Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Cross Hybrid

TOYOTA Driver 2022

Hybrid car sound  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that hybrid cars should be made to sound more like a petrol engine for pedestrians and animals?

• Yes
    • No

This is my second Toyota and its a nice drive.

I do have a major concern though and wondered what other drivers were experiencing, with regards to how quiet it is in EV mode. I went for this model, as I had an original Rav4 and adored it and want to do my bit for air pollution.  The difference in my first Toyota,  was a petrol engine and no issues seeing it or hearing it. Fantastic car!

Driving the hybrid Pedestrians and animals do not know that you are there, it is far to quiet in my opinion! I feel that new owners of hybrids have to voice their findings, as I feel it is a real safety concern. Only had this car a few weeks and people and animals do not know I am there. I don't have it in EV mode at all, in residential areas. But when driving it, inside it sounds ok, but outside it is too quiet in my opinion. What are other drivers findings?

Edited by TOYOTA Driver 2022
Didn't read right

I believe it does make an artificial alerting sound when the petrol engine is not being used and this varies depending on speed. This may however be difficult to hear in a noisy environment. In which case, if someone suddenly jumps out in front of you, best hope the automatic detection systems do their job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The volume isn't the problem IMHO - The AVAS (Weird spaceship sound) the current hybrids make is far louder than the engine idle of my previous petrol car, and even in my old diesel car I could get right up to people without them noticing I was there, and that was dakkadakka AF at idle speeds.

TBH it's a pointless battle - You could have a full marching band blaring out god save the queen on your roof and half the time people still wouldn't notice. People produce better idiots than we can engineer for.

I tend to just beep people if they're e.g. walking in the middle of the road while starting at their phone and still haven't noticed me. Or wind down the window and give it the old "Oi mate would you mind moving out the way cheers"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cyker makes a valid point. Another thing to consider is those people who are visually impaired.

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

... even in my old diesel car I could get right up to people without them noticing I was there, and that was dakkadakka AF at idle speeds.

TBH it's a pointless battle.... . People produce better idiots than we can engineer for

At my age I am generally patient but with Cyker all the way, I could practically nudge people with my 220D Merc. 

The artificial noise generation only applies to more recent MY.  My MY19 Corolla is silent.  We went slowly into our lane as the road team were gritting "that's quiet" he said. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big_D said:

Cyker makes a valid point. Another thing to consider is those people who are visually impaired.

That hardly helps as they hear but have no idea where. 

But at least they would be aware and may stand some chance.

• Like 1

See:

The only advice i can give is to open the window and belch very loudly - that always gets attention. People always look when i do it......

• Haha 1

There's a relatively quiet lane leading to my house, there's no pavement for pedestrians, so people walk in the road all the time. I slow down until they hear me, and I am surprised that they do, but then the environment is essentially quiet.

I avoid using the horn on the car for any reason, although sometimes there's no other choice, as an ex big city dweller, I would scream at drivers using their horns to vent frustration. Thankfully, the horn on the Yaris is touch sensitive, you can give the slightest of toots with a gentle tap on the horn button.

Where I am, the car makes adequate noise to alert people to its approach.

• Like 1

It's just the general lack of observation of there surroundings from a lot of people these days.

FWIW - I've grabbed someone at a pedestrian crossing to stop them stepping out in front of a BMW X5 before, it was a marked Police vehicle with blue lights flashing & siren wailing, still the young person didn't notice it - even in broad daylight.

• Like 3

In a few year's time we will be too busy watching movies to notice that pedestrians haven't noticed our near-silent self-driving cars.

• Like 1

I like the natural whining noise that Toyota hybrids and electric cars are producing while in motion. This noise is I believe enough and should no need any extra noises. There drl fitted and they does help safety too. A modern petrol engine when car is at low speeds it’s almost silent too, even more silent than Prius because has no whining regenerative braking therefore no need those “safety sounds”, drivers are responsible to slow down and be extra careful, but obviously they are not in majority of the cases. There are much more important safety things like speed limiters that seems no one wants, ask yourself why? Because 90%+ of the drivers are speeding every day. There are so many things wrong with cars and roads in general these days. Acceleration and speed limits should be rethought by the transport ministers. Now we have cars that accelerate in less than 5 sec, some even 3 sec, mass produced cars that everyone can buy and drive, and the results will simply follow. 
There are 4 major safety issues and the noise it’s not within.

1. Too Fast and too many cars

2. Outdated rules and Highway Code 

3. Old and not up to the job infrastructure 

4. Poor driving culture 

• Like 2

Y'know this sounds like the perfect project for a final-year University student - Get a bunch of similar cars and hack the AVAS to produce different sounds, e.g.:

1. Stock AVAS
  2. Honda K-series VTEC engine
  3. Lawnmower/Narrowboat putt-putt engine
  4. Growling Dog
  5. Growling Lion
  6. Angry Goose
  7. Lightsabre
  8. Mikw burping
  9. Heavy metal riff/solo
  10. Rap/jazz-scat

...and see what's most effective :laugh: 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Y'know this sounds like the perfect project for a final-year University student - Get a bunch of similar cars and hack the AVAS to produce different sounds, e.g.:

1. Stock AVAS
  4. Growling Dog
  5. Growling Lion
  6. Angry Goose
  7. Lightsabre
  8. Mikw burping
  9. Heavy metal riff/solo
  10. Rap/jazz-scat

Most effective is the !Removed! that most ice sport cars does, and many been made only for the noise to represent a sport rally type cars but at the end they are easily spotted and hated, nothing else. 😅👍

I agree with @TonyHSD especially about the poor driving culture. Driving habits seem to have gotten worse since lockdown began. It's almost as if people have forgotten how to drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

1. Stock AVAS
  4. Growling Dog
  5. Growling Lion
  6. Angry Goose
  7. Lightsabre
  8. Mikw burping
  9. Heavy metal riff/solo
  10. Rap/jazz-scat

Tie fighter would be brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, TOYOTA Driver 2022 said:

This is my second Toyota and its a nice drive.

I do have a major concern though and wondered what other drivers were experiencing, with regards to how quiet it is in EV mode. I went for this model, as I had an original Rav4 and adored it and want to do my bit for air pollution.  The difference in my first Toyota,  was a petrol engine and no issues seeing it or hearing it. Fantastic car!

Driving the hybrid Pedestrians and animals do not know that you are there, it is far to quiet in my opinion! I feel that new owners of hybrids have to voice their findings, as I feel it is a real safety concern. Only had this car a few weeks and people and animals do not know I am there. I don't have it in EV mode at all, in residential areas. But when driving it, inside it sounds ok, but outside it is too quiet in my opinion. What are other drivers findings?

Your car should make a noise the volume and tone are restricted by regulations but whilst moving @ less than 16mph and in electric only mode your car should sound like this HERE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links