Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HELP: Buying Used Car (possible flood damage?)

KumraNZ

Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks in advanced for any help.

I'm looking at purchasing a Toyota Corolla Fielder Hybrid 2016. I test drove it today and looked under the bonnet and could see signs of rust to some things. I wanting some advice from others as to whether this is something to worry about.

Photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UJzimjkfn4Q1NvRy5rIWFAKBw4vqDyFn?usp=sharing

It wouldn't let me upload them here.

Thanks again

From what I could see looking at the pics on my phone that all looks normal. Flood damage would manifest more as mould under carpets etc I think but I'm not an expert. A bit of rust etc on bare metal should be expected after a car is a few years old.

Hopefully someone knows more.

Thank you for your reply. That does put my mind at ease a bit. I'm just worried about spending that much and it being a rusty lemon....

that's nothing to worry about the surface rust in the engine bay is where the engine bay has been steam cleaned/pressure washed  - note all the dressing (engine detailer on the plastics)

it's an 8 year old car, if it is a recent Japanese import cars are cleaned before export/import to stop any biological contamination, I know the AU and NZ are fairly strict on this

Don't think it's anything to worry about on a 6 year old car.

Location and mileage can have an effect on this.

• Like 1

Imo, the rust in engine bay is strange. Looks like washed with something that cause corrosion.

We had a Mazda MX-5 for 6 years and after this time I was surprised at the amount of surface rust underneath which I got a good look at during MOTs.

Japanese vehicles are by and large very poorly undersealed, and the steel used is inferior to others.

5 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

We had a Mazda MX-5 for 6 years and after this time I was surprised at the amount of surface rust underneath which I got a good look at during MOTs.

Japanese vehicles are by and large very poorly undersealed, and the steel used is inferior to others.

That was many years ago , perhaps it may return like a trend judging by some issues from latest models., hopefully not. 
This car looks alright. Again age and place can make a huge difference. Near the sea if you live or if you drive on motorways in winter and not taking special care to wash weekly including underneath in few years time the car will look like abandoned ship. If any doubt about the car been in a flood, carpets need to be pulled up and look inside for moisture, also under the side skirts there are plastic plugs, pull some of these and look for mud, water, or any traces of these. Boot area near the spare tyre, corners has vents if the car went through deep waters or been sat in water it might have signs of it exactly there. 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links