Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EGR issues Auris 08, 2.2 D-4D D-CAT

Auris08ster

Hi all,

I have an 2008 Auris, 2.2 D-4D D-CAT (Diesel) with 72,000 on the clock. 

I’ve had recurring issues with an EGR fault and after a lot of cleaning, have now had the part replaced. However the fault is still showing up after about 30mins driving. 

I’m taking the vehicle back to the mechanics and want advice on what to ask them to do next (they’ve checked the part and installation again already). The older posts on this forum have been really helpful - thanks! - so my plan is to suggest that they:

1) Remove, clean and refit the intake manifold

2) check air intake, DPF or exhaust isn’t blocked or restricted 

3) check and clean Mass Air Flow sensor

4) check exhaust gas cooling solenoid

am I missing anything?

if it helps, I only do long motorway drives (100mile +) so it isn’t like the vehicle isn’t getting long runs. But as a result, the lack of reliability is becoming a major problem and I really don’t want to have to buy a new vehicle!

thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, Auris08ster said:

I’ve had recurring issues with an EGR fault

What are the issues?

7 minutes ago, Stivino said:

What are the issues?

Recurring Amber warning light on the dash, putting the car into ‘safe mode’. When diagnostics are run it shows as EGR fault. I’ve had it cleaned multiple times, and now had the part replaced. However following the replacement. The ‘amber warning’ still occurs. 

Just because it shows as EGR fault doesn’t mean that the EGR valve is faulty.  It can be other things like a carbon build up in and around the EGR valve or inlet manifold.

14 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Just because it shows as EGR fault doesn’t mean that the EGR valve is faulty.  It can be other things like a carbon build up in and around the EGR valve or inlet manifold.

Thanks for replying ! Sorry it seems my longer post isn’t showing up beyond the title.

Basically, I’m taking it back to the mechanics and want to offer suggestions on what they look at next was going to ask them to:

1) Remove, clean and refit the intake manifold

2) check air intake, DPF or exhaust isn’t blocked or restricted 

3) check and clean Mass Air Flow sensor

4) check exhaust gas cooling solenoid

if that sounds sensible?

When they removed the old EGR valve, they should have seen if there was a build up of carbon in the intake manifold, I would be very surprised if it didn’t have a build up of carbon in there.

The problem you are having is not unique to you, there is lots of sob stories about this on the internet. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to see a definitive remedy.

Good Evening The car behaves normally on the track; When you accelerate it responds normally; Clean the EGR radiator, and the flap between the EGR and the radiator, and if it continues to damage, clean the throttle body

It would be useful to know what the fault code is in the car, The most common/likely code will be P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow and the EGR valve could be a potential cause however the fault is not specific to the valve what the car is seeing is a lack of change when instructing the EGR valve open " Mass air flow rate is not changed when turning on the electric EGR control valve while decelerating.(2 trip detection logic)" Areas of potential issue are:

1. EGR valve deposit
  2. EGR valve passage deposit
  3. Air intake system (leaks or blockages)
  4. Exhaust gas leaks
  5. ECM
  6. Mass air flow meter
  7. Manifold absolute pressure sensor

If as say one of the EGR valves is new then it is unlikely this is the fault however there is way more to the EGR circuit than one valve, see:

image.thumb.png.8e5e22a89ec61389493eb814f68f47b5.png

on this engine Exhaust gas exits the exhaust manifold into the EGR cooler ( known to block and restrict gas flow ) see green line, after the cooler gas passes through the primary EGR valve see blue line, from here it passes through the cylinder head see purple line then finally through the secondary EGR ( likely the one you have had replaced) see red line

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

It would be useful to know what the fault code is in the car, The most common/likely code will be P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow and the EGR valve could be a potential cause however the fault is not specific to the valve what the car is seeing is a lack of change when instructing the EGR valve open " Mass air flow rate is not changed when turning on the electric EGR control valve while decelerating.(2 trip detection logic)" Areas of potential issue are:

1. EGR valve deposit
  2. EGR valve passage deposit
  3. Air intake system (leaks or blockages)
  4. Exhaust gas leaks
  5. ECM
  6. Mass air flow meter
  7. Manifold absolute pressure sensor

If as say one of the EGR valves is new then it is unlikely this is the fault however there is way more to the EGR circuit than one valve, see:

image.thumb.png.8e5e22a89ec61389493eb814f68f47b5.png

on this engine Exhaust gas exits the exhaust manifold into the EGR cooler ( known to block and restrict gas flow ) see green line, after the cooler gas passes through the primary EGR valve see blue line, from here it passes through the cylinder head see purple line then finally through the secondary EGR ( likely the one you have had replaced) see red line

Thanks for replying, this is really helpful. Yes the error code is P0400 ‘Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow’ so I’ll mention this to the mechanics. Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links