Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very interesting video about engine oil and the latest Rav4 2.5 dynamic force engine

TonyHSD

Great video and excellent results for the engine in our RAVs. I am curious though as to how the lubrication system works in the Hybrid and PHEV models. When changing over from Battery drive to engine assistance and or drive it starts and is immediatey running at load. How does this affect wear rates? I have looked and cannot find alot regarding how the lubrication system works in our engines, also the RAV in the video appeared to be a non hybrid model that is sold in the US and Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Firecycle said:

When changing over from battery drive to engine assistance

In the Prius (and so the RAV?), on a warm startup, the engine turns two revolutions with no ignition/injection, then starts two cylinders up, then (how long after? I can't remember exactly, one revolution? It was a while ago when I read it...!) fires on all four cylinders as per usual.

This is done for a smooth startup, I read in a technical description somewhere, but also presumably for lubrication reasons.

• Like 2

This video helps explain the Dynamic Force engine lubrication system

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am currently driving the previous generation hybrid engines 1.8 in my 2010 Auris and I have covered over 208k miles to date with no issues at all. At 140k miles I did cleaned the egr system and looked inside the engine where the valves are and they were clean as new. These new engines seems as good or even better and I will not hesitate to buy one for myself and take it on high mileage journey. One of the reasons I don’t want to get rid of my car and buy a new one is that I want to see how far I can take a hybrid and document every failure and part replacement. The car is still on everything original (except wheel bearings and brakes) and until becoming uneconomical to repair I will keep it on the road. Toyota does good cars indeed. 👌

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the build quality now is as good as it was in 2010 Tony.

My daughter has a 2010 RAV4 which they have had from new and seems to be a far more solid made vehicle than my 2021.

It is not particularly well looked after or driven sympathetically but soldiers on 😃

• Like 1

And honestly, that is the best thing you can do for emissions and the environment, not like these EV people who change cars every few months while still claiming their car is better for the environment!

The Auris does have some advantages over the Corolla still anyway - While the Corolla's drive train is much improved and has all these new toys, the practicality of the HB is not as good as the Auris - I feel it's more cramped and has less space and just isn't as comfortable (Esp. at the back!) compared to the Auris. (Which is somewhat ironic because I felt the same thing about the change from the previous Corolla to the Auris :laugh: )

I'm not sure how the Corolla would compare in terms of long distance comfort, esp. given the insane mileage you do! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Extremly impressive video. It could be interesting to see the other cars wear and tear. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm not sure how the Corolla would compare in terms of long distance comfort, esp. given the insane mileage you do! :laugh: 

Less than 20k miles a year doesn't seem that outlandish - unless it is not the primary car 😀

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Less than 20k miles a year doesn't seem that outlandish - unless it is not the primary car 😀

Oops, 50k miles a year 😉, the car was a low mileage until August 2018. But since then it’s my business car. I spent more time in then in my house. 🫣🏁

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

And honestly, that is the best thing you can do for emissions and the environment, not like these EV people who change cars every few months while still claiming their car is better for the environment!

The Auris does have some advantages over the Corolla still anyway - While the Corolla's drive train is much improved and has all these new toys, the practicality of the HB is not as good as the Auris - I feel it's more cramped and has less space and just isn't as comfortable (Esp. at the back!) compared to the Auris. (Which is somewhat ironic because I felt the same thing about the change from the previous Corolla to the Auris :laugh: )

If it has 16-17” wheels should be fine and particularly the saloon or estate versions. One of my colleagues had a hatchback gr sport 2.0 and he didn’t like at all. He said the seats were blocking his side views when changing lane on motorway. Seats could not go down flat enough for breaks because there was not enough leg room on the rear, and interior been too dark. Efficiency he said was average 47mpg, he did expected more since it’s a hybrid. I did asked about noise, refinement and performance, his answer was:  good 👍  for those three 👌 At the sea side now I have see a lots of TS icons as taxis. 

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Oops, 50k miles a year 😉, the car was a low mileage until August 2018. But since then it’s my business car. I spent more time in then in my house. 🫣🏁

Ahh, that's a chunky mileage every year now. Hybrid or not, the fuel price increase must hurt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Ahh, that's a chunky mileage every year now. Hybrid or not, the fuel price increase must hurt. 

Lol, yes definitely it’s hurting my pocket. ️🪫😢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Lol, yes definitely it’s hurting my pocket. ️🪫😢

And keeping you out of the pub, and the theatre, and the gigs, and the movies and the...................

• Like 2