Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav update.

diverdave

I have a 2020 Prius Excel and I want to update the map software but I am having a bit of trouble, I have done it on a previous Prius but am having difficulty with this one. The website says that I have to register my multimedia device first , but my one is none of the choice of four that they give you, and I cant find the software to download to a USB which I did last time. Can someone tell me where I can find step by step instructions on how I can do this, otherwise I may have to ask the dealership to do it on my next service which is due next month.

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't the head unit of your Gen 4 support Android Auto/Apple Carplay?

If that is the case, your 2020 model is probably not fitted with the SatNav module that your last Prius had?

By "download to a USB which I did last time", I'm assuming you meant on your last Prius, yes?

What does it say when you press the "Nav" button? Perhaps post a quick photo of your head unit here?

2 hours ago, diverdave said:

I have a 2020 Prius Excel and I want to update the map software but I am having a bit of trouble, I have done it on a previous Prius but am having difficulty with this one. The website says that I have to register my multimedia device first , but my one is none of the choice of four that they give you, and I cant find the software to download to a USB which I did last time. Can someone tell me where I can find step by step instructions on how I can do this, otherwise I may have to ask the dealership to do it on my next service which is due next month.

Thanks in advance.

I had a 2016 gen 4 Prius Excel until recently. Got it when 20 months old and kept it for 3 year 9 months. I was told it had 3 year free upgrade of maps, which would have taken it to sep/oct 2019. My local Toyota dealer did it for me whilst under the three year free. I stopped updating it when I had to start paying for it.  Perhaps your on a sililar scheme but you need the dealer to do it free. best ask them.

You should be able to update the maps via the unit itself.
Connect the sat nav to your wifi and select the 'online' section in settings (I think) and log into your My Toyota account, that should then link the Sat Nav ect.
For some reason it doesn't show in the old estore like previous Sat Nav's.
I have a feeling that if you download the My T phone app it guides you though activating the connected services etc (I'm surprised the dealer didn't do that, as they are supposed to)

Thanks all for your replies, just spent two hours trying to solve this with no luck, I managed to register the head unit, and Estore is installed but I cant get into the estore via the head unit or mytoyota to find the map download. Jonathan thanks for your suggestion but the My T phone app has no guide about downloading connected services.

CPN when I press the Nav button I just get the map, no button to upgrade.

Catlover I think that I am going to have to take your advice and ask the dealership to do it for me, I hope that they don't try to charge me. Why do they make it so difficult. 

It maybe worth trying it again in a few hours time. It may take a while to appear.
The first map update didn't show in the estore, but the 2022 update did.
If it's connected to the Wifi you should be able to find the 'update map' option in the menu. I think it's part of the 'online' section and not the 'software' section that you would think it would be under.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

I had a 2016 gen 4 Prius Excel until recently. Got it when 20 months old and kept it for 3 year 9 months. I was told it had 3 year free upgrade of maps, which would have taken it to sep/oct 2019. My local Toyota dealer did it for me whilst under the three year free. I stopped updating it when I had to start paying for it.  Perhaps your on a sililar scheme but you need the dealer to do it free. best ask them.

Hi Joe, i note that you’ve changed your car for a Skoda CityGo. Are you driving the ev version of the CityGo or is it the normal ice version?

Our 2017 Gen4  business edition had the latest satnav installed as part of the new car purchase. I also tried to update the satnav myself in the first year. It was an utter disaster and the whole thing locked up. The dealer had the car for several days and in the end they changed the complete satnav unit and said for all future updates let us do it.  After the three years free updates I have not bothered with updates. Covid restrictions etc have restricted any travelling. 

I am surprised to hear you changed your Gen 4 Joe. You were always so enthusiastic about it. Hope you get lots of satisfaction from your new car.

5 hours ago, diverdave said:

Thanks all for your replies, just spent two hours trying to solve this with no luck, I managed to register the head unit, and Estore is installed but I cant get into the estore via the head unit or mytoyota to find the map download. Jonathan thanks for your suggestion but the My T phone app has no guide about downloading connected services.

CPN when I press the Nav button I just get the map, no button to upgrade.

Catlover I think that I am going to have to take your advice and ask the dealership to do it for me, I hope that they don't try to charge me. Why do they make it so difficult. 

You can't access MyT from the head unit nor can you via the MyT app on smartphone, you can either;

• Access MyT via a web browser on a PC >then eStore > Map update 2022V1 it will initially show a cost add it to your basket then checkout, here it will realise it is FOC > checkout , then download to PC, ( take note of the Alphanumeric code you will need this ) extract the download on the PC then transfer to USB, ignition on into Ready mode, plug in USB, wait and then follow prompts, this update the entire western Europe map set.
  • Or in car connect the car either via head unit WIFI to your home network or if you have unlimited data and a good signal connect via bluetooth to phone and use tethering or hotspot then on the head unit select, setup button, then Online in LH menu set > Toyota online , ensure your MyT user and password are set > map update > check for update then follow prompts this will update just UK & Ireland map set to latest and leave other countries on the installed set.

Thanks for that information Lee, I accessed My T and got to the stage where it wanted me to input the software of my system it then said this is  not applicable to this system so I couldn't download it, the system shown on the website is from an older Prius system it doesn't have the 2020 system onwards., I then tried  to do it in car, I got as far as your instruction from pressing the setup button then online then there is no map update option, just map software info, so it seems that you can no longer update the sat nav yourself anymore on the latest Prii . Seems like I will have to go to the dealership and ask them to do it.

Thanks again for the info.

19 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Joe, i note that you’ve changed your car for a Skoda CityGo. Are you driving the ev version of the CityGo or is it the normal ice version?

Hi Trevor, we both in our 70’s now, I just turned 75, and our mileage is not like it used to be pre covid, and I don’t think it will go up substantially, so I took advantage of the high prices given for used cars. For example the Auris hybrid which was my first hybrid, we had it almost 5 years and got £700 less than I paid for it. My CitiGo is 2015 with 34k miles. It’s the 75bhp petrol model, wife’s is a bit older 60bhp. They very nippy, surprisingly so, yet still got weight in the car, more so I think then the Aygo I was thinking of.

18 hours ago, Chris Dance said:

I am surprised to hear you changed your Gen 4 Joe. You were always so enthusiastic about it. Hope you get lots of satisfaction from your new car.

Hi Chris, yes I was enthusiastic about the Prius Excel, and still am. Best car I ever had (and likely to have). Again, for the mileage we now do it was a lot of money tied up in a car, so again, took advantage of the high used car prices.

Within reason, I not too bothered what I drive, big-small, lots of toys-not so many, I have no hang ups. Actually I like driving the CitiGo. The wife said she wanted a smaller car too, and plumped for a CitiGo while I was driving mine back home up through the centre of Wales after I bought it (Bridgend to Chester).

Yes, I loved the Prius, sad to see it being driven off, but memories will last.

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. Regarding age I’m catching you up as I’ll be 73 next week. I have to admit I was a bit shocked at your decision to drop your Prius but I certainly agree with your decisions. Like you we don’t do much mileage these days & as I’ve mentioned before since my last service in August 2021, I’ve done less than 3,000 miles! I might consider a smaller car in future but I’m fairly sure I shall be considering an ev, but as you know those that have any decent range tend to be larger vehicles.

However, my Prius is running so smoothly at the moment & I’m in no hurry to change especially as evs  might be more affordable in the future. I hope you enjoy your new car & would like to thank you for your invaluable advice & help, which I really have appreciated. With your experiences & knowledge of the Prius, I hope you will still offer any advice for folks on this blog. Take care, Trev. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for reply Joe. I also do not do so many miles now I am old; in fact older than you. I intend to drive our Gen 4 for as long as I can then pass it on to one of my sons. Our car has only done 11,000 miles in 5 years. I do understand your reason for changing and the Skoda is a decent car. Best wishes for the future.

• Thanks 1

I'm a lot older than Joe, done 11,000 miles in last 12 months and 500 this week alone - mother in law at one end of the county and grandchildren the other.  A round trip is 200 miles.  

Since March over 2,000 and we were in a cruise for two weeks.

😑

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Taken my Prius in for its second service this morning and the nice man in the dealership said that they would upgrade the sat nav free of charge, though it meant waiting another hour and a half to download it.