Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris collected today

Starensis

29 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I found that it's not so much that you have to learn how to drive a Toyota Hybrid, as the whole "zenitude" of the car encourages a more relaxed driving style. (Not sure @Cyker is going to agree😉)

I like to feel it is happy and willing to do either zen relaxed driving or rabid hooning, depending on the mood of the driver :naughty: :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

The Yaris Cross hybrid battery has a fair bit more capacity than the Corolla which is good. 

Is that true?  The Corolla is wider so may have room for a larger hybrid Battery.  Does anyone know the capacities of the batteries for comparison?

I have to say, I’m quite disappointed with the exterior panel alignments on our new Yaris. It’s not just bonnet to bumper/fender, but also front bumper to fender gaps are badly tapered, Rear door gaps to rear 1/4 panel are also quite wide. 
I thought it may be me being pedantic due to my eye for panel alignments, however, I’ve come across 3 other Yarissss today in car parks and can honestly say, they were perfect.

Looks like I’ve been unlucky and received a “Friday Car”. Dealer has already stated there isn’t much they can do, so I’ve contacted Toyota Customer Relations. 

I’m very close to giving them the car back and asking them to loan us a car - until another one can be delivered. Will see what CR come back with.

In case anyone was wondering - Toyota ( all Manufacturers) have a “standards book” - which details allowed gaps and profiles in mm with +/- tolerances. Our’s is out is spec I believe.

I’m one very disappointed Toyota owner, although, I’ve owned 5 and not had these sort of issues to deal with.

I also need to add, this is in no way a reflection of dealer, but down to TMMF.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Starensis said:

I have to say, I’m quite disappointed with the exterior panel alignments on our new Yaris. It’s not just bonnet to bumper/fender, but also front bumper to fender gaps are badly tapered, Rear door gaps to rear 1/4 panel are also quite wide. 
I thought it may be me being pedantic due to my eye for panel alignments, however, I’ve come across 3 other Yarissss today in car parks and can honestly say, they were perfect.

Looks like I’ve been unlucky and received a “Friday Car”. Dealer has already stated there isn’t much they can do, so I’ve contacted Toyota Customer Relations. 

I’m very close to giving them the car back and asking them to loan us a car - until another one can be delivered. Will see what CR come back with.

In case anyone was wondering - Toyota ( all Manufacturers) have a “standards book” - which details allowed gaps and profiles in mm with +/- tolerances. Our’s is out is spec I believe.

I’m one very disappointed Toyota owner, although, I’ve owned 5 and not had these sort of issues to deal with.

I also need to add, this is in no way a reflection of dealer, but down to TMMF.

I am with you in that and I wish you luck whatever you decide to do with the car. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos about how these cars are made in Europe new factories and tbh the staff their look like students and volunteers, not people with experience at all. There is another member from abroad with red Yaris and it was very similar situation with his car, including side mirrors, doors, rear hatch and more details misaligned. 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I am with you in that and I wish you luck whatever you decide to do with the car. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos about how these cars are made in Europe new factories and tbh the staff their look like students and volunteers, not people with experience at all. There is another member from abroad with red Yaris and it was very similar situation with his car, including side mirrors, doors, rear hatch and more details misaligned. 

Thanks.

France have building cars for over 10 years! You’d have thought they would know what is acceptable and what isn’t. After all, Toyota are supposed to very strict on quality - at least they were when I worked at Burnaston.

Seems they are just churning them out to meet demand. TPS seems to have gone out the window. 😡

I won’t hold my breath waiting for some contact/action.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:24 AM, Starensis said:

Not sure if the picture is clear, but bonnet profile is not good. It’s proud to bumper and gap is tapered.

Looks like a visit to dealer to sort it out. Doesn’t look good.

868E8A7E-46FB-4C73-93D6-8C0D14ABCD2D.jpeg

I’ve noticed some questionable panel gaps on my wife’s, will try and upload some pics this week. Mainly the front wings and bumper. Part of the dash wasn’t seated correctly and I had to click it in. Also check the plastic wing nuts in the rear arch splash guards. They were only just started on the threads, I hand tightened every one!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OTS84 said:

I’ve noticed some questionable panel gaps on my wife’s, will try and upload some pics this week. Mainly the front wings and bumper. Part of the dash wasn’t seated correctly and I had to click it in. Also check the plastic wing nuts in the rear arch splash guards. They were only just started on the threads, I hand tightened every one!

I was around garden centres yesterday and saw 3 New Yaris on my travels. Checked all 3 and they were perfect!

Poor quality.
Arch liners - the plastic clips are only meant to push on, but you can turn them to tighten. Worth 1 minute of your time to give them a few turns.

1A02A1C2-5FDF-40F2-8986-46B6F37A299B.jpeg

CE7F71E7-F712-41EE-BD83-BC52843AA3AA.jpeg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Starensis said:

Poor quality.
Arch liners - the plastic clips are only meant to push on, but you can turn them to tighten. Worth 1 minute of your time to give them a few turns.

1A02A1C2-5FDF-40F2-8986-46B6F37A299B.jpeg

CE7F71E7-F712-41EE-BD83-BC52843AA3AA.jpeg

That for a rental car wouldn’t matter, but for a private owner who love his motors and been in the trade , manufacturing or anything connected to, it will be an eye sore every time he look at. If they can’t do anything, I will and if not possible I will most likely reject the car. Because todays times are difficult especially if you need a car, there are almost non available, traders just and all involved just do whatever they want and don’t care of quality at all. If you return this car, they will probably make extra £1000 selling it as used one. 

26 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That for a rental car wouldn’t matter, but for a private owner who love his motors and been in the trade , manufacturing or anything connected to, it will be an eye sore every time he look at. If they can’t do anything, I will and if not possible I will most likely reject the car. Because todays times are difficult especially if you need a car, there are almost non available, traders just and all involved just do whatever they want and don’t care of quality at all. If you return this car, they will probably make extra £1000 selling it as used one. 

I've spoken to Service Advisor at Dealer where I bought car from - they've seen it before apparently and know the fix. Booked in for next week.

In addition, I contacted a friend who is Service Manager across Toyota & Lexus in Birmingham - he's going to have a look at it tomorrow also.

Fingers crossed, I'll get it re-adjusted and looking as it should. If not, they can order me another car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starensis said:

I've spoken to Service Advisor at Dealer where I bought car from - they've seen it before apparently and know the fix. Booked in for next week.

In addition, I contacted a friend who is Service Manager across Toyota & Lexus in Birmingham - he's going to have a look at it tomorrow also.

Fingers crossed, I'll get it re-adjusted and looking as it should. If not, they can order me another car.

Hope it all goes well for you mate!

In relation to the whole receiving the new car process, and the growing fear for when my Wife and I eventually collect ours - what should we be looking for when we do the old visual inspection? As you are a seasoned professional with cars you knew what to look for above and beyond the obvious - myself who would just see a new car as "Shiny!" - could you give us some cheeky pointers or a checklist?

🙂

4 minutes ago, Janx1975 said:

Hope it all goes well for you mate!

In relation to the whole receiving the new car process, and the growing fear for when my Wife and I eventually collect ours - what should we be looking for when we do the old visual inspection? As you are a seasoned professional with cars you knew what to look for above and beyond the obvious - myself who would just see a new car as "Shiny!" - could you give us some cheeky pointers or a checklist?

🙂

I think each person is different wrt what they class as acceptable. MY main requirements are:-

Number Plates aligned - Straight.

Look down side of car to confirm no dings/dents.

Look at panel profiles. Doors, tailgate & Bonnet to adjacent panels to ensure flushness and even gap along length.

Owners & Service Manual in Glovebox.

Locking wheel nut key present and fits wheels.

x2 key fobs.

Spare wheel present.

Location of jack & Tool kit.

Odo Mileage - to confirm it's not excessive ( up to 10 miles is OK ).

A/C works.

Under bonnet - quick visual to ensure nothing untoward.

Check Engine Oil level, then take it for a 5 mile drive before I leave dealer ( Handshake ).

The above are what suit myself and satisfy the handover. The Bonnet issue I missed; car was parked inside Showroom with large glass door closed in front, so wasn't able to check that area. Intentional?? I wonder.

Anyway, good luck with yours. Hope the above helps a little. 👍

• Like 1

All good advice given.
With latest trend new cars to be delivered like Amazon order just slower best is to do similar to rental cars - thorough checks bodywork, interior, under bonnet, wheels, tyres, and accessories if all in order and not any damage presented.
Then oil and all other fluids double check, tyre pressure and if not cleaned properly especially the windows for beginning give them a good wipe inside out and you are ready to go.  
Make sure while excited before your first drive to familiarise yourself with the car, controls, buttons and how it works if it’s new to you, for example if it’s your first hybrid. You can read the manual if available, do your infotainment screen set ups, ac and heating set, mirrors and seats etc. If you are new to these cars best to spend some time on the relevant forums and read some posts that you think they are of any interest to you, more you know better you can look for defects or issues and to differentiate if normal for the car or been a faulty. If for any reason you don’t feel something is right , take a picture share with us and we can suggest or give an idea., I have learned a lot from this forum and every second here is a well spent plus some fun time as well. 😁👍

• Like 2

Well, bit more news today.

I took car to a local dealer who I know well - they’ve had a look and deemed any adjustment to be pointless in resolving the alignment of bonnet. There just isn’t enough available.

I also emailed CR and told them to start the rejection of car process. With that, I’ve now received a call from Service manager of where car was purchased. He seems confident it can be adjusted out looking at photos sent ( I don’t share his confidence tbh ), but has also been made aware by CR I want the reject process started.

Car goes in on Tuesday next week for them to attempt to repair. Will see where this goes.

I’ve also checked another six 22 plates today ( 10 in total over 2 days ) - all are perfect ref bonnet to bumper.

I’m one 😡 customer atm!

• Sad 2

What I don't understand is how it managed to get signed off through QA and PDI and all the inspections that are supposed to happen and nobody picked up on that - They really need to make this right.

• Like 3

The dealer is not innocent in this and should easily have picked this up before handing the new car over to you.

Or maybe they did notice it and as you said have tried to hide it 😕

Either way shocking quality control and shocking customer service.

• Like 2

This is what I’ve said - having worked for Toyota Manufacturing, it amazes me how this would have left plant and passed QA in such an obviously out of spec condition. Could it have happened during transit?

The car went to “In build” status, then sat there for 3 weeks before it changed to “left factory”. Now, as I know it, build from Body construction to Off line/Despatch, is normally 3-4 shifts ( providing it has no defects to rectify ). This was a little suspicious to me.

Regardless, it arrived at dealer on 14/4, but couldn’t collect it due to holiday until 23/4. They issued the PDI check sheet to me on my request - all items were ticked, although some features were not even present. I also had to remove 3/4 exterior stickers which were part of the PDI to remove!. Did something happen during that week - maybe?

I’m leaving the car with them next week to sort it out. If they can’t, I’ve requested a replacement, although, they were dead against this and insisted they could resolve it.

I’ve also recently noticed front bumper colour match is not perfect. 🤔

I will reserve my judgement about Dealer until after a decision has been made on the issue/car.

• Like 2

how long did you wait for your car once it had left the factory, Tia

On 4/23/2022 at 2:44 PM, Starensis said:

Collected our new Yaris today. Dealer had it in showroom under a red cover and did a reveal!

My wife drove it back home and stated how smooth and quiet it was. Got back home and had a play myself. Nice.

TPMS - wasn’t showing any pressures on display. Somehow, I muddled through set up and now it’s showing. Not a very clear set up process.

MyT - Connected to app and now showing loads of info. Is the lock symbol a confirmation you’ve locked car? Unlocked car but still showed as locked. Also assume, no multimedia serial number is required?

Lane change flashes - no option to change from 3 to 5? Nothing in Carista atm.

e-call - assume this is pre-programmed so nothing needs setting up?

Door Locking - no speed sensitive locking option?

Going to fit Dashcam tomorrow - assume glovebox just pulls out and scuff/kick trims are just clipped in? Fuse box also located under/behind glovebox?

Had a lengthy scroll through most menus and set them up as the wife would require ( I think ). I’m sure there will be a few alterations along the way.

I’ll post an update on my/our thoughts in a few weeks. 👍

12 hours ago, Starensis said:

This is what I’ve said - having worked for Toyota Manufacturing, it amazes me how this would have left plant and passed QA in such an obviously out of spec condition. Could it have happened during transit?

The car went to “In build” status, then sat there for 3 weeks before it changed to “left factory”. Now, as I know it, build from Body construction to Off line/Despatch, is normally 3-4 shifts ( providing it has no defects to rectify ). This was a little suspicious to me.

Regardless, it arrived at dealer on 14/4, but couldn’t collect it due to holiday until 23/4. They issued the PDI check sheet to me on my request - all items were ticked, although some features were not even present. I also had to remove 3/4 exterior stickers which were part of the PDI to remove!. Did something happen during that week - maybe?

I’m leaving the car with them next week to sort it out. If they can’t, I’ve requested a replacement, although, they were dead against this and insisted they could resolve it.

I’ve also recently noticed front bumper colour match is not perfect. 🤔

I will reserve my judgement about Dealer until after a decision has been made on the issue/car.

Hopefully you'll get a satisfactory result Adam whatever the solution. 🤞

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jjumpb said:

how long did you wait for your car once it had left the factory, Tia

It left factory on 31/3, It arrived at dealer on 14/4.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, Trewithy said:

Is that true?  The Corolla is wider so may have room for a larger hybrid battery.  Does anyone know the capacities of the batteries for comparison?

I thought someone else might answer but I checked.  Not as simple as I thought. 

The 1.8 Corolla hatch is 3.6 AHr cf the YC at 4.3, so I was sort of correct. 

However the Saloon is 7.2 and the s

2.0 is 6.5

2 hours ago, Starensis said:

We must have been "Lucky" when we bought our Yaris Design in 2021.  The dealer had quite a few in stock which they must have been brought in as a job lot. I could see their warehouse as it was videoed  when they fitted the Dashcam. We only had to wait about a week while they prepped it. 

3 hours ago, Starensis said:

Thanks bud, more waiting then 😒

• Like 1

It'll be worth it!!! :biggrin: 

I am supposed to be collecting mine tomorrow.

I am 100% convinced with the delays that the dealer imposed that the car is going to show signs of damage repair, and I’m certainly going to be all over the panel gaps.

Usually the dealer wants the full deposit before pick up, this time strangely they have not asked for it, so that makes me even more suspect.

I will be turning up early so to go over the whole car before even thinking about paperwork or money. 
I have that sinking feeling tomorrow will go badly.

My new car last year (an EV) resulted in two rejections and nine months of fighting the dealer and manufacturer (not Toyota), before finally getting a replacement that wasn’t faulty, so you can see why perhaps I don’t feel overwhelmed or Confident in this new Yaris being any good after how the dealer has behaved. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links