Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long Wait For Verso Caliper

SandyB827

Brief summary od events.

A year ago I bought a 67 Plate automatic Verso. A month ago, March 23rd I took it for a service at the local dealers. One of the extra services offered was a change of brake fluid. Knowing brake fluid is hygroscopic and deteriorates over time I accepted. While doing the change the technician discover some corrosion on one of the rear calipers. From what he told me I think the problem was galvanic corrision. The upshot was that the car needs a new caliper.

Initially this would take a couple of days. It soon became obvious that there was an issue in obtaining a a new part. Despite all the efforts of the dealers there is no sign of a new part.

Initially the dealers supplied a loan car, then after a week Toyota have supplied a hire car as mine is still in warranty. The initial date for the hire car ending was the end of this month 30th April.

I just wonder if anyone has any information on an issue with spares on a vehicle which is 4 years old, and if there are any vehicles that share calipers with a Verso.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, SandyB827 said:

Brief summary od events.

A year ago I bought a 67 Plate automatic Verso. A month ago, March 23rd I took it for a service at the local dealers. One of the extra services offered was a change of brake fluid. Knowing brake fluid is hygroscopic and deteriorates over time I accepted. While doing the change the technician discover some corrosion on one of the rear calipers. From what he told me I think the problem was galvanic corrision. The upshot was that the car needs a new caliper.

Initially this would take a couple of days. It soon became obvious that there was an issue in obtaining a a new part. Despite all the efforts of the dealers there is no sign of a new part.

Initially the dealers supplied a loan car, then after a week Toyota have supplied a hire car as mine is still in warranty. The initial date for the hire car ending was the end of this month 30th April.

I just wonder if anyone has any information on an issue with spares on a vehicle which is 4 years old, and if there are any vehicles that share calipers with a Verso.

Hi I will put my reg into online catalog at work and see aftermarket availability just out of my own interest but it’s not a car I sell many parts for , I know the pads are different to a similar year Auris/ Corolla so It’s a different Caliper . 

Yep there is aftermarket callipers available not many but they are out there 

Funnily enough I was passing the Toyota dealers yesterday so went it and asked about aftermarket parts. I was told that because it is a warranty job they HAD to use official Toyota parts.

The Enterprise Car Hire, where my Toyota funded loan car came from, place is close by so I checked with them that there was no end date for the loan. There is no problem there. While I was chatting the Enterprise lady said that I'm not unique and she has had a few long term hires in similar circumstances.

It has crossed my mind that it would be cheaper for Toyota to fit a quality, rather than a Hwang Ho Fail Fast, part and replace it with the official part when it arrives.

The car is now SORN as the VED expires tomorrow, so I might save a few quid if the part takes another month to get here

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post, but for those who are intreresting in getting their callipers refurbished for original standards,  there's a company called  Biggred. https://www.biggred.co.uk/

You need to send them your callipers and eithin 3-5 days you can have it back. Think each refurbishment is around £140.

Ive used them on my Honda Jazz and it was done so greatly. Ive had a major issue with sticky rear callipers on Honda Jazz but after market calipers didn't resolve the issue. Luckily i kept the original calipers so I got them refurbished. They are expensive but its all worth the hassle