Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whistling noise

alvinlee54

Hi everyone, 2013 Yaris 1,33 1NR-FE here with 60000 miles on odo. A rather silent, but perceptible whistling is heard from the engine bay  when driving at about 30-40 mph. I bought the car just a few months ago, so maybe this noise is a feature and natural? Gearbox oil is changed (Toyota LV 75W), tires are brand new.  Does somebody experienced this phenomenon?

Yeah similar thing in my Mk2 2008 Yaris. But it stopped after about 10 minutes.

20 hours ago, alvinlee54 said:

so maybe this noise is a feature and natural?

I can only reply that there's certainly nothing similar with my car. 2014, same engine but Multidrive. Auxilliary belt due a change (inspection at 6 years? or 60k miles)? Or simply wind whistling through somewhere/thing at certain speeds? Or could be any of the rotating components, eg. alternator etc..

Alternator and auxiliary belt were on my mind too, but the whistling comes  rather from the other side. It is like a bearing unlubricated, but no rattling or rumbling, just a thin, high frequency whistling. Once you notice it, you hear it  permanently  you know how is it...

4 hours ago, alvinlee54 said:

Alternator and auxiliary belt were on my mind too, but the whistling comes  rather from the other side. It is like a bearing unlubricated, but no rattling or rumbling, just a thin, high frequency whistling. Once you notice it, you hear it  permanently  you know how is it...

You can spray some water onto the belt while engine is running and if it’s stop whistling means that comes from the belt, it may require to re set tension if manual or new belt. You can use a long screwdriver and while engine is running touch different parts and position your ear to the screwdriver handle, if any unusual noises you will hear them like a doctor 👨‍⚕️. Be extra careful while working on the car. Safety first , then it’s the fun part 😉🔩

It's a good idea with the screwdriver, I'll try that. As mrpj1 suggested, I will also look after some hole or slit through which windblowing can make that sound while driving. (That plastic cover piece under the fender maybe?)
Thanks for responding all of you. I'm glad nobody said that's a typical and well known gearbox-fault of Yaris III...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links