Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sending a route to the satnav from MyT online

Roger_N

Am I doing something wrong?

I send a route to my car which it puts on my phone, plug my iPhone in to the USB and it down loads the route and then asks do I want shortest/fast or eco, I don’t seem to have an option to just keep the route I sent, it selects one and changes the route I loaded? I’ve found I can turn up to 2 of the options off but it still alters the route.

This is on the Toyota satnav

I just want it to stick with the route I loaded.

Sorry, not an answer to your question as I don't use the Toyota Sat Nav, but do you need to plug the phone into the car to get it to transfer the route? I assumed it sent the route to the car via the data connection (inbuilt SIM) and you wouldn't even need to have the phone with you?

32 minutes ago, nlee said:

Sorry, not an answer to your question as I don't use the Toyota Sat Nav, but do you need to plug the phone into the car to get it to transfer the route? I assumed it sent the route to the car via the data connection (inbuilt SIM) and you wouldn't even need to have the phone with you?

I have to plug the phone in via the USB to get the route transferred and like you I expected it to be sent directly to the car.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Am I doing something wrong?

I send a route to my car which it puts on my phone, plug my IPhone in to the USB and it down loads the route and then asks do I want shortest/fast or eco, I don’t seem to have an option to just keep the route I sent, it selects one and changes the route I loaded? I’ve found I can turn up to 2 of the options off but it still alters the route.

This is on the Toyota satnav

I just want it to stick with the route I loaded.

Only in terms of expectation ... I think

I use My Toyota (the website service rather than the MyT app) to "Share to car" routes. The endpoint is then added to my favourite destinations so that I can select it when I am in the car and the car then calculates the route from where the car then is ... which is what (I think) you are observing ...

It isn't "send route" so much as "send destination" ...

Edit: the information is uploaded to the Toyota servers and is automatically retrieved by the car provided that it is connected via WiFi.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, philip42h said:

Only in terms of expectation ... I think

I use My Toyota (the website service rather than the MyT app) to "Share to car" routes. The endpoint is then added to my favourite destinations so that I can select it when I am in the car and the car then calculates the route from where the car then is ... which is what (I think) you are observing ...

It isn't "send route" so much as "send destination" ...

Edit: the information is uploaded to the Toyota servers and is automatically retrieved by the car provided that it is connected via WiFi.

I'm also using the online service when it ended up on my phone, I don't understand why.

I see what you are saying about the route but the route I sent was from home to the destination, when plugged my phone in I was at home so the route had no reason to change (i wanted to go a particular way as the driving is easier at night) and I had put waypoints in to achieve this.

The satnav just seems to ignore this and reverts to getting you to the destination by fast/short or eco, so what's the point of sending a route to the satnav when it just calculates in the route in this way?

The WiFi was connected via my home network.

57 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

so what's the point

I'm honestly not too sure at all ...

I set up a route this morning to a neighbouring town. When it calculated the route it took me all along the back roads - presumably to avoid some road works or other  hold ups on the main road. If I subsequently went to the car and requested the same destination I would expect it to recalculate the route and take me down the main roads as the quickest way there - which is what it does. Similarly, I'd hope it would suggest the back roads if they appeared quicker at the time I was travelling.

Since you have set-up a series of waypoints I would expect it to honour that - it isn't to know that you don't need to stop at each of the waypoints - and then simply recalculate the routing between the waypoints. It is a shame if it doesn't do that ...

Do your waypoints get recorded in your favourites? If they do, you could 'easily' re-establish your preferred route once you get into the car. Not ideal but at least that way you'd be able to go the way you want to.

35 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Do your waypoints get recorded in your favourites? If they do, you could 'easily' re-establish your preferred route once you get into the car. Not ideal but at least that way you'd be able to go the way you want to.

Unfortunately not it just shows the route, it just shows whatever you named it.

I've now had 4 Japanese cars a Honda, 2 Mazda's and the Rav4 none of the satnavs have been without the strange ways of routeing the car.

Just use Waze rather than the in built Sat Nav, set up on phone and once connected to the head unit just takes the route you have defined.

I’ve tested the send route to the car a few times but it’s a little lumpy and not intuitive.

I don't fully trust the in-car Satnav, its tried to take me on some strange routes; routes that are neither quicker or even shorter.

I only tend to use the car Satnav if I know where I'm going, but want enroute traffic info. If I'm not sure, of my route I'll use Google Maps, although I don't really like having to plug my phone into the car; I'd use Google Maps all the time if the car had wireless Android Auto.

I agree that some of the routes the in built system proposes are a little strange, neither fastest or shortest. I’ve tested it a few times when I first got the car on routes I knew we’ll and failed to figure when it had chosen the route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Just use Waze rather than the in built Sat Nav, set up on phone and once connected to the head unit just takes the route you have defined.

Erine

Have you tried setting the route on a PC, I find it to fiddly using the phone, from what I could see it should be able to send it to the phone but I'm not sure.

I think I did do that when I first got the car but frankly don’t find the built in Sat Nav anywhere good enough to use.  The Waze app not only works well for new routes but is great at telling accurately and immediately if there are problems on routes I use regularly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links