Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Under Door Paint Finish

Deano68

2 hours ago, Deano68 said:

I think we all know the weight thing is a red Herring

In car design and manufacturing, cost saving and weight saving often go hand in hand. 15 years ago Mazda were cutting weight in new designs by shaving 0.89kg here, 0.69 there, etc, and the same applies even more so today across manufacturers.

Weight affects manufacturing costs, fuel consumption and emissions, and within Europe with the fleet average targets  manufacturers have to meet, reducing weight can directly affect car manufacturers with the possible imposition of fines if their targets are not met.

Aside from the above, in the last couple of years Toyota have introduced a world first high efficiency paint spray head which achieves 95% coating efficiency (compared to 60-70% coating efficiency previously). So they are already cutting costs as they introduce the new spray heads into manufacturing plants.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-electrostatic-spray-head/

• Like 1

I've always driven Japanese cars since 1975 and the paintwork has always been inferior to those cars made in the EU. the Japanese must have a thing about paintwork and rust and that's always been the case. It's never bothered me too much, but would be nice as to why this practice continues today.

The cars made in Japan for the Japanese market don't suffer with this, so why export this nonsense to the EU? 

They should learn how to paint a car properly as on our estate I'm finding only the Japanese cars have stone chips on the bodywork on the cars under 3 years old. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In car design and manufacturing, cost saving and weight saving often go hand in hand. 15 years ago Mazda were cutting weight in new designs by shaving 0.89kg here, 0.69 there, etc, and the same applies even more so today across manufacturers.

Weight affects manufacturing costs, fuel consumption and emissions, and within Europe with the fleet average targets  manufacturers have to meet, reducing weight can directly affect car manufacturers with the possible imposition of fines if their targets are not met.

Aside from the above, in the last couple of years Toyota have introduced a world first high efficiency paint spray head which achieves 95% coating efficiency (compared to 60-70% coating efficiency previously). So they are already cutting costs as they introduce the new spray heads into manufacturing plants.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-electrostatic-spray-head/

So I saved about 5 gramms of weight with a cheap paint finish but added a fair bit in comparison with a bi tone roof and don't forget the weight of the spare wheel and it's accessories that isn't listed on the spec sheet so all things considered the weight thing is still a Red Herring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deano68 said:

So I saved about 5 gramms of weight with a cheap paint finish but added a fair bit in comparison with a bi tone roof and don't forget the weight of the spare wheel and it's accessories that isn't listed on the spec sheet so all things considered the weight thing is still a Red Herring. 

Obviously you didn't save the '5g' in weight - the manufacturer did.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 3:39 PM, Tomv said:

I am surprised to see this money/weight saving thing on "visible" areas I thought it was used only on areas that are covered by trim or carpets.

Wonder If my car has it, will check in the evening.

Tomv

There's definitely weight saving on the front passenger footwell (RHD). I've noticed the carpet there is spanning a hollow, almost structural carpet 😅

• Haha 1

I have noticed that too, but I would rather choose weight saving carpet then paint 😀

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links