Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Satnav updates

kochanski

I have a new 2021 Corolla. Previously I had to pay to update the satnav maps. Does this new satnav update itself (living in hope!) ?

I have a 2021 and so far my nav has had 4 free updates.

It does not update itself!  But updates are free for 3 years. 

Exactly as Roy124 says.Map updates are free for 3 years with Map Care. In the eStore, the maps will show at a cost of £119.00. Click on the maps and on the next page it will show the map cost is £0.00 with a note to say "Free via Map Care". It took me a while and some luck to figure this out.

Having used Android Auto in anger for the first time I've found something interesting. The turn-by-turn instructions do appear on the dash. They don't force themselves in front of whatever you're showing but if you 'page right' from the eco/fuel consumption page they are there.

However I have yet to work out how to adjust the volume of the voice used by Google maps. It does mean that I can easily hear it BUT SO CAN PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE CAR.

• Haha 1

Having an issue updating maps, I click on ‘Map Update’ and it keeps returning ‘Map update unavailable, contact your dealer’

12 hours ago, Kieranm9091 said:

Having an issue updating maps, I click on ‘Map Update’ and it keeps returning ‘Map update unavailable, contact your dealer’

The Toyota Smart Connect operators manual says that's normal.

Firmware updates over the air - map updates contact your dealer.

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The Toyota Smart Connect operators manual says that's normal.

Firmware updates over the air - map updates contact your dealer.

Oh that’s so archaic if they start that again…..

It's a brand new multimedia unit - Toyota may change how map updates are applied in the future.

For the time being - it's contact your dealer.

9 hours ago, forkingabout said:

It's a brand new multimedia unit - Toyota may change how map updates are applied in the future.

For the time being - it's contact your dealer.

Dealers won’t do it for free will they?

From reading the manual it appears the system only uses the onboard maps when it has no data connection otherwise it uses online maps so updates are less important.

I finally got my free download after over two hours partly in the car and partly online on my PC. The instructions are rubbish as is the help search. It does not even recognise the word Map in the search box. There was junk about First Use Date (FUD) but eventually the car, connected to my phone decided I was a good boy and everything would work. But I still had to realise that I had to search purchases to find my free map. Who writes this stuff?

Edited by kochanski
Typo