Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Corolla doesn't exist!

RONNIECOROLLA

Hi all -

My car is a 2001 (Y reg.) 1.6 VVTi Corolla 5-door hatchback, made in GB. Why is it whenever I want to buy parts online it often seems the 1.6 VVTi didn't exist until 2002?? Or if I'm invited to enter the reg. the part is invariably incompatible? Should I simply say my car is 2002 1.6 VVTi and assume the part will fit my car?

The particular part I'm after is the rear offside caliper - one seller even asked if I had an electronic hand brake? Unfortunately until my mechanic (my son!) is available I can't look at the existing part but I was hoping to buy the replacement in advance. Considering millions of Corollas have been sold I'm surprised I have this problem. Can someone advise and also tell me the difference between hatchback and liftback - is the liftback 2-door?

Regards.

The 8th generation Corolla (1997-2001) was sold as 3 door hatchback, 5 door liftback, 4 door saloon, and 5 door estate.

The 1.4 and 1.6VVTi engines were introduced in February 2001 - only 1 year before the 9th generation Corolla (a completely different design) went on sale in the UK. These engines were carried forwards into the 9th generation.

The fact the VVTi engines were only in your version of the Corolla for a year before the car was replaced, is probably where your issue lies, as third party parts lists aren't always up to date/accurate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that information - so my car is definitely 8th generation?

I've always referred to it as a 4/(5?)-door hatchback and in fact it's listed on the registration certificate as a 5-door hatchback? Other information says it's a ZZE112(L) variant and ZZE112R-DLPNKW(2E) version.

One seller assured me (I think in good faith) that my car was a Corolla IX (E120) and that their caliper was compatible (OEM No. 47730-02110, Manufacturer Part No. HZT-TY-011).

So although the 1.6  VVTi engine is used in 8th and 9th generation Corollas, I presume the brake calipers may differ?

Regards.

The aftermarket is very hit and miss with reg numbers especially if the car has a private plate on it at some point in its life

ZZE112 = E110 L on the end is LHD drive, R means RHD

Pm me your VIN and what caliper you require and I can look up the oem part number for you

• Thanks 1

Hi Bob – thanks for that and apologies for my delayed reply. In fact I just made a lengthy reply and it vanished?!

I’m still unsure if my car is a liftback or hatchback! – the reg. certificate refers to it as a hatchback. But  I do know it’s RHD and has 4 doors! I’m also unsure if it’s an E11 or E12 chassis but the reg. certificate mentions type approval as e11….etc. Plus I don’t know if it’s a 3ZZ-FE engine?  – it probably is as that’s what’s listed for a 2001 1.6 VVTi saloon.

But it’s annoying and confusing, especially if a seller says their part is NOT suitable.

In a listing I viewed, their caliper apparently fits a 2001 1.6 hatchback (there was no 1.6 VVTi option) and although there was a change of engine to 1.6 VVTi in 2001 I would think the brake system was unaltered?

On a website where I input my reg. number it returned my car as a Corolla IX hatchback (E120) 1.6 VVTi (ZZE121) - I'm not sure if that's correct? It gave OEMs 47730-02111 and 47730_02110 for the caliper.

Regards.

please remove you VIN from your post

i will post the info shortly

• Thanks 1

Built - 03/2001

Model - ZZE112R-DLPNKW (E112 makes it a late E110)

Paint - 6R8

Engine - 3ZZFE

gearbox -  Auto 4FC

Yes, it's a Liftback

Right rear caliper - 47730-02090 (11/1999 to 11/2001)

Edit.  On your car the handbrake is part of the caliper, 11/2001 (E120) onwards they changed to a hand brake that uses shoes inside the brake disc/drum

Autodoc can be hit and miss, and they love to bait and switch items with their own brand Chinesium

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all that info Bob, you know my car better than I do! - although you didn't mention the colour! It's embarassing not to fully spec my car but you'd think reg. no. would suffice (but not all ask for it). Am I right in thinking if a caliper is ok for a 2001 1.6, it should be ok for a 2001 1.6 VVTi?I've also seen that OEM you mention before, are the two I gave incorrect?

I've called my car a hatchback for over 20 years so doubt I'll be able to change!

Re. giving VIN no., is cloning the danger?

Thanks again.

Regards.

Hi Bob, if/ or when you see this, can I trouble you again as you seem to have a very reliable Toyota “Bible”.

As I’ve said it’s annoying and confusing  to have a model that's caught between one version and the next. In most sellers’ charts if I enter 2001 (or 02) SALOON I have the option of a 1.6VVTi (FWD E12) engine. But if I enter 2001 liftback/ or hatchback  I only have the option of a 1.6 (FWD E11)or 1.4 VVTi engine (FWD E12)?

But can you confirm my Corolla is a Series 8 as many sellers that ask for the reg. number tell me I have a Series 9 (IX)??

And what do E112, E12, E11 refer to, is it the chassis type?

The most reasonably priced caliper I’ve found (with the OEM you gave me) is made by Stark - do you know if this is a reputable make?

Regards.

Stark is autodoc's own brand mostly chinese tat

Yours is a

LB - Liftback

Paint - 6R8 - The paint code is what you need when looking for paint the same colour can have many names - yours should be Coniston Green, Quails Green or just Green Mica Met.

https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Toyota-Corolla-2000-UK.pdf

E11 and E12 are the same as E110 and E120 its the model type, the 3rd digit is a variation of the car say a facelift, companies use the 2 digit code to cover all types of that body shape

As previously posted, your model is a. - ZZE112R-DLPNKW

ZZ is the engine type, E112 makes it a late E110 and R is for right hand drive

regarding the vin, this is a open public forum, its not wise to put vin numbers and reg's in public view as it can be traced

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Bob, I feel really well-informed now! You didn't mention the Series but I'm fairly sure it's a Series 8.

Shame about Stark, I was under the impression it was German? - I believe the supplier was buycarparts (uk). I've seen various makes ranging in price from £30 to £70+. And of course ideally I should replace 2 (at least).

Regards.

PS As I said I've been calling it a hatchback for 20 years, a hard habit to break!

Autodoc run 100's of sites throughout Europe there are at least 8 that are aimed at the UK, in some circles they are known as the German car part mafia - be aware they like to bait and switch parts, and it's usually too late to cancel the order by the time you realize

E11 or E110 is 05/1997 to 11/2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_(E110)

A brief look on eurocarparts a Pagid caliper is £124 plus £35 core charge (refunded) - that's the issue with older cars, the parts demand goes down so the prices go up

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Bob. I've seen Pagid parts, pricey but presumably dependable.

That previous pdf link was also very useful and informative - that's MY car!

Regards, Ron.

Hi Bob – I saw it there at £120 + £36 “core charge”, refunded  when the old part is returned – provided it is “re-serviceable”, else no refund!

I value your opinion – what do you think of NK (part 2145220) from onlineautomotive? – and no apparent core charge. I won’t be too upset if you slag ‘em off!

My son (who’s more clued up than me) suggests buying from a physical auto store as they have a less anonymous reputation to protect. Or at least checking their price.

If/ when my Corolla passes its MoT (it failed on a sticking rear right brake – presumably the caliper) I’d only do less than 1,000 miles per year as a second car that’s a joy to drive.

I appreciate the first thing is to be absolutely sure it is the caliper - although it seems very likely.

Regards, Ron.

(That NK caliper is £71).

The issue with online is getting the correct part, if it's wrong it means return postage and time, find a local motor factors and get a few prices, as it a second car, i would pop the caliper off and see if it free's up, if cost is an issue, and it isn't too bad rebuild the caliper

this style of caliper, you can wind the piston in and out (usually gets wind in when doing pads) working it back and forth a few times may free it off

https://www.nk-autoparts.com/en/about/nk-the-reliable-part

• Thanks 1

Hi Bob, thanks for your swift reply.

I originally gave that company all the relevant car details and that's the part they advised. There's no OEM given in their listing so I asked and they said it cross-references to the correct OEM (ie 47730-02090). Not sure if I'm up to the job, especially renovation rather than a simple swap. But my son is - not least because he seems to have made off with all my tools from the past! He says I gifted them (and relies on my shaky memory!). Cost is partly an issue but mainly in terms of subsequent benefit. Unfortunately I can't face parting with my Corolla - it's started first time, every time, for 20 years - even with a nearly drained Battery.

Regards, Ron.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Same problem, 2001 corolla 1.6 GS auto. zze112 model with 3zzfe engine, a425e gearbox. Can't get a strainer for the atf.