Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door Side Moulding Protection - 2021 RAV4

Trebor64

Hi Members

Has anyone installed side door mouldings on their 5th Generation RAV4? Is there an aftermarket kit available?

Some very kind person ( not) has kindly opened their car door and slightly dented the ridge on the rear n/s passenger door. The ridge is above the bottom black trim. I have tried to highlight the area on the photo. ( Incidentally, the photo was taken before the damage was done) Many thanks.

FB_IMG_1634385854999.jpg

9 hours ago, Trebor64 said:

Hi Members

Has anyone installed side door mouldings on their 5th Generation RAV4? Is there an aftermarket kit available?

Some very kind person ( not) has kindly opened their car door and slightly dented the ridge on the rear n/s passenger door. The ridge is above the bottom black trim. I have tried to highlight the area on the photo. ( Incidentally, the photo was taken before the damage was done) Many thanks.

FB_IMG_1634385854999.jpg

It must have been a big 4x4 to go over the side steps, the side moldings Mike has posted look good the Toyota ones are 4 times the price and are intended to fitted higher up the door.

Get some photos up if you fit them, could be tempted when mine arrives! 🙂

Thankyou for your comments.  I am now looking at a S.M.A.R.T repair, but one workshop wants to respray both doors to blend in the paint? It's a small dent, surely it doesn't warrant a respray? Has anyone used a S.M.A.R.T repair Company ie: Chips Away/ Revive etc?

What's the point of doing both doors as the front and rear wings will show if there is any mismatch, just looking at the picture the paint is broken so it will need some paint work but to me it should be doable just in the area, the dent looks repairable by a good dent remover, try asking at an upmarket car dealer (like a Porsche center) as they will know someone who does a good job.

The dent itself does not look like a car door has hit it as there would be a gradual scuff due to the arc of the door, unless you know otherwise.

Hi Roger N

Thankyou for your comments. I have now been recommended by my detailer to use a ' Dent man'. Just need to clarify some details. I presumed it was an offending door, but now you explain it, it could be something else. Unfortunately,  I will never find out. Thanks once again.

Yea that is a bit weird, dents with unbroken paint can be pulled or tapped out by a skilled dent repairer usually.

re. paint scratches, my mate with his stupid giant pocket key chain put a 2cm scratch in my passenger door 4 months in from when I owned it, but I had the smart repair insurance from the dealer and they use Shine! for their repairs so took advantage of that.

I thought he might be able to polish it out and re-lacquer it, but he wetted it and the scratch was still visible so he opted to sand it out and repaint it.

Gotta say he did a stunning job matching the paint and even reapplied the supagard coating on the affected area afterwards. Took a few hours to apply all the coats and cure everything with his heat lamps and such but the repair is indistinguishable. No idea how much they charge normally, but it was really well done.

On my last car a had some supermarket trolley rash and the chips away man did a fantastic job, really impressed with well match paint for the car at 3 years old (red).

I had two repairs done on my company A3, one on insurance and one by "Chips Away" or similar. The insurance repair, which involved the whole front wing and bumper was perfect and you couldn't tell it had been done. The rear wing was ok and not picked up when I returned the car, but I could tell that it had been done. It is down to the individual who actually carries out the repair, but at leaf with the Toyota repair there is some comeback if you're not happy.