Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris collected today

Starensis

13 minutes ago, Pumatron said:

I am supposed to be collecting mine tomorrow.

I am 100% convinced with the delays that the dealer imposed that the car is going to show signs of damage repair, and I’m certainly going to be all over the panel gaps.

Usually the dealer wants the full deposit before pick up, this time strangely they have not asked for it, so that makes me even more suspect.

I will be turning up early so to go over the whole car before even thinking about paperwork or money. 
I have that sinking feeling tomorrow will go badly.

My new car last year (an EV) resulted in two rejections and nine months of fighting the dealer and manufacturer (not Toyota), before finally getting a replacement that wasn’t faulty, so you can see why perhaps I don’t feel overwhelmed or Confident in this new Yaris being any good after how the dealer has behaved. 

You might be pleasantly surprised.

As I’ve stated previously, I’ve checked 10+ Yaris over the last few days and all were very good for profiles and gaps. The experience I’ve had is not the norm at Toyota.

I agree you need to look at the car before you sign or pay anything. Take your time and don’t be afraid to point out any issues and have them fixed there and then.

I’m sure you will be fine. 🤞

• Like 2

Sorry to hear your sad tale, dealers do try it on, ok ours was a used car, but we had paint issues and parts missing/broken on a car, they just hope you don't spot these things. I did spot them and they sorted them without any hassle, but just takes the shine off what should be a happy experience. This was pre-pandemic, so bet with current new car production issues these issue tolerances are being stretched even further. Fair play for giving them the chance to repair it. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 6:45 PM, Puglet said:

Sorry to hear your sad tale, dealers do try it on, ok ours was a used car, but we had paint issues and parts missing/broken on a car, they just hope you don't spot these things. I did spot them and they sorted them without any hassle, but just takes the shine off what should be a happy experience. This was pre-pandemic, so bet with current new car production issues these issue tolerances are being stretched even further. Fair play for giving them the chance to repair it. 

Glad you got it sorted. Nothing worse than taking a car home and finding issues with it.

I'm giving them as much time as they need to sort it out. They're giving us a loan car whilst they have it. They have one chance - that's it! If it's still not to my liking, they can replace the car.

Well one month in to the wife's Yaris Gr Sport and she loves it quiet comfy and smooth.

Ok we knew it wasn't going to be anything like her previous 2.0l Tdi Scirocco but she has said she prefers to drive the Yaris mostly due to slightly elevated seating position and no blind spots unlike the Scirocco.

So a happy wife = happy life lol 😊😊

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, Starensis said:

Glad you got it sorted. Nothung worse than taking a car home and finding issues with it.

I'm giving them as much time as they need to sort it out. They're giving us a loan car whilst they have it. They have one chance - that's it! If it's still not to my liking, they can replace the car.

What loan car did you get?! Didn't seriously consider a new shape Yaris but after posts on here about internal paint finish and Carwow's test car having thrown up errors and wouldn't start, realised it's not the car it once was. All manufacturers claim can't reject when it's law that you can. I considered a 4 year old 1.33 cvt Icon but couldn't live with myself over the price so bought an 8 year old 1.33 TR cvt instead. Only issue a warped alloy. Otherwise faultless. Love it.

I’ve taken car in today for them to assess and either make good or they will exchange for another new car.

Whilst in the showroom, I had a look at the Yaris they had in there - bonnet profile wasn’t  good on that either! It was better than mine, but sat high on passenger side, but no tapered gap. 

They have advised it will take around a week for decision to be made; one way or another. I also told them not to loan me an Aygo. I got an Aygo, but with caveat they would replace when they can find another loan Yaris or above.

So, it’s a waiting game for now…….

On 4/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, Stopeter44 said:

As per @Roy124, plus :

MyT Lock symbol as you saw it, there's a time lag between the lock/unlock status showing on MyT, and also you getting a warning that you left the car open. Something like 5 minutes IIRC.

The Lane Tracing Assist beeps can be really annoying, and you can't turn off the system permanently, so, if you haven't done it already, best set the warning to steering wheel vibration, IMO.

What is the locked car symbol, ours doesn't show one I recognise? Is it because our car doesn't have nav?

Not sure how these will show, but while not as bad as yours, I’m not over enamoured with the panel fit on our Yaris. We bought from a garage 140 miles away so not worth pursuing

D594C53C-27F9-42B6-8373-DF2FD3686851.jpeg

CE777B00-7C63-49AE-BB64-6D8820CE4DF2.jpeg

CD48CB25-FCC0-4916-9459-40ECB6F8A78E.jpeg

33F1B922-4428-4AC9-A936-9BC7854FAFEA.jpeg

9D5D3AC2-EE60-451D-AB74-240A6A04BBB5.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Kental said:

Not sure how these will show, but while not as bad as yours, I’m not over enamoured with the panel fit on our Yaris. We bought from a garage 140 miles away so not worth pursuing

D594C53C-27F9-42B6-8373-DF2FD3686851.jpeg

CE777B00-7C63-49AE-BB64-6D8820CE4DF2.jpeg

CD48CB25-FCC0-4916-9459-40ECB6F8A78E.jpeg

33F1B922-4428-4AC9-A936-9BC7854FAFEA.jpeg

9D5D3AC2-EE60-451D-AB74-240A6A04BBB5.jpeg

They look quite obvious issues to me.

My main issue is with Bonnet, however, I’ve also shown them our bumper and door profiles - of which I’m not happy with. It’s a Toyota for gods sake. Quality is only second to safety in the company! Looks like quality has taken a downward turn out of the French plant.

The more who complain about fit and Finish, the more likely will be they’re obliged to do something. 

1 hour ago, Kental said:

What is the locked car symbol, ours doesn't show one I recognise? Is it because our car doesn't have nav?

It’s in the MyT app on first page. If you click on it, it will show you plan view of car with. Green tick - if car is locked. If not, it will show exclamations on doors which are unlocked.

76B94BBD-04C1-4A0B-949B-04846EEFA087.jpeg

TBH panel gaps and slight misalignments have always been a feature of the Yaris since they started making them in France; The Mk2 was particularly bad, esp. compared to my jappy-made Mk1, but believe it or not they have gotten better since then.

If I look really carefully I can see some of the panels are slightly not lining up exactly straight, but it's not enough that I care as for me Toyota aren't known for fit and finish - That's always been the forte of the germans. All I want from the car is for it to have bullet-proof reliability. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Your bonnet is taking the mick a bit tho' as that's far beyond a 'slight' misalignment and should never have passed inspection on a brand new car! Deffo should be fixed...!

• Like 2

Agree with cyker but when so obvious and by too large gaps then it’s a bit off putting,  come on,  it’s a new car. Here a picture from Facebook some man been working for the dealer long time and now he is retiring and has his new Yaris but look at the gaps, I can see not equal.🫣👍

6C8B5047-4281-4AC9-9820-47214978EF76.jpeg

• Like 1

What's weird is the earlier ones don't seem to have this problem so what the heck's happened? Has the jig worn out in the factory and nobody noticed or something? :laugh: 

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

TBH panel gaps and slight misalignments have always been a feature of the Yaris since they started making them in France; The Mk2 was particularly bad, esp. compared to my jappy-made Mk1, but believe it or not they have gotten better since then.

If I look really carefully I can see some of the panels are slightly not lining up exactly straight, but it's not enough that I care as for me Toyota aren't known for fit and finish - That's always been the forte of the germans. All I want from the car is for it to have bullet-proof reliability. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Your bonnet is taking the mick a bit tho' as that's far beyond a 'slight' misalignment and should never have passed inspection on a brand new car! Deffo should be fixed...!

I haven’t seen such poor profiling since I last looked at a Lada! Toyota need to up their game imo in this area. After all, they are £20k cars.

• Like 2

I finally picked mine up after a faff of getting a time slot that worked.

I inspected the car before paperwork and money and I was happy enough with panel gaps etc, albeit not absolutely perfect.

A good clean the following day needed the claybar and plenty of polish and wax for hours to remove rust debris from the front bumper (from the train journey into the country I expect). I also cleaned and waxed the rest of the car, to bring it up to what I would consider clean, not dealer clean.

I have found three small areas of dirt in the paint, but I don’t want them touched as I don’t think they warrant disturbing factory paint over (yet). 

The last few cars I have had, have all had some sort of dirt in the paint, but you have to weigh up if a repaint would be an improvement or not. All my cases, not, so left alone.

I have one tyre a year older than the rest, (seems new as other three and factory fresh and nothing to suggest a repair at import centre, or wheel tyre have been disturbed?). It’s matching in make and design etc, so can’t really push for much on that, just a query.

So far, seems okay, but I’m a nervous buyer that trusts no one or anything but Once a few more miles are on the clock I might lighten up a little.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pumatron said:

I finally picked mine up after a faff of getting a time slot that worked.

I inspected the car before paperwork and money and I was happy enough with panel gaps etc, albeit not absolutely perfect.

A good clean the following day needed the claybar and plenty of polish and wax for hours to remove rust debris from the front bumper (from the train journey into the country I expect). I also cleaned and waxed the rest of the car, to bring it up to what I would consider clean, not dealer clean.

I have found three small areas of dirt in the paint, but I don’t want them touched as I don’t think they warrant disturbing factory paint over (yet). 

The last few cars I have had, have all had some sort of dirt in the paint, but you have to weigh up if a repaint would be an improvement or not. All my cases, not, so left alone.

I have one tyre a year older than the rest, (seems new as other three and factory fresh and nothing to suggest a repair at import centre, or wheel tyre have been disturbed?). It’s matching in make and design etc, so can’t really push for much on that, just a query.

So far, seems okay, but I’m a nervous buyer that trusts no one or anything but Once a few more miles are on the clock I might lighten up a little.

You will always see some paint blemishes. Paint shops are not completely airtight ( although they do try hard to reduce dust particles), so the odd nib here and there will be in paint and classed as passable.

I really do think Toyota need to have a good look at what’s coming out of France. Operators are either not bothered or volume means standards have been loosened. At the end of the day, all Manufacturers want a meaty profit and see Warranty claims as a price worth paying - unfortunately.

I’ve worked for Toyota and Jaguar in various roles - including quality. Jaguar we’re anal about fit and finish to extent every gap was recorded. I hate poor profiles - part to part design should ensure good fit and finish, plus where parts don’t allow, some level of adjustment built in. Most now though are driving towards no adjust builds. 

I'd really like to see a comparison of a Czech one and a French one to compare the build quality... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'd really like to see a comparison of a Czech one and a French one to compare the build quality... 

French build Renault, Peugeot and Citroen…….says it all. They’ve never been the best quality cars.

29 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'd say the quality control is equivalent. My CZ Yaris shows similar imperfections, to those shown here for the FR built Yaris.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stopeter44 said:

I'd say the quality control is equivalent. My CZ Yaris shows similar imperfections, to those shown here for the FR built Yaris.

Think most of the issues are down to part to part design, not so much build. However, Build plant should be working to quality standards and highlighting issues. Seems issues are known but don’t have time to fix design due to demand.

These cars go through 2/3 years of design and process reviews. 100+ prototypes are built to check fit and finish, plus functions and drive. All I can think is Toyota have dropped the ball in  panel alignment areas and believe it’s not too important. Wrong in my case.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Starensis said:

French build Renault, Peugeot and Citroen…….says it all. They’ve never been the best quality cars.

Tell me about it, I worked on Renault’s for 13 years, still have the scars to prove it and the nice nurse’s are just slowly reducing my medication now. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seven years ago we bought a brand new Zoe (again from Dorset) I found poor paint on the driver’s door. Four days old took it to the dealer near my work in Essex and using a paint measurer found it was 3-4 times thicker than the rest of the car. Assumption it was damaged by transport agents and not declared.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Starensis said:

They look quite obvious issues to me.

My main issue is with Bonnet, however, I’ve also shown them our bumper and door profiles - of which I’m not happy with. It’s a Toyota for gods sake. Quality is only second to safety in the company! Looks like quality has taken a downward turn out of the French plant.

The more who complain about fit and Finish, the more likely will be they’re obliged to do something. 

Of all the cars we have had over the last 20 years (22 cars) the only two I felt were almost perfect is my current Skoda Octavia & 9 years ago a Seat Mii. Budget models from same parent company.

4 Renaults, 3 Vauxhalls, 7 Fords, 3 Toyotas, 2 Peugeots & 1 Honda are / were noticeably worse. The Yaris is well in the top half of the others so unfortunately within tolerances. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links