Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 Rav 4 Hybrid rear lights.

Pointerman.uk

Hi All, I have a 2016 Rav4 from new. After 3yrs water was entering the rear lights and leaving a green corrosion at the top of the lights. I reported this to Toyota and under warranty they were replaced. Now just under another 3yrs the same thing has happened again, after reporting this to Toyota again they have said it's a no.

I said "do you expect me to buy a new set of lights every 3yrs at a cost of £425 then?" After complaining they did come back with a reduction of £150. but this is still unexceptable. Is this a fault with this model or were they wrongly fitted the first and second time. Am I wrong to think a set of rear lights should last longer then 3yrs?

Any advice would be helpful and has anyone else had the same problem?

Kind regards

Agreed, it sounds like there is a systematic problem with the rear light installation/sealing I would try to escalate the issue to Toyota UK? If the first set of lights was under warranty the the same issue is reported for the replacements it only mens that in another three years the problem is going to resurface.

• Like 1

On the other hand ... we are talking about a RAV 4.4 and this is the only complaint I've seen about water getting into the rear light units. I never had any problem in that regard (or any other regard for that matter) in the seven years I had my 4.4.

The common factor in Robert's case could be Robert - queue dozens of other 4.4 owners with "me too" problem reports ... 😉

• Like 1

Have you had the car serviced by a Toyota dealer? If so is it not covered by the relax warranty?

• Like 1

As far as I can see, lighting isn't covered by the Relax warranty terms and conditions.

As the car is outside the new car warranty, then any contribution by Toyota towards repairs would be in the form of goodwill. If the car doesn't have a full Toyota service history, goodwill will probably be refused as goodwill works both ways (ie the owner shows goodwill by having the car serviced within the Toyota dealer network, and the manufacturer shows goodwill by helping with out of warranty repairs).

• Like 1

Car has had full Toyota service.

My complaint is it is less than 3yrs since they replaced the lights under warranty.

4 minutes ago, Pointerman.uk said:

Car has had full Toyota service.

My complaint is it is less than 3yrs since they replaced the lights under warranty.

But you're now outside the new car warranty, which would have ended some time last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced the same problem; it's not 'corrosion'; it's green algae. Water gets in round the edges of the light cluster and quite soon, in warm damp weather especially, algae starts to grow (as it can along the rubber window seals). It's a problem when the car lives outdoors, rather than in a garage. Unfortunately it's impossible to get to without removing the lamps. Not worth the upset. My 'new model' RAV is also starting to show slight signs of the issue but it's nowhere near as bad as the previous model.

I thought the car had a 10-year warranty If the yearly service was carried out by the dealer? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links