Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning chirps when cornering on cruise control, at LOW speeds

Marcusthehat

One particular corner, with the correct camber, but in a "slunk"(aka a hollow) that I pootle round at 45, chirp chirp chirp!, and even does it at 40, cos I checked.

Plus yesterday I observed the same aberrant? behavouir on a straight stretch of road , but with vertical curves, chirp chirp chirp. and only doing 45, then reset for 40.

Most odd, anyway is this warning more likely to be triggered by percieved vertical instability than centripetal forces?

P.S. With near 45 years accident free driving experience I feel well enough informed to know what is too fast when cornering, and I dont even drive fast.

Marcus

If the issue was Vehicle stability it would flash the Orange VSC warning along with the beeps, is the noise occurring every time you turn this corner regardless of speed?

If so it could be the Sat nav warning of a speed camera nearby?

Thanks Devon, 

It is rather hard to see exactly what is displayed, a couple of chirps and the visible display is gone, but it seems to be a box around the selected CC speed. Which I surmised was to tell the driver the set speed was too high. The chirps/warnings on the straight road were most perplexing, especially since there were zero untoward "G" forces on the suspension, and zero discernable steering input. I double checked the lane departure warning system was not inadvertently engaged(since similar warning noise), but it was not.

I will try that corner with the CC set at 35 out of curiosity. But it is a corner that I feel could be safely traversed at 55mph if not 60 mph(and I might need to explore those options, sans CC)

Cheers,

Marcus 

When I first got my RAV I got a few ‘chirps’ which turned out to be ‘camera’ warning and ‘collision avoidance’ the later was first encountered driving moderately around a corner but with a parked car on the verge, the car saw that as a vehicle on the road.

• Like 1

I only use cruise control on the motorway and even then very seldom, only if road conditions are suited.

Warning chirps are not easy to spot as they seem to last less than a second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marcus the warning is that you are exceeding the set CC or ACC speed.  This is an independent warning from exceeding the legal speed limit. 

Suppose you set 40 in the national 60 area, you crest a rise at 40 and as you descend your speed increases over 40.  It will then beep. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Marcus the warning is that you are exceeding the set CC or ACC speed.  This is an independent warning from exceeding the legal speed limit. 

Suppose you set 40 in the national 60 area, you crest a rise at 40 and as you descend your speed increases over 40.  It will then beep. 

Ah!

Could be since there is a downwith into this corner, BUT it does not be triggered by ANY other similar or possibly/probably steeper downwiths on the same journey.

But I will now be better informed as to what to watch for.

I do find these various very brief warning "chirps" rather distracting, and not helpful at all.

When I first got the car a few weeks ago, I would get an announcement of speed camera ahead, now I just get 2 beeps, I have inadvertently changed a setting? 

Possibly, I have made a, speed cam setting (on, I think) and get just the two beeps. 

Talking of cameras, on starting with a full map display I have a camera icon bottom right on the screen that allows me to add a camera.  When I start, it disappears. 

When driving I see lots of cameras on the map with camera icon and a plus sign. Some were possibly where Specs cams were.  They too disappear before I get there. 

Most odd. 

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Are you sure? Mine doesn't, it just tries to break my ribs by abruptly slowing down! :laugh: 

@marcusthehat - I don't suppose you have a Dashcam you can post the footage of this in action? I'm wondering what the chirps are too; We have different cars but similar Toyota safety systems but chirping is not a sound mine ever makes; Many many beeps, but no chirps, so I'm also very curious what it is!

Positive.  The display for instance shows :

Speed limit box with 60.

To the right a green box with CC set speed in white. This indicates your set speed is below the permitted maximum.  I think it also has an arrow indicating you may increase speed. 

Cresting a rise while under power the car will maintain the set speed but accelerate as the road descends.  The beeps sound and the green box contrast inverts, the previous white speed in black box becomes black numerals in a white box.  Without checking, I think it also flashes. 

As the speed excursion is probably no more than 2-3 mph there is no sudden retardation. 

I get that sort of retardation if I drop the set speed by more than 5 mph. 

• Like 1

Ahh sorry I read it as 60 to 40 :laugh: 

Yea at lower speeds the slowing is more reasonable... I'll have to keep an eye out next time as I don't think mine makes any noise if it's overspeed, just slows down, but I have tuned out so many of the beeps maybe I just didnt notice!!

Cyker, there is a setting that enables this feature.  It is off by default.  I discovered it when fiddling about with settings. 

If you always set CC below the stated limit the feature has little utility.  If, OTOH, you set the CC to a true speed of limit plus 5 you might want warning of really excessive speed. 

Ahh, good to know!

Apparently that is off in mine than! :laugh: 

On 4/23/2022 at 12:11 PM, Cyker said:

Are you sure? Mine doesn't, it just tries to break my ribs by abruptly slowing down! :laugh: 

@marcusthehat - I don't suppose you have a dashcam you can post the footage of this in action? I'm wondering what the chirps are too; We have different cars but similar Toyota safety systems but chirping is not a sound mine ever makes; Many many beeps, but no chirps, so I'm also very curious what it is!

Well it could be beeps I am calling chirps.

I was on the same road tonight, and at this same corner, with the CC set to 45, watching the digital speedo, it very briefly nudged 47 before dropping back to 45.

And bleeped/chirped.