild car and well this is it . i had planned to always get a avensis as its dependable. but the newer ones im not sure there are a few forums on here about oil consumption on those bmw engines. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Oisin said:

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a 2014/2015 Avensis 2.0D4D (pre-facelift) to replace my 08 Auris.

Are there any common faults/problems that I should be on the look out for when purchasing?

Number one priority for me is a relatively trouble free car.

Thank you, Oisín

Hi, I have bought a 2010 1.8TR Valvematic Petrol Avensis (estate); I have had turbo diesels for years before this, but decided to come away from them. Petrol cars a less troublesome (just scan this forum, probably 70% of any issues are diesels). No regrets, had it now about 6 months, gives me the same MPG as my previous TD, bit less torque on the go, but, other than that, haven't looked back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuel consumption isnt that great on a lot of the 2.0 d4d if you compare it with VAG diesels. 

T27 Toyota Avensis's are not particularly well protected underneath from rust.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ranoid2000 said:

Fuel consumption isnt that great on a lot of the 2.0 d4d if you compare it with VAG diesels. 

T27 Toyota Avensis's are not particularly well protected underneath from rust.

Vag groups not much better protected either bud .I had a vag group one .plus was one of the better ones with VW die hard 1.9tdi engine don't get me wrong great going car .but tbh alot stupid things kept going out like steering racks ,bushings,door regulators etc and the one I had was well looked after . Plus as all the cars I own they are all underseal when I get them but I had my old VW for 11 years .buying stupid things for it threw the years until I treated myself with a change .I bought the die hard well known 2.0 1adftv Toyota engine in a 2014 avensis business EDT and she is a way better car more comfortable and well as I heard don't have those problems the vag group dose that's the only reason why I bought Toyota for the name and reliability

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oisin, welcome to the TOC forum. Have you looked on Done Deal, there’s a wide selection of 2012-2014 Toyota Avensis on there at the moment, and you can buy a 2012 Avensis from a Toyota dealership with similar mileage for virtually half of what you will pay for a 2014 model. So good hunting, let us know what you decide on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Oisin, welcome to the TOC forum. Have you looked on Done Deal, there’s a wide selection of 2012-2014 Toyota Avensis on there at the moment, and you can buy a 2012 Avensis from a Toyota dealership with similar mileage for virtually half of what you will pay for a 2014 model. So good hunting, let us know what you decide on.

I'm trawling through DoneDeal nearly every day to find the right one.  I plan to change by mid June at the latest.  I really wanted to find out from this forum if there were any common problems that I should look for.  There does not seem to be any major flaws.  I will post here when I purchase.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Oisin said:

I'm trawling through DoneDeal nearly every day to find the right one.  I plan to change by mid June at the latest.  I really wanted to find out from this forum if there were any common problems that I should look for.  There does not seem to be any major flaws.  I will post here when I purchase.

i  looked threw done deal for a bout 2014 2013 toyota avensis with the 2.0d4d toyota aengine and tbh dont come across any with lowish miles on it and well there still up there in the price boss 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i  looked threw done deal for a bout 2014 2013 toyota avensis with the 2.0d4d toyota aengine and tbh dont come across any with lowish miles on it and well there still up there in the price boss 

I know yeah.  But I am in no rush so hopefully a good one comes up.  I suppose the Avensis is a popular car with people who do a lot of miles.  I wouldn't mind getting a lower mileage one because I will be doing about 40,000km a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Oisin said:

I know yeah.  But I am in no rush so hopefully a good one comes up.  I suppose the Avensis is a popular car with people who do a lot of miles.  I wouldn't mind getting a lower mileage one because I will be doing about 40,000km a year.

i seen on on that bca  (british car auction) a later year one i think before dpf it had nice low  miles on it but was i think a 2009 or 2010 one but still have the 2.0 d4d engine but not sure those gens had a problem with cylinder sleeves corrosion im not sure but think this problem was in the 09 year not sure when toyota fixed that problem on the later ones .there is a site you can go on read  all about the  1ADFTV  toyota 2.0 engines they say those things and when toyota fixed the problem. i think the new one up to 2014 but they put the dreaded dpf in them but i never came across anyone having a problem with the Toyota dpf on the toyota avensis but they maybe cover big miles to what tbh i dont :/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 2015 pre facelift older engine with 33k miles estate I'd take sensible money for. Highest spec I've ever seen on an avensis, uprated sound system, smart lights that turn with the bends, panoramic roof, full electric heated memory leather, 7 service stamps last one being in toyota last month which extends the warranty for a year and i asked them to do a couple of extra things such as fuel filter etc. Car is as new I hoover it virtually every journey I'm anal.

 

Im in county antrim though so you'd need to pay the vrt.

2x.jpeg

2x-3.jpeg

2x-2.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, irish boy said:

I have a 2015 pre facelift older engine with 33k miles estate I'd take sensible money for. Highest spec I've ever seen on an avensis, uprated sound system, smart lights that turn with the bends, panoramic roof, full electric heated memory leather, 7 service stamps last one being in toyota last month which extends the warranty for a year and i asked them to do a couple of extra things such as fuel filter etc. Car is as new I hoover it virtually every journey I'm anal.

 

Im in county antrim though so you'd need to pay the vrt.

2x.jpeg

2x-3.jpeg

2x-2.jpeg

Thanks I really appreciate the offer but the VRT + NOx would come in at around €6,500.

It's really not economical to import diesel cars to Ireland anymore.

Stupid government.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oisin said:

Thanks I really appreciate the offer but the VRT + NOx would come in at around €6,500.

It's really not economical to import diesel cars to Ireland anymore.

Stupid government.

dam thats car uz guys down there soon be riding push bikes the way that government is run with all those charges its crazy. a t27 up here a 2014 2015 is £30 a year road tax down your way  its 200 euros thats mad where do they get off ripping people off like that for everything

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, irish boy said:

I have a 2015 pre facelift older engine with 33k miles estate I'd take sensible money for. Highest spec I've ever seen on an avensis, uprated sound system, smart lights that turn with the bends, panoramic roof, full electric heated memory leather, 7 service stamps last one being in toyota last month which extends the warranty for a year and i asked them to do a couple of extra things such as fuel filter etc. Car is as new I hoover it virtually every journey I'm anal.

 

Im in county antrim though so you'd need to pay the vrt.

2x.jpeg

2x-3.jpeg

2x-2.jpeg

nice car i wonder why your leather seats are different than mine my car is the business edt saloon 2014 its got the Leather & Alcantara seats 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My 2007 but u want 2014/15 diesel, petrol only had one real problem, that was the starter motor 3 or 4 years ago right after I bought it and it cost less then £2000. Reconditioned starter just cost £60. Then there was a problem with the revs going up which was solved by cleaning a filter which has a complicated name. 

Also my 4 year old made some very large scratches on a back door, seriously large and deep scratches. That was a crazy touch up paint job. But looks OK now after using wet sanding followed by menzerna 400, this is the only recent problem I have had. 

 

But the main hint of this post is that you are less likely to have problems with an older petrol car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership