Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust Toyota Auris 2007

ElisaWes1996

Hello, 

today we went to the garage for a check.  We have Toyota Auris from the year 2007. A lot of points came out of the check.  Mainly a big problem with rust.  The costs for this year are €1000.  Next year they expect that the subframe, rear axle and fuel line will have to be replaced.  They estimate the costs of this at €3000-4000. What is your advice and is this a known issue?

A 15-year-old car that needs 4,000 euros for this work, I do not think it is profitable, as later and in a short time it will present other problems - starter - water pump, wheel bearings, brake calipers, etc. Calculate how many kilometers you do per year You have to think very carefully and calculate accordingly the kilometers that the car has traveled.

Is the car driven a lot on wet and salted roads?

At 15 years old you are getting into the age where such issues can arise depending on how the car is used. I agree with the above post that it probably is not economical to spend much money on. It might also be worth getting a second opinion.

Rust is the enemy of all vehicles and at 15 years it is to be expected especially on a Japanese vehicle.

You also need to consider the safety aspect and that the vehicle is not a danger on the road to you and others.

Sometimes it's just not economical or indeed possible to fix it and the vehicle needs to go to that happy place for our retired friends. 😔

Do you have an actual picture, or it's just the words of the people that checked the gar?

They tend to create drama to make more money, and inflate prices.

Cars rust, that's how it is, it all depends how often you drive them, where you live, how much salt on the road, etc.

Unless you put some pictures of the car under body, cant really say, we're just guessing here.

Rust always looks bad and ugly, so people get afraid, but not always it's a danger to structural integrity of the car.

Again, need pictures.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was digging into rustproofing products and it does appear that lanolin based products work better than the rest. I have an old Astra that I dose with various rustproofing products. I've found that rust convertors of the sort that encapsulate the corrosion are not particularly effective, phosphoric acid based products seem more thorough at converting to phosphate. Waxoyl simply covers over the rust and it carries on merrily underneath. Dinitrol or Bilhamer products slightly better, but I'll give lanolin a go later this year. I think if rust is taking hold you've simply got to keep at it regularly to slow it down. 16 year old Vauxhall originally was better rustproofed than Toyota IMHO but still, subframes etc only had a lick of thin paint. (Not a recommendation for Vauxhall btw but some of their early 2000s cars were pretty good!)

• Like 2

Leaky gaskets are the best rustproofing there is. For a price of few liters of oil per year, you get a nice, thick coating.

Bonus points for being easily removed, and does not damage anything.

Too bad MOT places don't agree.

• Haha 3

Anybody any experiences with this lanoguard? Description on their website is promising.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, furtula said:

Leaky gaskets are the best rustproofing there is. For a price of few liters of oil per year, you get a nice, thick coating.

Bonus points for being easily removed, and does not damage anything.

Too bad MOT places don't agree.

Indeed 👌, that’s why German and French cars has less or no rust at all 😀

I have some small oil leak at two places and seems to work well. 😂