Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Planning on ordering new Corolla: Any advice, hints, suggestions??

2912pwil

After a Lexus GS then 2 Avensis's I'm now looking at buying a new car (1st time ever in my life, apart from company cars in the good old days).  And Corolla hatchback seems probable. Understand there's lead time out to November-ish (£250deposit apparently) .  The current Avensis, diesel, is still fine, but 110k+, noisy, clunky, might go on for years or go bang tomorrow.  Plus with 1 sister, 2 sons, 2 DiLs & 5 grandkids inside North/South Circular Ulez is becoming important.  I've taken one for a 20 minute test drive and was surprised how OK it seems to be, especially the seat (I have 2 crushed vertebrae so seats matter: Lining up for a 2-hour test drive c/o Mr T).  74 and doing less and less driving.

May I humbly ask members, any particular suggestions as to what to do/avoid/check?? Off the top of my head current list includes wondering about....

- General advice

- Space saver ? (never used the one in my current for almost 7 yr I've had Avensis, 110k+..) or TRK?? I do go to the Highlands of Scotland ..

- Android Auto? Use my current 'phone a lot: does it work OK? 

- Where position/display/charge mobile ‘phone?

“Known faults”??

Why bother with higher than ICON spec? It seems to have all I think I need (DaB, SatNav, Cruise, reversing camera)

How do map updates work? (Or don't bother & use Android Google Maps??)

Any extras / accessories worth having?

Any other thoughts? 

Best regards & thanks in advance!

Hey,

Just to answer a few points

- Generally if you are not looking for a faster response to throttle input and look more towards fuel economy, go for the 1.8 which is very frugal and a good performer, if you are looking for a generally quicker and not bothered about fuel economy the 2.0 is the one to choose, it is around 10mpg less on average compared Tony the 1.8.

- 1.8 engines have the option of a spare tyre, whereas all 2.0 engines come with a TRK. This is because the 12v Battery is in the boot. You also have larger boot space with the 1.8 engine compared to the 2.0 (Might change with spare tyre)

- Android Auto is plug-in only on all trims, so you will need to plug the USB cable in for Android Auto to work. How well this works though I couldn't answer, but someone else will be able to. I have not heard of any major problems as of yet.

- You can place your phone in the pocket in front of the gear lever, there is no wireless charging in the UK Corolla but USB ports available on the centre console and in the armrest cubby.

- ICON Spec main difference at the moment is that it currently has the older Toyota Touch 2 Sat Nav system which is slow and fairly dated now. You also have to update maps via USB with no over the air updates. ICON Tech and above have the new Toyota Connect which has over the air updates, new hardware meaning is is faster and easier to use. ICON Tech also has front and rear parking sensors included so this will add to your parking aids.

- Accessories wise, it is simply up to your preference whether you wish for cosmetics like the pan roof/JBL Speakers (Speakers of which have not had great reviews) or practical accessories like bumper protection on the boot. Personally I am getting a Pan Roof but that's the only extra chosen.

- I collect my Corolla next week, so couldn't provide personal experience with the Corolla and the new infotainment yet, but there are plenty here who can.

• Like 3

Definitely stick your details in Carwow, I saved 4.5 k on List price incl the Toyota deposit contribution, my local retailer matched the best quote on Carwow.

Space saver isn't exclusive to 1.8 models, my 2.0 GR sport has the space saver.( the retailer didn't know this either)

Economy is fantastic, we haven't run ours in yet and we are getting just shy of 60 mpg on a run.

The Heads up Display wasn't something I was bothered about but it works really really well and links great with the satnav.

Performance of the 2.0 litre is very good.

Android auto works well but the nav system on the 22my is good so we use that.

Connectivity is poor with regards usb ports (GR sport only has one)

Not tried any nav updates yet but it's included for 3 years

The hybrid system works very well and the display is great for getting the most from this.

We had our last car Subaru Impreza for 13 years so were a bit unsure of this car but we love it, it's not perfect but a great all rounder.

• Like 2

Space saver will not fit in 1.8 hatchback not without modifications which is around £1000 according to the parts dept at my local dealers unless the latest hatchback is different to mine also 1.8 hatch comes with a TRK as well.

would definitely go for the pan roof if you can afford it as it lets so much more light into the interior although it does lower the headlining by about an inch or so which may be a problem if you are tall.

sat nav updates are a pain in the backside to do as the Toyota website is the worst I have ever come across best to use waze via android auto (wonder if you can use android auto via bluetooth with the 2022 models). As Deano 68 said go on car wow and get a price my local dealer also matched car wow even though they did not participate in the scheme.

• Like 1

On a 1.8 Design hatch a spare wheel is a no cost option, but you do loose boot space.

There is no nav on Icon spec so you are restricted to USB cable Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

From Icon Tech and above you get built in nav, wireless Apple CarPlay & USB cable Android Auto.  The Icon Tech also includes front and rear parking sensors and keyless entry.

Going to a Design the differences are mainly cosmetic, except auto wipers, auto folding mirrors and a self dimming interior mirror

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

Space saver will not fit in 1.8 hatchback not without modifications which is around £1000 according to the parts dept at my local dealers unless the latest hatchback is different to mine also 1.8 hatch comes with a TRK as well.

would definitely go for the pan roof if you can afford it as it lets so much more light into the interior although it does lower the headlining by about an inch or so which may be a problem if you are tall.

sat nav updates are a pain in the backside to do as the Toyota website is the worst I have ever come across best to use waze via android auto (wonder if you can use android auto via Bluetooth with the 2022 models). As Deano 68 said go on car wow and get a price my local dealer also matched car wow even though they did not participate in the scheme.

The my22 is wireless Apple CarPlay only, Android Auto is still cabled.

• Like 2

Thanks people, all very insightful! Much obliged!

I’ve had a 1.8 Auris and Corolla GRSport, changed to 2l GRSport, wow, gone from 122hp to 184, for 5mpg, no contest, go for 2l, I got a spare wheel as standard too. I’ve switched to CarPlay , wireless, so much better than android and I’d used that for a decade

• Like 1

Briefly:

No need to go above the basic Icon really. You don't get sat nav but if you plug in your phone you will get better sat nav that way at nil cost. The extra cost for Icon Tech doesn't buy you a whole lot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Michael L said:

Briefly:

No need to go above the basic Icon really. You don't get sat nav but if you plug in your phone you will get better sat nav that way at nil cost. The extra cost for Icon Tech doesn't buy you a whole lot.

I would not want a car the size of a Corolla without parking sensors, but they are available as a separate option.

For me minimum trim level should be the design. Icon and icon tech more suitable for rental cars or lease vehicles where extras doesn’t count much and drivers change their cars often . Most useful of the design futures that lower trim levels does not have are fog lights, parking sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror, half leather seats, tinted windows and automated folding side mirrors. The only good thing about icon/icon tech is that they comes with 16” wheels that are the most suitable for that car size, most efficient, most comfortable and cheapest tyres plus wider selection. 👍

1 hour ago, Kental said:

I would not want a car the size of a Corolla without parking sensors, but they are available as a separate option.

This is an interesting point. My wife has a hearing impairment and hated the parking sensors on our previous car. So the Corolla with the rear view camera is perfect and we did not bother upgrading to the Icon Tech / purchasing the sensors as an add on. Also, for me parking sensors were always a bit like driving 'half blind', hoping they would pick-up any obstacle (which they may not, of course). Another case of personal preference, really. 

Go for TS estate if lugging grandkids and adults about. I went for an Auris TS as hatchback rather small and not much rear legroom. 1.8 for me as economy better.

James.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

For me minimum trim level should be the design. Icon and icon tech more suitable for rental cars or lease vehicles where extras doesn’t count much and drivers change their cars often . Most useful of the design futures that lower trim levels does not have are fog lights, parking sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror, half leather seats, tinted windows and automated folding side mirrors. The only good thing about icon/icon tech is that they comes with 16” wheels that are the most suitable for that car size, most efficient, most comfortable and cheapest tyres plus wider selection. 👍

You do get fog lights now on the Icon. I would have liked folding mirrors and an auto dimming rearview mirror, but then the Design spec has tinted rear windows, which my son hates 😅

• Like 1

1 useful feature the design has is automatic wipers

• Like 1

Auto wipers is the reason I went for design over icon tech. It's another one of those features you don't care about until you've had it then you miss it when you don't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardy888 said:

Auto wipers is the reason I went for design over icon tech. It's another one of those features you don't care about until you've had it then you miss it when you don't.

That’s right. 
My most important futures that I use every day and my next car should have: 

1. Smart entry and push start button 

2. Rear tinted windows 

3. One touch seat recliner or electric with memory function 

4. Fog lights 

5. Auto dimming rear view mirror 

6. Standard wheels and tyres preferred but that I can change myself 

7. Auto wipers and auto lights are positive addition but not necessary for me as I like to manage driving myself. 
8. Been a Toyota hybrid or full electric, nothing else considered 🔋👌

23 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

4. Fog lights 

This is something I have always found a total waste of time, but, I am not a professional driver. I think the rear fog light is essential, though.

I have always found that, when visibility is a just a little bit compromised, i.e. visibility is down to, say, 500 metres, and people have them turned on they just dazzle.

Admittedly, I am coming from the perspective of someone who had astigmatism quite badly (implants because of cataracts fixed that nicely), I believe people without that problem would hardly notice.

1 minute ago, Stopeter44 said:

This is something I have always found a total waste of time, but, I am not a professional driver. I think the rear fog light is essential, though.

I have always found that, when visibility is a just a little bit compromised, i.e. visibility is down to, say, 500 metres, and people have them turned on they just dazzle.

Admittedly, I am coming from the perspective of someone who had astigmatism quite badly (implants because of cataracts fixed that nicely), I believe people without that problem would hardly notice.

Hi Peter , 

I almost never use these for driving although they are helpful in fog and heavy rain,  but when going into dark places especially country lanes and places without street lights, these are ultra helpful. I just turn them on for a moment and I can see low down the road any potholes and kerbs or house numbers if I need to. Good addition definitely. 👍

• Like 2