Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First time new car buyer advise

Vela

Hi all, I'm picking up my first new car - Corolla Saloon in UK from the dealer in a couple of weeks. Would appreciate it if you can provide some guidance on what to check while picking up the new car from the dealer. Thank you.

First job will be the paperwork, ensure all the agreed figures are as they should be, such as a finance rate agreed etc. Make sure you take any documentation that you will need such as proof of address, driving licence etc. Do a walk around of the new car, ensure you are happy with the car, cleanliness, no damage or scratches you can see. They should talk through all the controls with you, take your time, if you are unsure about anything, ask for it to be explained to you. Most of all, go away and enjoy your new car, you will love it I'm sure, lovely cars to drive 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

First job will be the paperwork, ensure all the agreed figures are as they should be, such as a finance rate agreed etc. Make sure you take any documentation that you will need such as proof of address, driving licence etc. Do a walk around of the new car, ensure you are happy with the car, cleanliness, no damage or scratches you can see. They should talk through all the controls with you, take your time, if you are unsure about anything, ask for it to be explained to you. Most of all, go away and enjoy your new car, you will love it I'm sure, lovely cars to drive 

And photograph from all angles inc the roof-in case you need to raise any body or paintwork damage with them.

• Like 3

It will be shiny bright and dazzle you when at the dealers. The advice above is good; take your time.

But do get the salesman to go over the starting procedures twice.  Then all the steering wheel controls and especially the windscreen washers and wipers.  The last thing you will want is trying to operate them first time on the way home. 

Enjoy your car. 

• Like 3

Make sure its insured before you leave the forecourt.

Either the Toyota 3 day drive away cover OR contact your insurance company & transfer your current insurance over on to your new vehicle. 

• Like 3

As an add-on to Forkingabout's advice about insurance. If you choose their 3 day drive away cover, make sure that it's actually been activated. (Ask for a copy of the certificate).

I've seen a few places where they say they've activated it, but haven't

• Like 2

All above looks good advice. I would add check tyre pressures at the first opportunity you get. Last two cars I bought they were waaaay off to the point of being dangerous. Of course it should be correct when you collect it but corners get cut.

• Like 6

I always insist on a test drive even if it is brand new. I will not sign anything untill I have done this. Check you have a space saver wheel if you ordered one. Above all do not be rushed and take your time. 

• Like 2

Thanks a million all for your advises. I'm looking forward to the day. Cheers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vela said:

Thanks a million all for your advises. I'm looking forward to the day. Cheers.

And last but not least write down the advice given above on a check list of your own and tick them off with your sales person as you go and don’t be one bit embarrassed to do so. Having said that you will love your new Corolla 👏👏🚗.

• Like 5

Check what side the fuel cap is located because they're not self-filling hybrids and you may want to pop into a petrol station on the way back to fill it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Notfer said:

As an add-on to Forkingabout's advice about insurance. If you choose their 3 day drive away cover, make sure that it's actually been activated. (Ask for a copy of the certificate).

I've seen a few places where they say they've activated it, but haven't

Yes! This happened to me! I was driving around with no insurance for 2 days! :eek: 

Definitely make sure it's activated - They set it up with me and Toyota insurance in the dealership, but I didn't find out until later that the salesman has to then confirm/activate it for it to become live. And he hadn't...

TBH it's safer if you get your own insurance sorted out in advance, then you know it's all done, but it can be tricky if you don't have all the details of the car so the drive-away insurance can be useful there.

8 hours ago, Hardy888 said:

All above looks good advice. I would add check tyre pressures at the first opportunity you get. Last two cars I bought they were waaaay off to the point of being dangerous. Of course it should be correct when you collect it but corners get cut.

This too! When I got the car home all the tyres were at 60 PSI! :eek: (I thought that was why the ride was so hard, but turns out that was more to do with the 17" rims and low-profile tyres :laugh: )

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AJones said:

Check what side the fuel cap is located because they're not self-filling hybrids and you may want to pop into a petrol station on the way back to fill it up.

Fuel cap is located on passenger side of right hand drive Japanese cars.

There is also an indicator near the fuel gauge indicator on your dashboard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Then all the steering wheel controls and especially the windscreen washers and wipers.  The last thing you will want is trying to operate them first time on the way home. 

@Roy124 Is that a long range weather forecast?

@Vela Seriously though, once you know the date and approximate time of the collection, I would ring your own insurance and get the cover transferred. As has been said, you then know it is done. When I was picking my new car up a couple of weeks ago, I had arranged for the cover to be swapped over at 12 noon. I had the car keys in my hand by about 11.45, so I sat in the car on the forecourt until 12, there was no way I was taking the car on the road until 12!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have seen a new car owner collect his brand new car, drive 200 yards to fill up, and get hit by a an idiot. Luckily he had insured his car before he collected it.

Still, it's not something I want to have happen to my new car.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Fuel cap is located on passenger side of right hand drive Japanese cars.

There is also an indicator near the fuel gauge indicator on your dashboard.

I invariably drive to the pump on my right, pull well forward and fill on the left.  For some reason more cars have left side fillers and drivers don't use the long hoses. 😁

More importantly, the filler cap release is a black lever on the floor and the bottom of the driver's seat rail. 

15 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I invariably drive to the pump on my right, pull well forward and fill on the left.  For some reason more cars have left side fillers and drivers don't use the long hoses. 😁

More importantly, the filler cap release is a black lever on the floor and the bottom of the driver's seat rail. 

Generally speaking within the UK Japanese cars are filled from the passenger side and European cars are filled from the drivers side.

And I reckon that perhaps 90% of drivers did not know, or had forgotten,  that there was a "which side to fill up from" indicator within the dashboard fuel gauge.

• Like 2

John, never seen such an indicator but I invariably find more right side pumps free so I use them more. 

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

John, never seen such an indicator but I invariably find more right side pumps free so I use them more. 

Look for one of these Roy.

lexus1.html

• Like 1

Here's a quick image to confirm what @john p williams has already said

The small white arrow on the side of the fuel pump on your dash shows which side the fuel goes in.

006_2.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, john p williams said:

Generally speaking within the UK Japanese cars are filled from the passenger side and European cars are filled from the drivers side.

Not just cars - here's another Japanese designed Toyota product that fills from the left side here in the UK. 

PXL_20220423_044419727.jpg

• Like 1

Re car insurance when swopping cars.   I am with LV, as is the wife, it is a family policy that gives extra discount.  Recently we have changed both cars  on different days.   The day before exchanging mine I rang LV to say I was changing and was told on the day of exchange both cars involved in the transaction will be insured from 00.00 to 23.59. So on that day I had the whole 24 hours where both cars were insured. No hassle of timing the swop, no hassle hanging about counting down the minutes making sure you don’t drive off too early risking not being insured.  The same when 10 days later I rang LV to notify of the wife swooping cars.                    
We both been with LV for 8 years or so now, they give good service, even when one year I had a my fault claim, and the prices are VERY competitive for us two.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Re car insurance when swopping cars.   I am with LV, as is the wife, it is a family policy that gives extra discount.  Recently we have changed both cars  on different days.   The day before exchanging mine I rang LV to say I was changing and was told on the day of exchange both cars involved in the transaction will be insured from 00.00 to 23.59. So on that day I had the whole 24 hours where both cars were insured. No hassle of timing the swop, no hassle hanging about counting down the minutes making sure you don’t drive off too early risking not being insured.  The same when 10 days later I rang LV to notify of the wife swooping cars.                    
We both been with LV for 8 years or so now, they give good service, even when one year I had a my fault claim, and the prices are VERY competitive for us two.

I`m with LV too Joe and do endorse all you have said. I have done exactly what you did when changing mine and the wife`s cars.

• Like 2

Also check the number plates on the front & back are the same. My father in law picked up his new car years ago and the front and back were 1 digit different. They'd registered multiple cars at the same time and had put the wrong one on the back. Needless to say someone else had the wrong one on the front.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2